why I was asking questions from you

Kevin6q

Hello All,

I asked a lot of questions on this forum about gluing foam and a few other bits. Here is why http://www.blueheronkayaks.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=693 . I built a few kayaks using moldless composite techniques. A basic outline of what/how I did it is in the link if you're at all interested. Building the kayaks has made me pretty confident cutting foam and glassing. Maybe time to try something that can fly. Thanks for the help, Kevin

.....if this rain doesn't quit, I may need one.

We've had so many tornados (that go on for hours) that people are starting to ignore them.

.....how about a kevlar version?

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

The fabric can be anything the builder wishes. This project was to make up an inexpensive boat. Kevlar is such a PIA to work with in addition to the higher cost. When saturated and cured I've found Kevlar to be more scuff resistant but the puncture resistance is only marginally better than glass. For the added expense I'll build another glass boat. As for looks, Kevlar does look pretty cool and for that matter a CF boat would be great looking. Not sure how it would hold up in the sun. This is the first human sized moldless thing I've built and have experience working with glass/cf/kevlar/basalt and a few other odd fabrics.

The fabric can be anything the builder wishes....When saturated and cured I've found Kevlar to be more scuff resistant but the puncture resistance is.... This is the first human sized moldless thing I've built with glass/cf/kevlar/basalt and a few other odd fabrics.

Could ya make me a Kevlar Kodpiece? Kindof an 'old meets new' twist on the renaissance costume...

Also would be a lighter solution thn putting a whole extra ply onthe bottom of the fuse tub as some have thought of doing...

oh brother...my 'jock-u-larity' will be undoubtably spurned:rolleyes: :)

C'mon folks its Friday 13th......Ium just trying to contribute here.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

All this talk about Exotic Fiber reminds me of a guy I saw out at the airport.

He and his son were working on a layup involving some exotic fiber that I wasn't familiar with.

I asked him if he was working with 'Boron'?

He glanced over at his son and then back at me and said "He ain't none too bright but he's the only boy I've got."

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Basalt is volcanic rock. The Soviets figured a way to make thread and weave the stuff into cloth. I was told basalt cloth was/is the Soviet answer to carbon fiber. Google searches will turn up a guitar maker who uses it. When dry the color is a fantastic bronze and it turns super dark brown, almost black, when wet out. Unlike carbon you can't really see the weave after cure. It holds more resin than CF and is easier to wet out.

kevin, may you explain to me what basalt is?:confused:

I was interested in the question so I went out and looked for myself. What I found was interesting...:cool:

First the wiki:

http://www.basaltex.com/en/applications.aspx

Basalt fiber or fibre is a material made from extremely fine fibers of basalt, which is composed of the minerals plagioclase, pyroxene, and olivine. It is similar to carbon fibre and fiberglass, having better physicomechanical properties than fiberglass, but being significantly cheaper than carbon fibre. It is used as a fireproof textile in the aerospace and automotive industries and can also be used as a composite to produce products such as tripods.

Then product specs for a cloth that will not melt or burn:

http://www.basaltex.com/en/applications.aspx

The good mechanical properties of BCF (strength & rigidity), the easy wetting of the filament surface and their recyclability make them particularly suitable for said composites application.

The UV resistance, the better acid resistance, the somewhat better alkaline resistance and very low water absorption of BCF fibers ensure excellent weather ability to outdoors BCF fiber reinforced Composites.

BCF fiber reinforced injection molded parts seem, for a same fiber volume fraction, to have a better surface finish. This could allow direct metallization as for automotive interior decoration components.

Kevin6q, if still reading - it would be interesting to hear how you see this cloth being used in other applications. And where we would find some in small quantities for testing. With the right epoxy system this may be an effective firewall material.

Phil

Long-ez project

Milwaukee

I've worked with basalt fiber, the looks are not so great but it's quite a bit stronger than glass and only about 15% heavier. It's widely available here in Europe and pretty cheap, too.

http://www.basfiber.com/

Visible Kevlar is actually not a good idea, it degrades seriously in sunlight! If you place a piece of plain kevlar in the sun you can see it darkens in only a few hours. Loss of strenght is considerable.

this is a fiber I've never heart about before, if their price is comparable to glass they could be used as a reinforcement, but unfortunately they are heavier....

have someone been able to find its mechanical datas?I would like to compare it to other fibers like dyneema zylon technora and so on.

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads. (Dr. Emmett Brown)

small quantities of basalt can be found here:

http://www.sollercomposites.com/

I was making mutes from the stuff and it gave a very dead sound so I think its dampening properties are pretty good. I was also putting some into rollerski frames and so far so good. It sands well and as pointed out in other posts, not as sexy as CF. I've layed up into molds and it seems just fine and works like glass. I don't think it has the same hardness as CF or glass. I've never tried to light it on fire but can try it and report back.