What else would you include?

Aiman

I have been thinking (which isn't necessarily a good thing) but I have started to collect some files that are available on the web that I consider 'must haves' as additional info on the project. I was wondering what you all thought of including them as part of the openEZ drawings zip file. Also, if you have anything you think should be included, feel free to chime in.

Of course, if we include any files, we should give credit where it is due. Or, if people are not comfortable actually including these files in the drawings zip file, we could include a 'links to important files' text document or something.

In no specific order, here is my list...

Oshkosh 2007 presentation by Terry Schubert and Gary Hertzler on engine cooling & drag redux. (available on EZSquadron)

Canard Pusher 1-82 sections (also at EZSquadron, and TERF cd)

Aircraft Spruce PDF catalog

"Most important canard links" document file.

Any other ideas?

In my book you need:

• Moldless Composite Homebuilt Sandwich Aircraft Construction (3rd Ed) (TERF CD)
  • Long-EZ plans (TERF CD)
  • Enhanced Performance Rudder (TERF CD)
  • Roncz canard construction (TERF CD - minus templates)
  • Internal rudder bellhorn (TERF CD)
  • Varieze Landing/Speed brake plans (TERF CD)
  • Owners manual (2nd Ed) (TERF CD)
  • O-235 Engine Installation (TERF CD - Good reference even if not installing 235)
  • Open-Ez drawings templates (A1-A14) (Open-Ez Rev. 5)
  • Canard Pusher Newsletter #24 through #83 (TERF CD)
  • Central States Association Newsletters 1990 to present (Terry Schubert)

So first of, go buy the TERF CDs. Do not copy part of this to anyone - give Matt the business - he bought the 'right' to material from Burt. And it is very good value for money! (There is even rumours that Burt is getting royalty - guess its only rumours...)

So in fact all you are missing is the full scale templates for the Roncz canard - I'm currently check-ing if it is a viable solution to scale up the template page of the TERF CD and if it's accurate.

In UK the PFA has collected a data sheet (TADS 074A) of what they deem to be checked for a long – you may find that usefull, as it sort of collects many of the known shortcomings (referred or remedied in the CP newsletters). It can be found here: TADS 074A

Most other documents can be considered 'background material' - useful but not required. Get the above and start building - the rest will follow.

Hope this is useful to you :)

Best wishes

Henrik

Here's some of the files I have:

Scans of the of the old Brock catalog for reference.

Canopy Raising and Widening Process.ppt I think my Wayne Hick

Cozy FAQ

Aerocanard plans

Reformated M plans PDF

misc cad files

Cozy newsletters

all the terf cds

Of all the files on my PC, I refer to the aerocanard plans more than any other. I keep my Cozy working copy out in the shop. But when I'm on the road or in the house, I use these for convinense.

I use them enough that I considered scanning in the Cozy plans on the fancy new color photocopier at work. It wouldn't be text search able, but it would have all the photos.

Also one more file I've been working on. I've taken the Cozy flight manual that Yair scanned and used OCR on.

Unfortunately due to scanning, the formatting was pretty bad. Also he highly modified it to his plane. Over several months while traveling (not able to work on cozy) I've been formatting it to look better and also bring the manual back to the original status. At that point anyone would be able to edited to fit their plane. Before I release it, I'd want to talk to Spruce to see about getting their permission. I can't believe they would care. They sell the manual for something like $5 so it not a big ticket item.

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

Hopefully I wasn't misunderstood. I in no way want the plans or other documents from the terf cd included, all the things I listed were freely available on the web for download.

I already got my TERF CDs, but I wanted to see what other 'open source' stuff people wanted to include on the zip download.

I'm a night owl kinda guy. In my line of work, I'm occasionally on a night shift or night on-call rotation. I'll say that I do my best work in the dark. :D Go figure.. I work with computers... Sr. Sysadmin (Windows/Linux). ;)

But yes, thats basically exactly what I'm going for: Have the plans and most important (common?) publically available documents and links to most important sites 'all inclusive' in the one file that the 'Open-EZ project' provides, then pointers/links to stuff that costs $.

You are an american expat in the land down under? I -REALLY- would like to talk to you about that sometime, if you wouldn't mind.

I just ran across another few documents that I think would be very important for inclusion:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/Getting_Started.pdf

The aeroelectric connection's "Getting Started" guide.

Also we might want to include a link to something like:

http://www.bd5.com/bd01002.htm - Chuck berthe's "Flight testing of homebuilt aircraft"

Or a link to Vaughan Askue's book: http://www.actechbooks.com/flight_testing_homebuilt_aircraft.htm

Thoughts, ideas, etc? I'm sure that we could split the files into OpenEZ specific files (drawings, etc) and other "supplemental" files that would be of benefit to anyone building or flying a canard.

Importantly: In order to protect intellectual property rights, we should include LINKS to commercial resources in a links file, while actually providing the relevant 'public domain' resources/documents/etc in their entirety.

Don't stop at Knucholls getting started. Get his whole aerolectric connection loose leaf book. This gives a great education for aircraft electrical from someone who has spent a great part of his career doing this stuff for the big guys. It's not just a how to but a why in language that even we as builders can understand.

Also the FAA has a bulletin, actually a small book, dealing with homebuilts from bolts to nuts including registration and test flying. The great thing is that it is free for the asking.

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

Don't stop at Knucholls getting started. Get his whole aerolectric connection loose leaf book. This gives a great education for aircraft electrical from someone who has spent a great part of his career doing this stuff for the big guys. It's not just a how to but a why in language that even we as builders can understand.

Also the FAA has a bulletin, actually a small book, dealing with homebuilts from bolts to nuts including registration and test flying. The great thing is that it is free for the asking.

Not sure where the aeroelectric connection loose leaf "book" is located, but I downloaded the cd rom from his site. thats 300+mb, and while in the public domain (by his encouragement) including it in the OpenEZ plans might make them a little too large to download. Did I miss something on his site?

EDIT: oops, found it. Yes, we could include a link to the 'buy it now' page or something like that. The intro is freely available though

Not sure what the FAA's stance on redistributing materials is. Same with the EAA. They both have excellent, relevant technical resources available to builders.