Ch 4 Complete!

Well.....have to cut the temp firewall still, but all bulkheads were completed at the end of Feb. I have taken a month off to do some mechanic side work. My good friend Gene (and fellow builder of a quickie q1 and cozy MKIV) had a transmission go out on his honda accord, so we changed it out and did several other things including timing belt, axles, etc. I also sold my Geo metro, and purchased a Mitsubishi eclipse that needed an engine rebuild. So I got all that knocked out, and ended up taking on 2 other engine projects. One is still in process. All of this side work (other than Gene's which I did for free, but he gave me 2 gal of MGS 285) is "COZY MONEY". I have dedicated myself to this Cozy as a "Noha's Ark" kind of project. Its as if I must build it no matter what........and I WILL! I ran out of BID somehow durring the CH4 process. I think its because I made some wrong direction cuts when I first started out. I learned to be conservative when cutting cloth to maximize the efficeincy. It also could be that I was shorted on my BID from ACS.....I don't know. Anyways I have no BID left but I have the entire roll of uni for my chapter 5 kit. next week I will go to ACS and get more resin and hardener, and also pickup my ch 6,7, and 8 kits if the are available. I am going through withdrawls from not building so bad that I am starting to twitch! :) This stuff is like a drug, its SO addicting. I cant wait to get started on CH 5. I have been keeping up with everyones progress and it (as always) is a HUGE inspiration. My hope is to have ch 7 completed by end of summer, and the plane on its main gear for Christmass this year. If I live in the dark......eat nothing but rice.........get no sleep whatsoever.......YEP, I'm sure I can do it!!!:) Everyone keep up the great work. I will be posting regularly again soon. Here are my CH 4 pics from Feb.

post-5372-141090160141_thumb.jpg

post-5372-141090160388_thumb.jpg

post-5372-141090160391_thumb.jpg

Rob Wiehl

COZY MKIV #1521

Looking good "B." I'm glad you're enjoying the build. Regarding the firewall, save yourself some time and frustration by using click bonds instead of plan's bolts for the future cable pulleys. I wish I had done it initially. Credit goes out to the Cozy Girrrls... :cool:

Remi Khu

Cozy Mk IV

Plan #1336

Click Bonds. I bought some and after looking at them wonder how they are an improvement over a bolt head with some notches on it? It looks like a good twist and if the bond breaks it will spin like anything else. Have considered bending down a couple edges on the head to create a bite into the composite structure.......? I'd think the same setup with some little feet or a couple simple struts sticking out at 90 degrees would work well? :confused:

Click Bonds. I bought some and after looking at them wonder how they are an improvement over a bolt head with some notches on it?

1.) One way they are an improvement... You don't need to add them to the firewall till you need them. They won't be in your way until you are ready to add the brackets.

2.) Lets say you do spin them... well you can access them completely, so just remount them (not an easy option with plans bolts, from what I've read).

Don't forget, the clickbonds don't go through the firewall like the plans bolts do, you "bond" them to the side you need them on.

Andy

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

Click Bonds. I bought some and after looking at them wonder how they are an improvement over a bolt head with some notches on it? It looks like a good twist and if the bond breaks it will spin like anything else. Have considered bending down a couple edges on the head to create a bite into the composite structure.......? I'd think the same setup with some little feet or a couple simple struts sticking out at 90 degrees would work well? :confused:

Rvig,

If you are really paranoid about them spinning, there are at least two options.

1. grind one or more flats on the circumference of the clickbond before you put your glass overlays. (use a little flox)

2. drill a 3/32" or a 1/8" hole through the clickbond into the firwall, or what ever structure you are clickbonding onto. countersink it and place an appropriate rivet into the hole. No need to create a shop head, it is only for anti-torque. Then place your glass over that.

In my plane, I drilled the appropriate holes and then enlarged them to accept a stainless steel thread insert (available at hardware stores) which is hammered into the wood, (has 3 tangs for antitorque) of the firewall, from the cockpit side. The pulleys are bolted through, from the engine side and either safetied (drilled heads) or locktitetd in place.

There are many ways to screw------ skin a cat.:cool2:

Rich

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

I am just about finished with ch 4, too. Any reason we don't use platenuts (bonded in place platenuts) and use bolts-into-nuts to install the pully brackets instead of nuts-on-studs approach? See EZ-Points here. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pdf/2008Individual/Cat08109.pdf

We could use drilled head bolts and safety wire in addition to lock washers. Thoughts?

I still am undecided on what hardware I will use. I have seen many different styles and they all seem to work for the builders. I am leaning toward Click Bonds though. The Cozy Girrls highly recomend them and I trust their great reputation and high respect from fellow builders regarding their ideas and great quality products.

Rob Wiehl

COZY MKIV #1521