Jon Matcho

Introducing the Open-EZ Tandem, a 2-place tandem canard

Please see this post for important information regarding an update to the templates.

There have been many inquiries about how to build a Long-EZ, with the main issue being how to locate the Long-EZ paper drawings. They're simply not available, and there are no signs that they will become available in the future.

There is now an alternative -- the Open-EZ. Derived from the Long-EZ and made available to me anonymously over the Internet, Open-EZ "plans" consist of 14 drawings labeled the same as Long-EZ drawings for purposes of synergy.

At a glance, you can consider the Open-EZ to be a Long-EZ compatible clone. Digging deeper and comparing Open-EZ drawings (revision 5) to Long-EZ drawings, you will notice a few differences, with the most notable enhancement being the addition of a measurement verification system on each drawing.

DISCLAIMER

These Open-EZ drawings are being made available solely for educational purposes and provided without any support or warranty whatsoever. NO AIRCRAFT HAS EVER BEEN BUILT FROM THESE PARTICULAR DRAWINGS. THE OPEN-EZ DRAWINGS HAVE NOT BEEN PROVEN AND ARE A CONCEPTUAL WORK IN PROGESS – FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. If you choose, through your own free will, to build, operate, or pilot an aircraft that was built using Open-EZ drawings, then you hereby acknowledge the risks and responsibilities associated with such an activity, which can involve death, injury, and property damage to you or others.

ON YOUR OWN

For the experimental aircraft home-builder, in theory, you can conceivably build and fly an Open-EZ (heeding the prior warning) by doing the following:

1. Read this Open-EZ post.
  2. Purchase the Rutan Aircraft Factory CD-ROM Encyclopedia from TERF.
  3. Purchase the Roncz canard plans from Rutan Aircraft Factory.  Update:  Roncz canard plans are no longer available from RAF and will soon be available as part of the Open-EZ project.
  4. Download the Open-EZ drawings and print according to the instructions in the included README file.
  5. Update the Long-EZ plans AND Open-EZ templates with information from the Canard Pusher newsletters (also on the TERF CD).
  6. Build an Open-EZ.
  7. Determine whether your creation is airworthy (this is entirely your decision!)
  8. Enjoy your accomplishment.

I do hope that everyone appreciates and welcomes these drawings into the community, and that someday soon someone takes on building and flying an Open-EZ.

Any and all feedback is entirely welcome!

Enjoy!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Canard Zone Member & Administrator
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Long-term:  Building a Cozy Mark IV

Jon:

Last night I downloaded the drawing set for the Open EZ. Today, I printed a set of the drawings before I looked at them on my computer.

What I found surprised me in that the Open EZ drawings are identical to the Long EZ Templates A-1 through A14. I know, because I have a licensed, unused set of drawings for the Long EZ. In comparing the drawings, the only difference I see are the measurement marks on the corners of the drawings that you mentioned in your notes.

The printer at the print shop I used is high quality, and the mesurements agreed with the dimensions on the finished prints. Nice, Now I have a full set of spare templates, thanks!

What is interesting is that with the Terf CD and the Open EZ drawings (templates really), a new Long EZ could be scratch built as long as the plans changes and updates in the carnard pusher newsletters are considered.

So why not call it a Long EZ? Where did these things come from; the Long EZ Good Fairy?

Looks like building a 2006 Long EZ is now a no brainer for those in search of those hard to find Long EZ templates.

JR

Avpro56 said:

Last night I downloaded the drawing set for the Open EZ. Today, I printed a set of the drawings before I looked at them on my computer.

Wow, that was fast! It really is that easy though -- take the files to Kinko's/OfficeMax/Staples/SirSpeedy/etc. and have them printed on 18" x 24" paper. Simple.

What I found surprised me in that the Open EZ drawings are identical to the Long EZ Templates A-1 through A14. I know, because I have a licensed, unused set of drawings for the Long EZ. In comparing the drawings, the only difference I see are the measurement marks on the corners of the drawings that you mentioned in your notes.

You must have noticed that an ink splot or two has been cleaned up. :rolleyes:

The printer at the print shop I used is high quality, and the mesurements agreed with the dimensions on the finished prints.

That's good to hear. I spent a few trips to Kinko's before I was able to get comfortable with the dimensions. I compared with my Long-EZ copies, and everything checked out as well.

Nice, Now I have a full set of spare templates, thanks!

I never thought of this as an added value -- nice!

What is interesting is that with the Terf CD and the Open EZ drawings (templates really), a new Long EZ could be scratch built as long as the plans changes and updates in the carnard pusher newsletters are considered.

That's the idea.

So why not call it a Long EZ?

Here's where I feel that we need to respect Rutan's/RAF's wishes -- they obviously don't want more Long-EZs flying, but have had no problems with other knock-offs (Cozy, Velocity, Berkut, ERacer, DART, etc.). To this end, I must refer to these files as 'Open-EZ drawings' to disconnect Rutan/RAF from any liability. Given the fact that RAF NEVER put these drawings out electronically, and that they have no control over how they were scanned and will be printed, it's just not right to refer to them as Long-EZ anything -- they're NOT involved whatsoever.

Where did these things come from; the Long EZ Good Fairy?

I'm not telling... only because I don't know. I downloaded from an FTP site that is no longer available.

Looks like building a 2006 Long EZ is now a no brainer for those in search of those hard to find Long EZ templates.

Building an Open-EZ is a no-brainer. :)

Glad you liked them!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

THANK YOU JON!

I'll have these up on the walls of the garage next weekend. Then it can begin...

-dave

This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

While I personally printed and verified my dimensions against Long-EZ copies, as well did Avpro56 with his ACTUAL Long-EZ drawings, I encourage others to test a page or two as well -- to verify the ability to generate these prints consistently.

Keep in mind that each of YOU need to do your own quality assurance by verifying the printed dimensions using the simple procedure mentioned. This was previously done by RAF, but now must be done by anyone looking to use these "out in the wild".

Dropped off a CD of the PDFs with precise instructions at Kinko's on my way in to work today. Wish me luck...

-dave

dpaton said:

Dropped off a CD of the PDFs with precise instructions at Kinko's on my way in to work today. Wish me luck...

I tested at Kinko's as well, on their Oce 400 scanning/printing system. The operator managed to mess up a few prints now and again, which they always fixed and reprinted at no charge.

Also, you can deal with being 1/16th of an inch off by deciding where to draw in or outside of the lines.

Let us know how they come out.

I just got a phone call from the operator...he wanted to know what it was I was having him print. Once I told him, he sucked me into a half hour conversation about homebuilding and these crazy plastic tail-first airplanes. He seemed pretty excited about the idea. I gave him the URL...maybe he'll stop by, but he's only about 16...not sure if he'll be building any time soon. He also said, he'd pay extra special attention to the templates now that he knows what they're for.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

-dave

$31.50 plus tax. THat's $0.75/sqft I believe.

-dave

Just want to say THANK YOU to Tony and Jon and anyone else that help make these plans available. I really appreciate the opportunity you have provided me.

Agreed. I spent a good 2 hours yesterday playing with the templates, and realizing I really need to clean up the garage before I can even think about building bulkheads.

After chasing incomplete plans sets, obscenely inflated eBay auctions, and folks who promised copies but never delivered, for close to 5 years, it's gratifying to know that the community loves these planes enough to keep more coming.

-dave

Dave, how did your printed drawings measure up?

The $0.75/s.f. is what my local Kinko's charges two, which works out to $2.25/drawing.

Mine are pretty close. I'm off by a couple of line widths on the right side of the instrument panel when I align the CLs. It looks like the scan might have been stretched a little since none of the instrument holes on that side lined up precisely either. It's nothing I'm worried about however, since I'm going to be using Tony's widened bulkhead plans. I'll go home tonight and measure the rest for you.

Is it possible that one or two of the sheets need to be adjusted by 1-3% to make everything perfect?

-dave

dpaton said:

Mine are pretty close. I'm off by a couple of line widths on the right side of the instrument panel when I align the CLs.

Lining up using the Center Lines is going to be different for every builder -- and why these drawings should be redone to print on a single sheet of paper.

It looks like the scan might have been stretched a little since none of the instrument holes on that side lined up precisely either.

I doubt the scan was stretched. What are you attempting to line up the holes with?

I'll go home tonight and measure the rest for you.

It would be great if you could measure between the tick marks.

Is it possible that one or two of the sheets need to be adjusted by 1-3% to make everything perfect?

Possibly less than 1%, but 3% is "HUGE". Let me know what drawings, if any, have issues with distances between the "long side" and "short side" tick marks.

Thanks!

Jon-

I checked the rest of the print joint lines tonight after dinner. Here's the results:

A1/A2 joint is off approx 1/8" on the right side

A7/A8 joint is off about 1/8" at the top

A9/A10, BL106.25 template is off about 1/16" on the bottom of the airfoil (not worried about this one, it's only a line width)

A11/A12, jug #4 is off about 1/16" on the bottom of the airfoil (see above)

All of these are within a couple of inches of the edge, and I think all came from the same edge of the printer, though I can't be sure since most of them are already cut out.

All of the prints were off by less than 1/16" overall in both dimensions when I pickeed them up...half a line width or so. You can understand why I'm a little confused after putting the first set together.

I've posted a few pictures of the A1/A2 disparity, since it's the most obvious, what with all the lines: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Thoughts?

-dave

Dave:

Your post about aligment of templates A1 & A2 prompted me to take a look at my own orginal set of templates for the Long EZ.

I carefully laid out drawings A1 and A2, folding the edge on A-2 without cutting the drawing. The alignment on the factory supplied templates is exactly as you describe, it does not match up on the right side by about.125".

Not having built a Long EZ myself, I can only say the misalignment must have been present in most plans sets as supplied by RAF. It is my judgment that this is not so critical because it is not an airfoil template that is in error. I myself would simply average errors out and move ahead, comparing to known diemnsions. The objective here is to make all parts fit one another.

Why the misalignment? I would surmize that it's due to the fact that all Long EZ templates that were supplied with the original plans sets were copies; this error was most likely introduced during the original copying process. If you look back, copying technology is light years ahead of where it was in the 1980's. What follows is that you have a copy of a plans set that obviously had this error introduced since day one. One can also see that Rutan's fears and cautions about copying copies were well founded; he knew about the limitations of 1980's copy machines. It is somewhat ironic that an original error was duplicated by more modern technology.

It might be possible to electronically "stretch" the file in this dimension that you have to make things line up, thereby eliminating the original error! In effect payback and repair of old technology.

A question to an experienced Long EZ builder will likely bring reference to similar errors in the original plans sets from the 1980's era. But I'll bet it's getting harder to recall those trivial problems so many years later.

Happy building!

Jon

dpaton said:

I've posted a few pictures of the A1/A2 disparity, since it's the most obvious, what with all the lines: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

I only see an issue with pics #3 and #5 (same area). Pic #1 looks fine to me, but 3 and 5 definitely do not.

Here's what could be happening:

a) "stretch" during scan

b) "stretch" during print

c) this is how they all were

I'll reproduce your test, but in the meantime and when you get a chance, would you mind going through all the drawings and giving me detailed measurements on what your long-side and short-side tick mark measurements are? I'll be able to adjust by N% using a combination of your measurements, my measurements, and testing piecing some together.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks, to both Jons.

AvPro-

I thing you may have just verified the dimensional build tolerance for the build :D If the original prints all had these small errors, I'm not going to worry as much, but I'm still going to try and get it fixed.

Jon (M)-

The 'good' images I posted were to show that indeed, the alignment error was not due to me fat-fingering the pasteup process, or some other wierdness not the fault of the package. I really wish I'd measured the tick marks a little better before I started cutting things up, as there are now a limited number of them still present. I'm going to be reprinting a few for unrelated reasons, and I'll be happy to measure those when I get them done.

I'm also gong to try and get some of Tony's images printed so I can do a 2-way comparison against drawings which I have much higher confidence in dimensionally. Not that I think the PDFs are wrong, but I think that Tony's transcription of the original bulkheads and things into AutoCAD probably produced drawings with better left/right symmerty than 20-30 year old copies.

We'll get to the bottom of this...

-dave

Jon Matcho said:

2) Purchase the Roncz canard plans from Rutan Aircraft Factory.

I just got the following from RAF this afternoon:

Sorry, we're closing RAF and are out of the Roncz Canard plans.

Looks like the OpenEZ project has something else to shoot for, or else we need to post a template and instructions for VGs for the GU canard, against the suggestion of the CPs and the guy who (formerly) had his name on the door.

-dave

Aside from being the bearer of bad news (see above post) I'm trying to fix the errors I've found in the templates. It looks like the erors are original, and can most likely be attributed to the rather imprecise science of xerography in the 70s and early 80s.

I'll be working for the next week (or more...these files are pretty big) on getting the images stitched together digitally to enable nice people to print them as a single continuous template. It'll cost a little more at Kinko's, but it should significantly increase the accuracy of the drawings since they won't be mechanically taped together. I'll be providing updates of my progress to Jon, unless someone else is appointed OpenEZ Honcho first. :D

-dave

dpaton said:

Looks like the OpenEZ project has something else to shoot for...

That's an easier one... I purchased those plans several months ago.

Aside from being the bearer of bad news (see above post) I'm trying to fix the errors I've found in the templates. It looks like the erors are original, and can most likely be attributed to the rather imprecise science of xerography in the 70s and early 80s.

Possibly, but I'd like to compare/align my "Australian copies" to look for the same "errors".

I'll be working for the next week (or more...these files are pretty big) on getting the images stitched together digitally to enable nice people to print them as a single continuous template.

This was/is on my list, but I'm out of time. I was going to:

• Enhance the "measurement verification system"
  • Stitch together
  • Rework the text
  • Update with Canard Pusher information

That's time consuming, but definitely possible. I'd do it, but I'm building a Cozy Mark IV!!! :o

It'll cost a little more at Kinko's, but it should significantly increase the accuracy of the drawings since they won't be mechanically taped together.

So true. Aircraft Spruce offers full-size drawings, which happen to be at least an 1/8" off in some places when compared to the stitched drawings. At some point I figured I was good to go. ;)

I'll be providing updates of my progress to Jon, unless someone else is appointed OpenEZ Honcho first. :D

Go for it Dave!!! Seriously, this is not a race. Take whatever time you need towards contributing to the next OpenEZ revision (#6).

I just remembered that I have a set of hardboard wing and jig "templates" to compare against. We'll see what, if anything, needs to be resized for the next revision.

First off, I want to thank the OPEN EZ community for getting this ball rolling. I ordered my TERF cd lastweek and now with the templetes downloaded, I can finally begin building a tandem canard of my own.

You know the story, when plans were avaliable, cash wasn't. Up until this thread got going, it was cash avaliable, plans weren't.

With RAF officially closed now, what will become of the Roncz canard?

Will a Ronczclone be made avaliable here too?

Thanks and keep up the GREAT work!

Curt

Although I really want to build a Cozy or Aerocanard, this may be the low start-up budget option that I could get started on now.

It just so happens I have access to an HP 800S Inkjet plotter. I went ahead and tried to print template one (the Tif file). It may have been the image program I used, but I specified ANSI D paper size and landscape while specifying no scaling in the software and printer settings (I thought). The image came out about 10% larger than it should have, but it clearly wasn't fitting it to the page or it would have been even bigger. Anyone have any ideas on getting the file to print to original scale?

I'm going to try printing it from Photo Editor tomorrow instead of the default windows viewer. For some reason, I couldn't get the pdf to print at all, but that may be because we still use Acrobat 4.0 at work.

lagdamper said:

With RAF officially closed now, what will become of the Roncz canard?

Will a Ronczclone be made avaliable here too?

We'll just have to wait and see... ;)

Cazenave26 said:

Although I really want to build a Cozy or Aerocanard, this may be the low start-up budget option that I could get started on now.

Think twice about spending any money or time based on the "entry fee". That's just the tip of the iceberg. While the Long-EZ will be less expensive than a Cozy or AeroCanard, plane-building does take some $ along the way. You can get started on the first few chapters without much cost, but do expect a "few thousand" by the time you're into it (plans, materials, supplies, tools...).

Pick the plane that will fit you 5 to 10 to 15 years from now. Of course you can build and fly within 3 years, but then you're special.