Open EZ - Latest Infos (drawings)

SpaceShipOne

Hi all,

As a prospective builder of an Open EZ in Europe I wanted to open that topic in order to get the latest infos about the OEZ drawings.

As per the sticky post above, we have the zip files of the main drawings.

Do we have as we speak, a pdf file with the Roncz Canard available? If so, where is the link? I am sure I've seen one but I can't find it again in those pages.

Finally do we have available the high perf rudder also on pdf files?

Cheers

Tony

NB: I am a new Cozy plans holder but I had a ride in a LEZ this weekend and now I am all confused. It was soooo cool and I entered a questioning process: do I really need 4 seats? ;)

• 5 months later...

All of the plans are available on the RAF encyclopedia (TERF-CD). The only problem is that they are not to scale. There are however ways to scale the drawings.

How can I print the Roncz canard templtes to scale from the TerfCD´s file? Do you know the ecxactly size of the paper sheet to use for that?

• 9 years later...
On 1/8/2010 at 8:27 PM, raiki said:

Hi, all. I'm considering building an EZ and a few years ago I downloaded the file "Open-EZDrawingsRev5.ZIP". While examining the drawings today I noticed that several of the sheets are missing scale verification references (the X-Y reference opposite the dimensioned X-Y). I don't know if there is an updated file and the link above (I know it's from 2010) is no longer valid. I also see that Rev 5 has dimensional errors.

Also, are the TERF CDs still valid?

Thanks,

Gecko

Edited by Gecko

10 hours ago, Gecko said:

I noticed that several of the sheets are missing scale verification references (the X-Y reference opposite the dimensioned X-Y)

Which sheets and what format (.tif or .pdf)?  I looked as a few of the PDF drawings and they have the dimensions shown in the bottom corner.  There has been discussion about how to print them out to correct scale but I've never had to do that--had some original plans.

As I recall, the TERF CD is copyrighted and should not be copied from.  So are the EZ plans but Rutan has informally waived copyright.

• Thanks 1

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

On 6/16/2019 at 9:04 AM, Kent Ashton said:

Which sheets and what format (.tif or .pdf)?  I looked as a few of the PDF drawings and they have the dimensions shown in the bottom corner.  There has been discussion about how to print them out to correct scale but I've never had to do that--had some original plans.

As I recall, the TERF CD is copyrighted and should not be copied from.  So are the EZ plans but Rutan has informally waived copyright.

Both the PDF & TIFF drawings are missing part or all of the corner reference marks. Sheet A1 has the marks in the upper-left and lower-right (green circles). Sheet A3 are missing the marks in the upper-left and lower-right (red circles).

Is the thought (provided the same scaling is used) if Sheet A1 prints accurately then the remaining sheets will be accurate? 

I was told about Burt's informal waiver. I would actually purchase a TERF CD set if I were to build.

Thanks, Gecko

image.png

Did you see Jon's discussion of the template scale error here?   https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/20540-important-update-regarding-open-ez-rev-5-templates/

I see that Antonio took the PDF files to a printer and they printed out to the exact scale so maybe the scale noted in the corner is just a check and unnecessary.  https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/20331-openez-templates/?do=findComment&comment=46736

To compare printed size to actual, check for 11.5" from the C/L mark in the drawing to the added 23" dimension cross on the lower left corner.    The bottom of the IP bulkhead is very close to  W.L 2.5  (see 23"-20.5" = 2.5", plans p. 5-1).  "W.L. 10" is marked in the leg hole.

In the A3 sheet, the top of the longeron shown in the upper left corner is at W.L 23 as shown in the plans at p. 5.1  Also see "WL 3.2 marked at the bottom of the bulkhead in A3 and "18.9" marked on the centerline.  

That should give you assurance that the printouts are accurate.  I do not have the actual drawings any longer but I do have airfoil templates made from the actual drawings and will be glad to give you some dimension off them.  It is an Eppler airfoil.  Can't recall the number but I might be able to be print it from the ordinates.

