CNC cut foam cores

EZ AHAB

• 2 weeks later...

Progress Update:

The wings are growing! I just cut the largest single piece required, the mid section wing core. They turned out just fine. I even cut the electrical conduits and aileron cutouts. All I have left to do now are the wing root sections and I'll have cut files built for everything. Oh yeah, I still have to do the LEZ Roncz canard. There are some slight differences between it and the CZY canard. That project has been on the back burner while I've been working on the wings.

post-1835-141090155382_thumb.jpg

EUREKA CNC

Eureka%20small.gif

Extreme Precision CNC Hotwire Cutting

Perfection To The Core!

It's definitely my setup -- occassionally my firewall (I suspect) eats portions of some JPEG pictures.

I jumped on another computer and saw that they look great. The near side is a bit out of focus, but I'm really looking forward to the results. Cutting the electrical conduit is great. I think the plans call for using a boring tool of some sort.

Still looking good!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

The near side is a bit out of focus, but I'm really looking forward to the results.

Yes, a product of low light and large apertures. It's hard to get the whole thing in the photo without sacrificing something. Here's one that is a bit bigger and better. Maybe I'll try to take some outside when I have some time when it's not windy or raining. One of these days I'm going to find the time to build a website and post photos and movies of the machine doing it's thing.

Cutting the electrical conduit is great. I think the plans call for using a boring tool of some sort.

Actually, the plans call for it to be cut with a hotwire too. It involves more template making and setup time though. I can cut it all with the computer though.

I forgot to mention that I also cut not only the spar troughs but I separated the leading edges. I even radiused the corners where the shear web goes. Normally you would do this with sandpaper but I just cut them this way to begin with. I hope to provide a product that is ready for glass. I don't think the builder will have any need for a hotwire at all.

post-1835-141090155388_thumb.jpg

EUREKA CNC

Eureka%20small.gif

Perfection To The Core!

I can't confirm from just the pics, but they look... "perfect".

I don't think the builder will have any need for a hotwire at all.

I haven't seen any canard wing tips yet. ;)

Actually, those would be a great small-sized product to sell, to allow your potential buyers to sample something small and useful before they buy the big stuff.

Ummm, that's because those parts aren't hotwired. You sand them to shape by hand per the plans. I'm not sure it would be possible to hotwire them anyway due to the compound curves involved. I might give it a try nonetheless. It would be nice to be able to ensure symmetry between the two tips.

EUREKA CNC

Eureka%20small.gif

Perfection To The Core!

Ummm, that's because those parts aren't hotwired. You sand them to shape by hand per the plans.

I thought that might be the case.

I'm not sure it would be possible to hotwire them anyway due to the compound curves involved. I might give it a try nonetheless. It would be nice to be able to ensure symmetry between the two tips.

I've read about others doing it with a hotwire (manually), but I understand about the compound curves. Oh well, and you're right, you don't need a hotwire tool for that.

I cut both a left and right root section core last night. I plan on cutting the remainder of the right wing tonight and tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how much quicker this goes now that I've got the cut files done.

Photos to follow later.

EUREKA CNC

Eureka%20small.gif

Perfection To The Core!

Photos as promised. The one looking towards the outside of the garage (winglet in foreground) does a good job of showing how smooth these things are. The light is at such an extreme angle. From the photos it kindof looks like they don't fit together that well but it's only because I don't have any jigs to hold everything in proper alignment.

I've now cut most of the right wing as well. I just have the tip section left to do and I'll have a complete set of wings.

post-1835-141090155474_thumb.jpg

post-1835-141090155476_thumb.jpg

EUREKA CNC

Eureka%20small.gif

Perfection To The Core!

Eureka! I've finally done it:cool: I completed the wings today. Now I've cut every part required to be hotwired. This is the culmination of 2 years of extensive work and I've finally completed my first set of real parts.

I was going to set everything up outside and take some photos but it was too windy today. This photo was taken before I cut the aileron extension that protrudes out into the wing tip but I've completed that now as well.

Now for the bad news:( I just found out that I'm going to have to deploy for awhile. I have a couple of months left and then I'll be gone for about 6 months. I plan on completing any orders I have where people have given me either money or foam but I doubt I will be able to fill any more. On a good note, this will give a few people a chance to thoroughly evaluate my products and give feedback from a builder's perspective. I should still be in contact via this forum and email.

If anyone really wants to try out these cores and intends to build wings within the next six months, shoot me a private message and if I have time I'll cut some for you. I would really like to get rid of my foam stockpile before leaving. I should have enough foam for 1 set of wings that isn't reserved. The limiting factor will be time.

post-1835-14109015548_thumb.jpg

EUREKA CNC

Eureka%20small.gif

Perfection To The Core!

• 1 month later...

Sorry I haven't posted any updates in awhile; I've been really really busy lately getting ready to leave as well as cutting lots of foam. I have delivered 1 canard, 1 set of winglets, and 1 set of wings with winglets. I have another set of wings with winglets as well as a single wing with winglet sitting in my garage ready to be shipped out.

I am putting the finishing touches on 1 last set of Long-EZ wings and winglets as I prepare to leave for the next six months. I need to get all this foam out of here so my wife can park in the garage while I'm gone. I'm not sure if I'll have the time or the foam to do the bottom winglets or not.

I don't yet have a buyer for this set. I will sell it for $1100 plus shipping (probably $200-$300 depending on where you live). Since this is so time sensitive, I don't have time to poll everyone on my "interested" list and wait for replies. Anyone that is interested should send me a private message. I'll give preference to those on the "list" for the next 24 hours. After that, I'll take the first to commit to the purchase.

I'd prefer to sell this set to someone who really needs wings now and can't wait 6+ months for me to get home. It would be nice to have some true builder feedback before I start cutting again. If there aren't any LEZ builders ready for wings then that's ok too. This is more of a first come, first served deal.

post-1835-141090155818_thumb.gif

post-1835-141090155824_thumb.gif

EUREKA CNC

Eureka%20small.gif

Perfection To The Core!

Hello all,

I got my wings and winglets last wek and they are beautiful. If you need wings, this is a great deal for you. I'm stoked!!!! Thanks Stephen!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Press on

Tom

"Time flys when your building"

I recently received my canard and winglet cores from Steve. I have not yet verified against the plans templates, nor have I pieced-together all the parts to verify fit, but I can offer this right now:

• Quality work! The cuts are absolutely flawless and VERY smooth. They look like they came out of a machine :) (of course they have). Steve has built a top-notch hot wire cutter (with auto-tensioning system), has figured out how to maintain the perfect wire temperature, and drives the cuts by a computer (using virtual templates).
  • There are no signs of wire lag that's typical with the two-person hot wire procedure. In fact, you would not know that a hot wire was involved at all unless you knew of the process of hot wiring foam. It's as if the foam was blown into female molds.
  • I am confident the smooth surface will make for easier layups (there's no need to sand the foam) as well as a better finish.
I will do a proper review and write-up in a week or two (after I get my CNC-cut wing foam, which should be coming soon). In the meantime I wish Steve godspeed in his return from Iraq. Looking into the crystal ball, Eureka CNC (Steve's company), will be the "go to" place for getting wing cores for many new builders.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys and/or gals,

I'm on my way out of the country. I may or may not have access to the forum while I'm away. I'll try to log on once I get to my destination. I should have access to email. At any rate, I should be back some time in Nov. I'll be taking some leave and spending some time with my family but hopefully I'll be back to cutting foam by Christmas.

God Bless you all,

EZ Ahab

EUREKA CNC

Eureka%20small.gif

Perfection To The Core!