INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 1

# Crew: 1 Fat: 1 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: KJWY 241405Z AUTO 14008KT 10SM BKN012 25/21 A3003 RMK A02

OTHER DATA

Activity: Pleasure Phase: Maneuver Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: DALLAS, TX (SW05) Entry date: 07/25/2008

Registered to James Marshall, unknown powerplant.

My hopes and best wishes to the involved families.

Ben Hallert - http://hallert.net/cozy/ - Chapter 1 - EAA Chapter#31

It's a Mark IV...

FAA Registry

N-Number Inquiry Results

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N500K is Assigned

Aircraft Description

Serial Number 0163 Type Registration Individual

Manufacturer Name MARSHALL JAMES J Certificate Issue Date 08/22/2003

Model COZY MK IV Status Valid

Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Single-Engine Type Engine Reciprocating

Pending Number Change None Dealer No

Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code 51435321

MFR Year 2004 Fractional Owner NO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Registered Owner

Name MARSHALL JAMES J

Street 5228 HEATHERDALE DR

City GRAPEVINE State TEXAS Zip Code 76051-7340

County TARRANT

Country UNITED STATES

May the pilot RIP. I hope the NTSB can find reason... :(

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

I received the following e-mail:

I am not a member of your forum but I can answer help answer some question about the crash of N500K. He was my next door neighbor at the airport. A great guy. He had been experiencing fuel trouble. The plane had a Franklin engine and retracts.

He was an American pilot (777) and former military test pilot.

Sad day for us in Arlington Texas.

Ron G

A very sad day indeed.

Really sad to hear about this.

Met Jim last year. Purchased his unused Uli FHC plans.

Spent about an hour with him in the hot sun talking about airplane building.

Cozy MkIV, Aerocanard canopy, Blue Mountain, JD retractc, Franklin, Constant speed prop.

He was a American Airlines 777 captain or pilot.

His wife was very nice and considerate while Jim and I talked airplane stuff.

Sorry to hear about this.

Hey guys, just my opinion, but from one who has to deal with aviation fatalities within the job, querying about a mishap is one thing, but posting names and addresses and personal info is just wrong and slightly inconsiderate. I know the info is available online if you know where to query it but that does not make it right. It feeds the scoundrels who scroll the net to take advantage of others misfortune. Please have some consideration for the family members and let them be informed by the proper authorities or loved ones instead of the internet. I don't want to seem like a buzz kill but come on. My 2 cents. Peace:confused:

• Like 1

With respect, Sully, the name of the pilot was in the newspaper and the registration is a matter of public record. The situation you describe where someone somehow stumbles across this post and begins harassing the family simply isn't realistic. I believe the 'scoundrel' you describe is a figment of imagination and a symptom of our society's increasingly overanxious 'what if' mentality that sees threats in everything. An 83 year old woman was told not to take photos of an empty swimming pool in the UK last week because of 'concerns of pedophilia', for example. The theoretical threat idea can really go too far. If you're very set on this, then your efforts might be better focused on the newspapers and FAA registration database, but I think that would be misguided.

Has anyone heard anything more about the wreck? It doesn't seem to be in the NTSB search results for Texas or the tail number yet.

Chairboy, say what you want...we don't see eye to eye on this one and I do not want it to be personal...I just can't see the relevance of posting the guys address on a forum, even if it is a matter of public record. I am sure the NTSB is on top of it, there will not be a preliminary for at least a week and nothing factual for some time. Your UK pool story is out in left field and yes there are professional trolls who scour the internet for information to use for ill purpose all the time. Either way the cause of this mishap on a heavily modified airframe should not halt your build. Good luck. No hard feelings.

Likewise, apologies if I flew off the handle a bit, I've been growing more frustrated with our culture of fear and I may have discharged some of that emotion into my response.

My concern is for the families affected by the crash, and then for any lessons that it might provide for me and other builders to incorporate into our projects.

No hard feelings, and best regards.

• 2 weeks later...

Reading the prelim on this raises the hair on the back of my neck.

According to an eyewitness located at the bottom of the 100 foot deep rock quarry, he could hear the engine of the airplane when it flew at high speed through the quarry at approximately 20 to 30 feet above the floor before it collided with the wall of the quarry and exploded.

A second witness reported that the airplane flew directly at his large bulldozer on the far side of the one mile wide quarry. The witness estimated the airplane was at 30 feet above the floor of the quarry when he waved at the airplane as it flew past him. The pilot then banked to the right away from his bulldozer and nosed up to miss a large dirt pile, but then collided with the quarry wall about 20 feet from the floor of the quarry.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20080804X01148&key=1

---

Brett Ferrell

Velocity XL/FG

Cincinnati, OH

http://www.velocityxl.com

• 2 weeks later...

http://desastresaereosnews.blogspot.com/2008/07/em-dois-dias-dois-acidentes-na-mesma.html

This website has additional pictures of the crash site.

The reason I am posting this website info is because it has additional pictures not previously seen. Especially the quarry and it's relation to the crash site.

If this posting is inappropriate or offends anyone, let me know and I will remove it.

Later.