E-LSA Vari-Eze anti-slippery conversion

Edge 513

Conversation started as..."We ARE all getting olddddd and will need an LSA in the future". Then it went to canards...and some dissagreementing.

I think a VariEze is too slippery to be "converted" into a E-LSA. What would need to be "done" to one to meet LSA requirements?

I got money that it cant be done. Regretfully.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Edge: good to see you back it has been awhile since your last post.

All of these canards are too fast for lsa You cant make them go slow enough to qualify. When I get that old and decrepit I guess I will build a kit fox and fly it out of my pasture. That would really fire up a couple of neighbors.:bad: STeve build on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

Not a Vari or Long, but it is a canard. We'll see if it can hit the stall speeds for LSA flight during the testing phase. With an anticipated price of $194,000, I think the Kit Fox might be a good option. Anybody know what Nat got after he sold his Cozy?

http://www.terrafugia.com/

Bruce

Best regards,

Bruce Sturgill

http://www.pursuitofflight.com

Thanks BigSteve.

Is it just me, or does this terrafug-uglia remind you of a "Herbie" sprouts wings bastardization...with Annette Funicello and DickVanDyke as the loving gad parents? Sorry for the flatulent response to this creation.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Is it just me, or does this terrafug-uglia remind you of a "Herbie" sprouts wings bastardization...with Annette Funicello and DickVanDyke as the loving gad parents? Sorry for the flatulent response to this creation.

:ROTFLMAO:

G'day

My EAA chapter has been discussing this issue, and one of the members who is an engineer and lawyer (patent I think) mentioned an interesting solution.

As the builder, you modified the fast design to meet the LSA requirements and mark the Airspeed and Opperator's manual to be consistent with the LSA requirements....

Now being a good builder you designed above the LSA standard, but as an operator you would never fly faster than the LSA speeds... The Arcs are correct and tell you as a pilot that LSA speeds to follow; and we all know we will do that.

The end of the conversation was his 2 place plane will be an LSA and meet the requirments. If it is capable of 200 MPH is not important.... Over engineered and built, but still an LSA. The paperwork and requirements are all correct.

It is the operator's responsiblity to fly withing the LSA standards....

So his aircraft is going to be an LSA.... ;) ;) ;)

Meet the requirments.... Just look fast.... So if you get the 100HP engine, 2 seats and can meet the LSA then ..... Looks like an LSA, Flies like an LSA...

Jeff

Hmmm?

Maybe down he road I can recertify my 540 Cozy without the rear seats [drill out the pop rivets] and call it an LSA. Kind of an overpowered LSA, but maybe nobody will notice.

What do I do about the landing speed, etc? I thought there were performance REQUIREMENTS other than cruise capability.

Self confessed Wingnut.

... one of the members who is an engineer and lawyer (patent I think) mentioned an interesting solution.

Idea, maybe, but certainly NOT a solution. A solution has to meet all the requirements, and this doesn't.

As the builder, you modified the fast design to meet the LSA requirements and mark the Airspeed and Opperator's manual to be consistent with the LSA requirements....

The markings on the ASI are immaterial - the rules state:

* Maximum gross takeoff weight: 1,320 lbs.

* Maximum stall speed: 51 mph (45 knots)

* Maximum speed in level flight with maximum continuous power (Vh): 138 mph (120 knots)

* Two-place maximum (pilot and one passenger); single, non-turbine engine, fixed or ground adjustable propeller, fixed landing gear.

It's fairly obvious that a VE or LE cannot be made to meet either the max speed in level flight, maximum stall speed, or fixed landing gear requirements. Now, locking the nose gear down might also let you meet the max speed restriction (depending upon the engine), but you will still never meet the max stall speed requirement, no matter what some colored lines on the ASI say.

Now being a good builder you designed above the LSA standard, but as an operator you would never fly faster than the LSA speeds... The Arcs are correct and tell you as a pilot that LSA speeds to follow; and we all know we will do that.

What you DO is not important - what's makes the plane LSA legal is what it CAN do, not what you DO with it.

