Canard design in SolidWorks

Kim Jorgensen

Looks nice. Couple of suggestions though, does it have enough fin area? Much has been written lately about the radius of a blended winglet, what are you trying to achieve with yours? The extensions on the strakes should extend further forward if you are trying to make more fore-arm room. It will go faster if the cowling encloses the engine...

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

Hi Spodman

Thanks for your reply, well for now I am just trying to get a nice out line. Something that will please my eyes. After that I will go over it again, to see if everything is right. So please keep comming with all your suggestions and ideas, they are all wellcome. :)

Did some more on the engine cowling and made som more for-arm room.

post-31052-141090169875_thumb.jpg

post-31052-141090169881_thumb.jpg

post-31052-141090169886_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Spodman

Thanks for your reply, well for now I am just trying to get a nice out line. Something that will please my eyes. After that I will go over it again, to see if everything is right. So please keep comming with all your suggestions and ideas, they are all wellcome. :)

Did some more on the engine cowling and made som more for-arm room.

engine size looks like it is half size unless you are doing a big scale long ez. cylinder bumps need to inline with the prop center line which is above the wing

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

As Spodman suggested, much has been discussed of late with respect to blended winglet intersection. The actual engineered solution (not aestetic) is for a 12" internal radius.

Additionally, why have a P51 scoop, a NACA is more likely to be actually used, and is it your intention to use up or down draft cooling? Please don't take this as critisism, far from it, it is to allow you to produce a more informed model.

Luv ya work,

Bruce.

... The actual engineered solution (not aestetic) is for a 12" internal radius.

I assume that you're talking about my recommendations to a number of people. As I've made absolutely clear to them, that number is a GUESS (albeit an educated one), based on tuft testing results and practical capabilities. It is NOT an "engineered solution". It may be the closest thing to it at this point in time, but there has been no "engineering" behind it. Please don't misrepresent me.

Hi All

And thanks for all the inputs, they will all be taken in to consideration as the design goes on.

Did not get much done today, but did get to play with putting a live size person in to the design. The engine that you see is a DeltaHawk Diesel, the nice thing is that I can download engine files direct for there homepage, that I can use in the design.

post-31052-141090169932_thumb.jpg

post-31052-141090169938_thumb.jpg

post-31052-141090169943_thumb.jpg

post-31052-141090169948_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

SolidWorks.. WOW

First.. Looks nice and wide! Nothing like extra comfort to get me drooling. I also like the f-16 style wrapped and elevated canopy.

What motor do you have modeled in the cowling? One of the new v-4 Diesels?

You will need some kind of extra rudder surface to help deal with moderate crosswinds during critical moments in flight ( Notably when you are closest to or on the ground) Dont want to end up off the field and into the trees :D

Keep up the awesome modeling. If you have a really good idea where the bulkheads are going to be, can you "slice" them out and post them to give us a better idea of how much room is available inside?

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Kim,

Great modelling !

As a relative 'newbie' to SW, would it be too much to ask you if I could gain access to yr file so I can see/understand the sweep & lofting aspects more fully? (I'm toying around trying to do a side by side version).

If you're ok with that pm me.:)

Thanks

- Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I assume that you're talking about my recommendations to a number of people. As I've made absolutely clear to them, that number is a GUESS (albeit an educated one), based on tuft testing results and practical capabilities. It is NOT an "engineered solution". It may be the closest thing to it at this point in time, but there has been no "engineering" behind it. Please don't misrepresent me.

Hi Marc, thanks for chiming in. I'm not certain what you mean about misrepresenting you as I made no reference to you. Please let me know what concerns you may have offline.

Hope things are well with you,

Bruce.

• Like 1

Hi Marc, thanks for chiming in. I'm not certain what you mean about misrepresenting you as I made no reference to you. Please let me know what concerns you may have offline.

Since the only reference to a 12" radius on the wing/winglet blend area was originally (at least to the people that I worked with, in the OSH presentations, and on-line that I've seen) mine, I ASSUMED (as I clearly stated in my posting) that you were referring to my recommendation.

If that's not the case, I'd certainly be VERY interested in seeing whatever other reference you have for a 12" radius.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Your design looks very nice. For what it's worth, Bruce Tift built a LongEze several years ago with the fuselage and canopy shaped like a high performance sailplane... rounded bottom like your design. I have some pictures of it around here somewhere. It looked beautiful, but he had to increase the angle of attack of the wing and go to a bigger engine to get it to fly decent because of the loss of lift with the rounded belly. At least that is what he told me when I saw the plane at Watsonville. Maybe someone on this forum knows more about that....

I have considered adding fences or chines to the belly of my VariEze similar to the bottom of a hydroplane, to keep the air from spilling up the sides of the fuselage, allowing me to reduce the landing speed or fly a flatter approach....? Don't know if it would work....just something I have been thinking about....:confused:

• Like 1

Life is much too Important to be taken Seriously

Bruce is no longer with us and I don't know much more than he told me he had to make those changes so it would "fly the same as a standard Long Eze". I don't know what happened to the plane.... maybe someone who knew him will be able to tell us more.... I will post some pictures when I find them...

Life is much too Important to be taken Seriously

• 14 years later...