Jump to content

N34YN - Don and Brendan's Cozy MKIV

Recommended Posts

So after a handful of years for me, and too many year to count for Don, we're finally rounding the corner to first flight. Right now we're working on the final bits and pieces to get the bird fully assembled. The engine start and the DAR inspection are right around the corner.


Here's a link to some more recent pics:




I'll be updating the album as we get her buttoned up, start the engine, etc. Very exciting!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congratulations and best wishes!:carrot: :carrot:

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)


Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow! Very Nice! What kind of external door latch is that? Its very clean, and airtight too!

We installed the 'Hendricks' latch a while back (Aircraft Spruce $285; http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/doorlatch.php) and have been quite satisfied with it after a few slight modifications. It really is a very clean, fully airtight and effective latch /lock that we expect to get some good life out of. It's one of a few options that allows you to seal the canopy down from the outside while incorporating a key lock.


Essentially you can easily hook it right into the plans dog-down mechanism and glass it into the side of the plane. We trimmed the size of the interior handle to not scrape against the inside of the tub and built a threaded adjustment rod to get the throw right, but that was about it for installation really.


Also, because aluminum-on-aluminum is quite sticky, we ended up taking the exterior handle hinge and barrel apart and greasing it up. In addition, the parts are machined so tightly that you need to take some 400 grit wet sand paper and burnish all of the mating edges - add a radius to a few of them. The latch works very smoothly now.


In the end I built and installed an adjustable stop for the interior side of the handle. Previously it could travel all the way past what I refer to as top-dead-center (TDC) of the dog latch. Building in a stop made the latch travel stop just past the tightest point so that it snaps down into place. Essentially it serves as a primary canopy 'lock down' mechanism. The catch tab will be in place as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very nice!!!! I like the paint!

Thanks! Check out my post under 'paint and finish' for the details of the painting experience. We used the much maligned Polyfiber Ranthane paint over the UV Smooth Prime, EP420 epoxy primer and PPG K36 primer with a K201 catalyzer. The EP420 doesnt cover very well, so that's why we employed the readily available (local NAPA Auto Part store) PPG K36 / K201.


I should say that before we shot the paint on, we contacted Polyfiber and asked some questions about the gallons of paint, catalyzer, etc that we had sitting on the shelf for a couple of years. They wasted no time in saying "throw that stuff out" and then sent us an entire, fresh paint system package at no charge. Probably due to all the grief they got from the Cozy folks in years past.


In the end, I as a complete painting novice, was able to put together a paint job that's drawn a lot of compliments from both paint novices AND some pros. I did get a couple of runs, but they sanded out nicely and all is well now.


Good luck with your project.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ENGINE START!!!!! Woohoo, N34YN came to life!!!


After a morning of inspecting, checking, verifying and making things up, we finally turned the key on our Cozy yesterday afternoon. The O-360 turned over nicely a handful of times, then she choked and sputtered once, then finally drained the battery :(. A quick run to the auto parts store produced a pair of jumper cables. We turned her over again and she sprung to life and made lots of noise. As my partner Don said "we turned avgas into noise, yipee".


In all we started her up 3 times. We had a few issues and have a small list of things to fix and look into. Mostly associated with the Rocky Mountain engine monitor and all the sensors that are hooked up to it (or not hooked up in some cases!). We have to make some adjustments to the throttle, mixture and carb heat linkages too. All are off by some amount - idle too high, full lean wont cut the engine, full carb heat off doesnt close the flapper.


All in all it was a good day though. I look forward to getting back over there to tidy up the loose ends and get her taxiing around the tarmac!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It sure is exciting for those of us still in the early stages of building to hear about success like yours! Gives us all a lift! Keep us posted - I can only imagine how pumped you and your partner must be! :cool:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information