-Kent

Thanks, Kent. I had seen John's post concerning the erroneous dimensions (I've done it while woodworking). I'll copy John's text into the PDF and annotate my drawings A/R. If I build I want to make sure it's correct the first time. I hope you can understand why I'm concerned about the lack of the opposing "witness marks".

BTY - Do you know how to remove images from the threads? The usual "delete", "right click", etc., didn't work and made it worse.

Thanks again, Gecko

Mi

26 minutes ago, Gecko said:

BTY - Do you know how to remove images from the threads? The usual "delete", "right click", etc., didn't work and made it worse.

I think you can select edit at the bottom of your post and then delete the photos.  Edit only works for a limited time.

-Kent

The tick marks aren’t in all four corners. All you need is x, y. I about lost my mind over it. Everything so far has turned out beautifully, much better then expected. I printed the templates on a plotter, they were pretty close,  however some small scale adjustments might be necessary. Make sure to read all the CP’s for the deviations, changes. 

• Thanks 1

FZ

Long eze ,  # 712    On Chapter 11 and 14  Chapter 13 and 16 done. 

Cozy Mark 4 # 1777  Chapter 5,  build on hold. 

Sorry for the late response everyone -- I must have been on vacation or something when this exchange scrolled past my feed.  My new "system" won't let that happen again.

On 6/15/2019 at 10:39 PM, Gecko said:

While examining the drawings today I noticed that several of the sheets are missing scale verification references (the X-Y reference opposite the dimensioned X-Y). I don't know if there is an updated file and the link above (I know it's from 2010) is no longer valid. I also see that Rev 5 has dimensional errors.

Also, are the TERF CDs still valid?

The sheets were only meant to have X-Y references from a single common point.  The next revision eliminates this confusion, which is still a work in progress.

Rev 5 does not have dimensional errors, but does have labeling errors which are detailed in this post.  The next revision will correct this as well.

On 6/16/2019 at 12:49 PM, Gecko said:

Is the thought (provided the same scaling is used) if Sheet A1 prints accurately then the remaining sheets will be accurate? 

Thank you for taking the time to illustrate your concern, nice job!  But... the the red marks you noted in A3 are accurate and would otherwise be identical to A1 if you rotated A3 180 degrees.  Again, this is being addressed in the next revision.

When printing the sheets, you need to verify each.  While I would be more confident if I witnessed the printing job, to verify same paper, same printer, same settings, same operator, etc. than if I hadn't, I would still verify each individual sheet.  However, I wouldn't get upset over something that was 0.1" off.  I would just cut inside or outside the lines when the time came (just make a note for yourself on the paper).

On 6/16/2019 at 3:12 PM, Gecko said:

Thanks, Kent. I had seen [Jon's] post concerning the erroneous dimensions (I've done it while woodworking). I'll copy John's text into the PDF and annotate my drawings A/R. If I build I want to make sure it's correct the first time. I hope you can understand why I'm concerned about the lack of the opposing "witness marks".

[BTW] - Do you know how to remove images from the threads? The usual "delete", "right click", etc., didn't work and made it worse.

Dimensions/captions... I figured woodworkers would recognize the root cause at some point.  You've got it, and I do acknowledge the need for having 4 corners of verifiable 90 degree marks.

On 6/17/2019 at 8:49 AM, sixfivelrp said:

The tick marks aren’t in all four corners. All you need is x, y. I about lost my mind over it. Everything so far has turned out beautifully, much better then expected. I printed the templates on a plotter, they were pretty close,  however some small scale adjustments might be necessary. Make sure to read all the CP’s for the deviations, changes. 

Good to hear, and definitely an important point to read  through all the CPs and make whatever updates are specified.  Completed, the Open-EZ will have rewritten plans that incorporates all changes form the Canard Pusher newsletters.

The Open-EZ templates are available in the Downloads section here.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV