What is the best type of RG

SAF_Zoom

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hding ones landing gear inside the aircraft post departure has its benefits, and with a composite canard aircraft this whole idea poses a multitude of problems. It would be easy to speculate that for every 1000 aircraft, perhaps

2 might have retractable mains? These are experimental aircraft, and designing a set of retracts which will handle shock loads of landing and still hide seemlessly away inside the aircraft presents a sizeable challenge. There are a couple options out there for "out of the box" gears sets, none of them are without their own shortcomings. Stationary gear legs with nice pants are the easiest and most cost effective method of solving the question of retracts or not., if you just have to have retracts, good luck!:cool:

I have to agree with Chrissi on the Newbie thing. Like jTest I have gotten frustrated and told them off. Now I just ignore them and dont reply to there post's. I am not sure if that is the right thing to do but it does keep my blood pressure down. The one that really got me was the guy who wanted to paint his Longeze black. Maybe he lived at the s. pole??? STeve build on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

The one that really got me was the guy who wanted to paint his Longeze black.

When I was part of a skydiving demo team I had 2 jumpsuits one black the other white. Because we wanted to be seen from the ground we wore the black for overcast days and white for visability against blue skies. I think there is a lot of good reasons to stick with white other than the fact that it just makes sense for our plane .......... but I digress :D

I agree with your position Steve. Eventually the posts go unanswered. I can appreciate a sincere inquiry but I'm tending to avoid the blue sky queries. Most of these questions can be best answered by purchasing a set of plans or if possible get access to a set (such as the aerocad.)

My hat is off to Burt & Co. I can't imagine how they dsigned and built so many great planes given the tools they had to work with.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

I was a newbie once and I had read a boatload of information and knew everything about canards from reading. Now that I've bought my third project airplane and still have to finish the second one. (even if I've flown it already) I've figured out that I know very little about anything.

Throw in the qoute from Mark Twain. "When I left home at 18 I was convinced my father was an idiot. Then when I came home at 21 I was amazed at how much he had learned in three years!" Yeah yeah I'm paraphrasing, so don't correct me, I took that off the top of my head. :irked:

Newbies rock, we were all one once. Some newer than others! Give the boy a chance to prove himself. We talk less as we actually accomplish something.

The one that really got me was the guy who wanted to paint his Longeze black. Maybe he lived at the s. pole??? STeve build on

Luv ya Steve.:) But ya gotta admit that these canards shaped like they are [and being the coolest things on the ramp] would look pretty dang cool all stealthed out like a wobblygoblin or sr71....Black would look awesome.

I wonder if one of prepregged carbon heat-cured creations that DaveR is building now could be 'blacked out'. Who knows what secret stuff is happening in his tent now?.....

BTW-Right ONN Scmeddz about your building/project prolifickness!!!! Theres a few here that a multi-birded in their past experience.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

G'day

I am at a loss understanding SAF_Zoom. SAF_Zoom is fairly new (10 days) and has by his own admission had at least one crazy (or more) idea in this forum.

Mark Twain said it best; "Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often."

I would hope SAF_Zoom would kindly be less frequent with his postings (over 2.5 per day) and his voice would be louder, but that clearly is not the case.

Against better advise (from several builders with experience and pictures to prove it) he continues to start threads that are advanced and require major modifications and money. Small modifications impact every aspect of the build; that is why I abanoned making the fuselage several inches wider (a fairly simple mod, but it impacts almost every future step of the build). I have learned that if I build a second aircraft from the plans all the changes required.

Mark Twain (again) "There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."

I am building and have completed Chapters 4,5,6,7,8,9 & 14. I am currently working on Chapter 10 & 11. I have purchased an O-320 D3G and have it sitting in the hanger. I have submitted several drawings for full sized parts the Terf-CD does not provide when printed on standard sized paper. Pointed out the lack of a correct size cut-out in Chapter 7 for the Canard cutout due to resizing during printing.

My advise to SAF_Zoom is based on my one year of experience building from the Terf-CD and Open EZ templates you seem reluctant to purcahse even though you admit they are "insignificant". In my humble opinion, it will be much cheaper for you to purchase a half completed project. There is one on ebay listed now, but so is the Terf-CD (for under $200 (US)).

The modifications will require a set of plans for a baseline to make changes. Against better advise SAF_Zoom continues posting "Crazy" ideas and has only purchased a membership in CSA (A good thing in my opinion). But I continue to be amazed by the number of postings show up in threads for a newbie that clearly hasn't done (and most likely will never do) anything.

I welcome productive questions from everybody, but recommend SAF_Zoom continue to find the 20+ builders that he has proposed build his airplane. I for one would gladly vote his postings off the island and put his TIKI tourch out with no immunity.

For the members that are building the risk of SAF_Zoom being taken as a legitimate source of anything risks a legitimate builders projects and lives.

Mark Twain (yet again) "Better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

SAF_Zoom continues to remove any doubt.

Respectfully submitted;

Jeff

:ROTFLMAO: I ear you Jtest... Guess only time will tell

Well as I indicated to Jtest in another thread... this newb is an aircraft technician... not a plumber not an accountant not... wait thats not true LOL after going back to university I am now a forensic accountant... :rolleyes:

But I have spent a fair deal of time around, under, over, inside... airplanes... lol

But you guys got to realised that no newbs... asking newbies question = no more canards being built... This means this kind eventually fades to memory and when you want to sell yours in 20-40 years... well ....

As for the dreaming part... I'm not dreaming at all... actually all is purchased (Terf CD, CSA assoc, EAA assoc, Open EZ plans printed... etc). I'm still keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a flying example though...

I find it strange that experience builders question why newbies would ask about what can and cannot be done with such and such design... humm maybe we/they want to learn from previously made mistakes.... and not make them themselves... is that so hard to understand...

And guess what... the best time to asked question is before you actually start. Then you can move forward... without to many :yikes: OMFGWDID lol

i for one find it unspeakable that you have the audacity to question anything in the relm......cuz;) i jumped in with both feet and didn't read a thing. just started building. no ride, no goal, no plane. and guess what ? i modded everything from stem to stern. will it fly?? some say no, i say...let a test pilot find out:p you seam to have asked every question that i have in just over 2 or 3 weeks....it took me over 4 years, but the sad part is had i asked, i could of saved hundred of hours of omgwtfdid. so stop it and put in your omgwtfdid like the rest of us did !

ps tmann was put on his head as a child

Steve M. Parkins

i for one find it unspeakable that you have the audacity to question anything in the relm......cuz;) i jumped in with both feet and didn't read a thing. just started building. no ride, no goal, no plane. and guess what ? i modded everything from stem to stern. will it fly?? some say no, i say...let a test pilot find out:p you seam to have asked every question that i have in just over 2 or 3 weeks....it took me over 4 years, but the sad part is had i asked, i could of saved hundred of hours of omgwtfdid. so stop it and put in your omgwtfdid like the rest of us did !

ps tmann was put on his head as a child

:ROTFLMAO:

But I understand, why some must be tired of answering the same old questions. But if I may suggest something. I know that most of my questions could have been answered if someone (recognised as very knowlegeble) had taken the time to put up a thread (that should be stickied and maybe even locked so that it does not get "currupted") were these issues would be discussed:

Fuselage modifications : Common mods (i.e.: longer nose). And what one can expect it he goes wider/longer fuselage (pros and cons/risks);

Wings/Canard/strakes (i.e. moving bulkheads for more fuel, going wet leading edges, etc.)

Engines (certified Lycomings, uncertified Lycs or others)

Landing gears mod (fixed vs retract)

I think that a sticky FAQ thread (could entitled "Initiation to the Long EZ design") that discuss (in an impartial way) these questions with pros and cons would cut down significantly on the newby factor... Newbies are not all engineers or aircraft tech...

After a few weeks of reading through countless threads and asking questions I know that most of that stuff is out there, could be worth to have it organised....

Just my 2 cents,

:ROTFLMAO:

After a few weeks of reading through countless threads and asking questions I know that most of that stuff is out there, could be worth to have it organised....

The search tool on this site works really well. Keep in mind that there have been quite a few newbies out there who have actually said that they don't want to take the time to search through the posts (because they would rather someone else take the time to answer).

The first place I go is the CPs and Cozy newletters and Central States newsletters (but I don't have all the CSA newletters---I have everything else). I actually take the time to catalog all the articles within an excel spreadsheet----which I use a lot. Then I check the websites and use the search tool. Then I go ask questions.

The search tool on this site works really well. Keep in mind that there have been quite a few newbies out there who have actually said that they don't want to take the time to search through the posts (because they would rather someone else take the time to answer).

The first place I go is the CPs and Cozy newletters and Central States newsletters (but I don't have all the CSA newletters---I have everything else). I actually take the time to catalog all the articles within an excel spreadsheet----which I use a lot. Then I check the websites and use the search tool. Then I go ask questions.

