Long-Ez Canopy mod

MikeD

Has anyone removed the two bracing bars from the rear of the canopy? I plan to add a hoop type of brace on the inside of the canopy and then remove the crossbars to allow the passenger headrest to go further back. Anybody see any problems?

MikeD

Tell me and I forget.

Show me and I remember.

Involve me and I understand.

I never installed them. Instead. I added 5 layers of the BID tape (the stuff used for wing spars) to strengthen the hoop part.

I also added a bar across the mid section to support the gas spring to open/close the canopy.

Check out the installation at

http://www.iflyez.com/Canopy_Stay.shtml

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

WAITER! SOMEBODY STOLE YOUR AIRPLANE!

I looked at your canopy stay (Great solution by the way, overcenter up and down) and when I went to look at Watch Waiter Work ...... the plane was GONE!

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

I never installed them. Instead. I added 5 layers of the BID tape (the stuff used for wing spars) to strengthen the hoop part.

I also added a bar across the mid section to support the gas spring to open/close the canopy.

Check out the installation at

http://www.iflyez.com/Canopy_Stay.shtml

Waiter

sombody took your plane

?

Steve M. Parkins

As Mike pointed out in a PM, If you do the mod on the canopy, you need to use UNI tape, the same stuff thats used for the wing spar caps.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Has anyone removed the two bracing bars from the rear of the canopy? I plan to add a hoop type of brace on the inside of the canopy and then remove the crossbars to allow the passenger headrest to go further back. Anybody see any problems?

MikeD

Mike I made 2 taper pins that fit into the canopy with a spring loaded receptacle that is mounted on the stringer. When you shut the canopy the tapered pins fit into their respective receiver and center the canopy. It works slick. I had a machinist friend make me 5 pins and receivers and ended up only using two. I paid $300.00 bucks for them and I have 3 left. If you are interested I will let 2 go cheep and I will keep a spare for my self just in case.

If you go out to wildbird.zenfolio.com and look at picture 57 and 58 you can see them. Obviously they were only roughed in at this point.

WildBird

I never added them and have had no issues with the canopy spreading. I have no extra plys &/or no pins/receptacles.My canopy goes all the way back to the firewall in one piece - there is no turtle-deck. This WAS to cover cowl screws (like Joe LaCour's AMAZING Long EZ), but in the end I just added a lip for convenience as it's tough to get to the screws on the lower canopy side of the firewall.

I was planning on adding receptacles and pins per Ken Miller's suggestions, but I didn't like drilling in to the longerons. If you do want to add receptacles, use your engine mount extrusions as fastening location IMO rather than longerons.

Cheers,

Wayne Blackler

IO-360 Long EZ

VH-WEZ (N360WZ)

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

http://v2.ez.org/feature/F0411-1/F0411-1.htm

Wildbird, Thanks for the offer.

I've had a look at your pictures in the past and have been intending to duplicate the method of securing the front right hand corner of the canopy. As far as the rear portion of the canopy is concerned, I've already applied some of the additional plys as per Waiter's suggestion and will be taking Waynes advice and not drilling into the longerons. My intentions with the canopy rear portion are to add some short blocks on the inside of the canopy rail that will fit inside the longerons when the canopy is shut, this will prevent any spreading but allow any small movement fore and aft due to expansion.

Thanks for all the useful suggestions.

MikeD (U.K.)

Tell me and I forget.

Show me and I remember.

Involve me and I understand.