What is the best type of RG

SAF_Zoom

SAF,

I can tell you right now you will get overwhelmed with too much information in the beginning. I read my plans for a year before starting. Well, while fixing up my house and garage too.

Here's what you should do to ease the stress:

Before each chapter read the archives, etc. on that chapter. Go to some of your builders websites. They are most all set up by chapter summaries. Understand what you're going to do in each chapter before you begin. Then build according to plans and your mod ideas.

To keep it simple for now get as much fiberglass and epoxy you can buy and store. MGS from Airheart in Toronto is probably your best bet. That stuff comes up with almost every chapter build. Buy all the foam you can for the next few chapters and get the hardware. The nuts, screws, and bolts comes cheap for price and shipping. The chapters are setup from simple to more complex as you go. As you go through the chapters you'll gain confidence and call yourself an expert in no time. By then all will come clear.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been an interesting thread to read. I guess there are as many preferences on retract systems as there are systems installed. My only experience with retracts on Long-EZ's is the Drybread system. A link to my videos on YouTube has already been posted. It is a reliable system, with over 1100 cycles so far on this aircraft. The emergency extension system works perfectly, I did it just the other day as part of the annual condition inspection process. The Drybread system when counted in with the Velocity system is probably the most numerous installs and certainly the highest number of cycles.

An off-the-shelf system? I don't think it exists. I have read about Infinity systems taking years to be delivered after ordering. The Drybread system (like mine) isn't available at the moment. The Velocity system is available off-the-shelf but it will not work in a Long-EZ without considerable modification and extra weight.

That said, I know of a couple of Long-EZ's that are just as fast as mine even though they have fixed gear. One should not contemplate installing retractable main gear solely on the basis of a presumed performance increase.

Rick Pellicciotti

Belle Aire Aviation, Inc.

http://www.belleaireaviation.com