The end of the conversation was his 2 place plane will be an LSA and meet the requirments. If it is capable of 200 MPH is not important.... Over engineered and built, but still an LSA. The paperwork and requirements are all correct.

Absolutely incorrect and illegal. If it's capable of 200 mph in level flight then it's not an LSA.

It is the operator's responsiblity to fly withing the LSA standards....

and also their responsibility not to lie about the capabilities of the aircraft.

So his aircraft is going to be an LSA.... ;) ;) ;)

No, it won't, and if I ever saw it, I'd turn him in in a second. It's folks like that that make life difficult for the honest folks amongst us.

Meet the requirments.... Just look fast.... So if you get the 100HP engine, 2 seats and can meet the LSA then ..... Looks like an LSA, Flies like an LSA...

You might want to actually read the rules, rather than relying on someone who doesn't understand them that you met at your EAA meeting.

Hopefully, he was just pulling your leg. If not, this is the type of guy who will get LSA and EAB aircraft outlawed, due to flouting the rules.

Idea, maybe, but certainly NOT a solution. A solution has to meet all the requirements, and this doesn't.

The markings on the ASI are immaterial - the rules state:

* Maximum gross takeoff weight: 1,320 lbs.

* Maximum stall speed: 51 mph (45 knots)

* Maximum speed in level flight with maximum continuous power (Vh): 138 mph (120 knots)

* Two-place maximum (pilot and one passenger); single, non-turbine engine, fixed or ground adjustable propeller, fixed landing gear.

It's fairly obvious that a VE or LE cannot be made to meet either the max speed in level flight, maximum stall speed, or fixed landing gear requirements. Now, locking the nose gear down might also let you meet the max speed restriction (depending upon the engine), but you will still never meet the max stall speed requirement, no matter what some colored lines on the ASI say.

What you DO is not important - what's makes the plane LSA legal is what it CAN do, not what you DO with it.

Absolutely incorrect and illegal. If it's capable of 200 mph in level flight then it's not an LSA.

and also their responsibility not to lie about the capabilities of the aircraft.

No, it won't, and if I ever saw it, I'd turn him in in a second. It's folks like that that make life difficult for the honest folks amongst us.

You might want to actually read the rules, rather than relying on someone who doesn't understand them that you met at your EAA meeting.

Hopefully, he was just pulling your leg. If not, this is the type of guy who will get LSA and EAB aircraft outlawed, due to flouting the rules.

G'day Mark

I thank you for your informed opinion. I am sure many agree. I also agree, but I still can pass my class 2 physicals and plan to for a few more years...

I agree that the aircraft must meet the requirments. If it does not then it does not and should not be LSA.

I simply was forwarding a conversation. The question was asked. I only provided on perspective. Oh, several of the EAA chapter members are FAA folks. They actually were interested in the conversation.... they did not totally agree, but they did find some aspects interesting. I am sure it will have follow-up.

I do not wish to dispute you. I only wish to provide an interesting perspective. Thank you for your perspective. I am sure it is very clear to everybody you position on the issue. Mine is more of interest. I do not plan to build an LSA for another 20 years. I own a C172 and live the LSA speed with a little more leg room.

Thank you again for your advise;

Jeff

There is a quote by the late Douglas Bader in one of the finest movies 'Reach for the Sky', "Rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidence of wise men"... He had two tin legs and flew spitfires and hurricanes (completely against Kings regulations for RAF airmen)... He was the finest RAF aviator. He was superhuman.

There are 2 LSA Vari Ezes flying in Australia today.. and it makes me a happy man.

Cheers,

Wayne Blackler

IO-360 Long EZ

VH-WEZ (N360WZ)

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

http://v2.ez.org/feature/F0411-1/F0411-1.htm

There are 2 LSA Vari Ezes flying in Australia today.. and it makes me a happy man.

Yep. The LSA market is neat hear in OZ. From what I understand of them, they broader than the US LSA regulation, even allowing retracts.

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...