OK so your idea is having a guy that is not trully convinced on a design to go out and buy $600 of material (Terf CD and back issues of CSA newsletters) and take 3 to 4 weeks going through that stuff... Wow... thats efficient Also when one starts out... and he is not very familiar with airplanes (or more so with canard type airplane) how is he even suppose to know what to look for?

BTW I was thinking of building an index for all of my CSA newsletters... I can see you have it done... could be a good idea to post it somewhere. This would incourage many more to go out and buy them when they have an idea of the countant. The way I see it, every time one's starts a project he as to reinvent the wheel... no wonder they still take 3000+ hours to complete more then 30 years after the first one flew...

Yea, you got it. Several hundred dollars...Thats the price of admission. Efficient? Naw.

... it weeds out the guys who just fart around, and then 80% of the guys that start don't finish anyway.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

OK so your idea is having a guy that is not trully convinced on a design to go out and buy $600 of material (Terf CD and back issues of CSA newsletters) and take 3 to 4 weeks going through that stuff... Wow... thats efficient

Better yet, how about I go out and spend the time and money and do all the research for you.

I can tell you right now, if you are not ready to put some time and money into this ....... it's not the hobby for you.

Not only have I purchase and researched the plans but I also purchased a set of Berkut drawings to further my knowledge base. It's 60% learning and 40% building. I read my plans and CPs for years before actually starting my project.

Don't expect too many shortcuts.

Also when one starts out... and he is not very familiar with airplanes (or more so with canard type airplane) how is he even suppose to know what to look for?

Go to Oshkosh. Join your local chapter of the EAA.

Get to someplace where you can actually touch the plane (or even get a ride.)

BTW I was thinking of building an index for all of my CSA newsletters... I can see you have it done... could be a good idea to post it somewhere. .

It already exists on Marc's website. Do some research there as well as www.ez.org

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Zoom,

To give you a concept of what that 'small" time investment of knowledge would mean to you up front, if a newbee spends a day with us and gets the full story, demos, tour, tool demos, techniques, pictur book tour (Randi can talk a bit) I can guarantee it will knock 500 hrs off your build. Nowadays we do not have the luxury to do these visits any more.

Study the knowledge base, study to builders web sites, join the EAA chapters, visit builders. We wish we had.

Tools, Tips, Techniques, its not just the learning curve.

There are still people out there who use scissors, pizza cutters, brushes, and saws. Sure you could build with a lot less and there are going to be memebers of the Olde Guarde who have built and flown aircraft who will speak up and say why not?, it was good enough for them. I'm sure it was and some of them built fine aircraft but the point is that much has evolved and if you dig you can reap the benefit.

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Zoom,

To give you a concept of what that 'small" time investment of knowledge would mean to you up front, if a newbee spends a day with us and gets the full story, demos, tour, tool demos, techniques, pictur book tour (Randi can talk a bit) I can guarantee it will knock 500 hrs off your build. Nowadays we do not have the luxury to do these visits any more.

Study the knowledge base, study to builders web sites, join the EAA chapters, visit builders. We wish we had.

Tools, Tips, Techniques, its not just the learning curve.

There are still people out there who use scissors, pizza cutters, brushes, and saws. Sure you could build with a lot less and there are going to be memebers of the Olde Guarde who have built and flown aircraft who will speak up and say why not?, it was good enough for them. I'm sure it was and some of them built fine aircraft but the point is that much has evolved and if you dig you can reap the benefit.

I know that visiting builders/owners would be the best... but... up here in Montreal Canada, their are very few canard type aircraft. If you guys know of any, please let me know. I'm already a EAA member, so I will have to see what the local chapter offers.

Also, Cozy Girrl, if you have a quick list of required tools that you can send my way, you would be most welcome if you would do so.

I'm ready to kick this thing in high gear, but with all the bits and peaces of info out there its hard to be sure nothing as been overlooked...

BTW... the work table is ready

Thanks,

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

There are almost no tools NEEDED for the 1st 3 months work. A builders knife, a scale to weigh the epoxy and hardener and 20-40 2" wide throw away brushes. You will be able to see if composite building is agreeable to you very easily. No need to throw it into high gear..1st gear is cheap and plenty fast for quite awhile. Good luck.:)

Oh yea, add a box of nitrile gloves and a face mask respirator...stir,dont shake[opposite of Bond], and stipple with the best of us.=)

Self confessed Wingnut.

Thanks TMan, I actually forgot about the CG tool kit. We don't get a penny of comission on that; Wicks asked us for a list of the tools we can't live without. You can build with a hammer and a hacksaw, yes, but I bet we can pick that one out of a lineup too =)

Don't forget the nitrile gloves and masks.

...Chrissi & Randi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo