Jon Matcho

Introducing the Open-EZ Tandem, a 2-place tandem canard

I too want to thank the Open Ez effort. I'm a few years still from starting, and am more leaning towards the Cozy/AC option, but do love the LEZ too....my Bro-InLaw (FBO at HBZ) built his in '85 and I've flown it and of course loved it as I knew I would since I saw my first VEZ at March AFB Open House in '78. (still got the pic I took..had green stripes) Also still following Atlantica, but it's taking way too long....

I have 4 boys and a wife handy with tools and aviation friendly, after we add on to our small house and clean out the garage I can start working towards the goal. Problem is where to tie up here in SoCal. It's nutso here....

I'm also a 30yr Rotary Engine nut, so you know whats going in the back of anything I build...Ha Ha.

Cazenave26-

If you can download the free reader for Acrobat 6 or 7 they should print properly.

lagdamper-

I'm not too worried about the Roncz canard. We have some very resourceful people here, and one of them will find a solution. Someone always does. Look at what the Cozy Girrls have done with the metal parts that Brock used to make.

And the promised few tidbits of information:

*The Canard Pusher was published until January of 1996, 83 issues in all. OpenEZ folks need only worry about #s 24-82. They're all on the TERF CDs though. the 24-82 numbers came out of the fact that #83 doesn't have any MAN-GRD messages or plans changes in it.

*The template rework will take me a significant amount of time. My current target is 1-2 months for turning the 11 A sheets that get joined into templates and drawings into the large format templates that are needed. Of course, as with anything done with the spare hours in my day, that's a very fluid estimate, and the mileage with most definitely vary. I'll be posting regular progress updates to keep everyone in the loop. It's not plane building, but it's as close as I can get right now.

Oops, the boss is looking. I should really wait to post these things until I get home...

-dave

This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

OK, one more piece of information. After a few hours with a ruler and a pencil and a square and a caliper, it looks like my theory of xerographic distortion is one step closer to proven. All of the distortion on the A6/7/8 (nose) template set is normal to the 18" side. My theory is that when the plans were copied, they were bulk fed though a machine the skinny way (the normal way , and the optical head and the paper weren't moving at exactly the same rate. This produced an uneven compression of the dimensions of 1/32 to 1/8". Something I can fix more easily on these two pages than on the instrument panel pages (A1/2), or on the airfoil pages (A9/10, A12/13). Thankfully, the latter require the least amount of fixing out of all of them. It also means that everyone's wings have a chord about 3/32" too long, and that all the canards made from those templates are distorted by about 0.6%. Obviously, it's not a problem for anyone, since there are hundreds and hundreds of them flying with the tweaked templates.

Right now my work priority list looks like this:

A6/7/8

A9/10

A12/13

A1/2

I mainly put the instrument panel last becuase Tony has already done a beautiful job of transcribing that particular piece into DXFs and PDFs.

More information as it comes...

-dave

Great work Dave! I wonder what 3/32" is going to amount to on the new airfoil? Probably not much, but it's great to be able to have a handle on all of this.

I still have to test assemble my "Australian copies" to look for the same error, which I'll aim to do this weekend.

The biggest benefit of this will be to have single sheet prints without the need to piece anything together.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Canard Zone Member & Administrator
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Long-term:  Building a Cozy Mark IV

Jon-

I don't believe that the 3/32" on the chord of the wing root matters much at all. Looking at the plans and the templates, it's easy to be that much off once everything is laid, filled, sanded, primed and painted. Plus, it's not at a single point, like the LE or TE, it's across the entire chord, pretty uniformly. I'll give it a shot though, as I'll be moving the templates around anyway to get them on a sheet a little tighter.

When you assemble your Aus. copies, do the A6/7/8 one first, since it's where I spotted the most errors, and where the problems are most easily measured.

Oh, and congrats, that was post number 1000 for you! :thumbsup:

-dave

dpaton said:

I don't believe that the 3/32" on the chord of the wing root matters much at all.

Are you kidding me?! With an airfoil that is more true to the intended design, the aircraft will be far more slippery. I expect top speed to increase by at least 50kts! :rolleyes:

When you assemble your Aus. copies, do the A6/7/8 one first, since it's where I spotted the most errors, and where the problems are most easily measured.

I'll let you know what I find.

Oh, and congrats, that was post number 1000 for you! :thumbsup:

Yay, now where's my prize? :)

If the plans were reproduced in mass on the same equiment, wouldn't it stand to reason that the compression error would be consistent for all of the templates (assuming the copies were made from a complete original set of drawings)?

Are you kidding me?! With an airfoil that is more true to the intended design, the aircraft will be far more slippery. I expect top speed to increase by at least 50kts! :rolleyes:

You know, I've got a couple of speed shop stickers from when I built a hot rod. I think they're worth at least 7kts each. :D

Yay, now where's my prize? :)

The eternal gratitude of the beneficiaries of the OpenEZ project?

-dave

If the plans were reproduced in mass on the same equiment, wouldn't it stand to reason that the compression error would be consistent for all of the templates (assuming the copies were made from a complete original set of drawings)?

Well, yes and no. There is some consistency across most of the sheets, but it varies both sheet to sheet and within a single sheet. A1 and A2 suffered some other sort of abuse. They're not only slighty compressed and expanded in spots, but are skewed and distorted in both angular and circular ways, something I was careul to look for and very happy to NOT find on A6-A13. I'm not sure what happened there exactly, but it's definitely something odd.

-dave

You almost wonder whether importing the plans into a CAD program and "fixing" them based upon known physical dimensions would be more efficient.

I'm not sure, but I thought there were ways for line images to be imported into Autocad for later modification. (Not sure if the same is possible with the cheaper software like Turbocad). I might see if I can find my Turbocad software and reinstall it and see what I can do with it. (of course the odds on my finding that software are substantially worse than 50:50 :rolleyes: )

Well, I'm using the TIFFs in Photoshop, but that's basically what I'm doing. I have layout lines on a seperate layer, and I'm tweaking and adjusting until the WLs and FSs fall into the right places. I'm sticking to PS right now because of the really awesome tools for un-skewing things. It's slow, but steady progress. I'm also realizing that my twin 20" widescreen LCD panels aren't enough. I could really use a LARGE format display or two...I need around 14,000 pixels of horizontal resolution to be really happy doing these templates :rolleyes:

If I can get some time this weekend, I have high hopes of finishing the A6/7/8 concatanation sooner than planned.

DXFs have their own issues, which were beaten to death in another thread. The PDFs allow guaranteed precision and scaling for all who use them, which for something like this is a requirement.

Besides, Tony Malfa already has most of the bulkheads and templates and things digitized into DXFs, and will (I hope) be releasing his drawings in the TZ section soon, with his long nose modification. :D

-dave

Tony is correct - as long (no pun intended) as the template drawings are dimensioned, what difference does it make whether they are quarter scale, half scale, zillionth scale, (provided they are legible) or full scale?

You might find the following interesting.

Let me quote: "FULL SIZE Drawings - I received a question as to why all the drawings for ribs, etc. are not full-size to allow for tracing to the part. The answer is because so many of the ribs, etc., are so long that they won't fit any convenient paper size and that (sic) paper that long can shrink and thus effect (sic) the size of the part. If you use the following hints you will find that converting the scaled-down drawings will be a very small percentage of the work required to build your aircraft:

Do not draw the part full size to transfer to the material; transfer the

dimensions directly to the wood or metal. (ball point pen on wood; BIC

Banana on metal). Have a wife or friend read the dimensions from the

drawing or grid while you use a scale to plot them on the material. This

is much faster than looking back and forth and eliminates errors. Buy a

Stanley metal tape, rule no. B61-112Y. This is a 12 foot retractable tape-

rule with graduations in tenths of inches, not 1/16ths. That tool alone

will save you many hours of conversions."

Variviggen News No. 1. May 1974

Rutan Aircraft Factory/P.O. Box 111 Valley Center, KS. 67147

Also: "Be sure you are using the decimal 12" rule and tape measure, fractions are for carpenters!"

Page 3. Variviggen News No. 2. Oct 74

Rutan Aircraft Factory

Burt and Carolyn Rutan

Building #13, Mojave Airport

P.O. Box 656, Mojave, Ca. 93501

FYI, that was written almost 32 years ago.

AVIIX said:

Tony is correct - as long (no pun intended) as the template drawings are dimensioned, what difference does it make whether they are quarter scale, half scale, zillionth scale, (provided they are legible) or full scale?

Unless you're only making squared shapes, full-sized drawings are essential, particularly for the airfoil cross sections. Most bulkheads and other items are not only squares, so having full-sized paper to trace onto the material makes life so much easier. It saves time.

You might find the following interesting.

These quotes are before the Long-EZ, let alone the VariEze, were even prototyped.

"FULL SIZE Drawings - I received a question as to why all the drawings for ribs, etc. are not full-size to allow for tracing to the part. The answer is because so many of the ribs, etc., are so long that they won't fit any convenient paper size and that (sic) paper that long can shrink and thus effect (sic) the size of the part.

I don't buy this -- it's because they wanted to save paper space as much as possible. Having to piece together 3 parts to make one wing cross-section template is a bit much, and begs for errors far greater than the +/- 1/32" shrinkage of paper, if any, IMO.

If you use the following hints you will find that converting the scaled-down drawings will be a very small percentage of the work required to build your aircraft:

I don't buy those either, for the same reasons as with the wing dimensions and any other curve more complex than a 90 degree angle. For the airfoil cross sections, there are NO measurements; only a complex set of curves. What other option is there besides some sort of full-size trace/transfer? :confused:

The tenths of an inch business is a pet peeve of mine -- unnecessary tool that I "need". I really don't see the issue with 1/16ths of an inch, but that's just me. I suppose I'll shake loose someday and get me one of them thar funny rulers...

FYI, that was written almost 32 years ago.

Since it was written 3 design-generations prior to the plane I'm building, you might as well pull some notes from Orville and Wilbur. :)

I love my full-size drawings!

Jon,

Are any of the updates in the Canard Pusher Newsletter already incorporated into the Open-EZ 2-place?

Do you think that there will ever be a set of drawings completed that update the Open-EZ?

Bob

Are any of the updates in the Canard Pusher Newsletter already incorporated into the Open-EZ 2-place?

Not yet....see below.

Do you think that there will ever be a set of drawings completed that update the Open-EZ?

I may do that for the templates I'm working on. I'm not making any promises yet, but it's something I'm looking into.

-dave

RDangredo said:

Yes, I do, but timing depends on those willing to donate their time towards furthering the project.

Speaking of, I'd like to thank everyone who's contributed in various ways thus far... it's much appreciated.

AvPro56,

I am printing out A1-A14 today at Kinkos. Once these drawings are printed out, where can the step-by-step construction process be found? Also, since you have an original set of plans, are there any plan pages missing? Sent off for my plass practice kit today.

Bob

The plans and manuals are available on the TERF CD set. It's available from TERF, and costs USD$295 plus shipping.

There are no pages missing from the templates that I'm aware of.

-dave

I called my local kinkos and the quote they gave me to print the temps would run me 450 dollars. is this about the same everyone else is paying. or did I get a bad quote. im lookin into other options, my wife has a relative thats a draftsman and has a big fancy printer at his home. Im checking to see if he can do it.

sorry to everyone in this post that im not putting in any info, Im just stuying everything right now before I began.

Lynn

Lynn-

That's hugely inflated. My local shop printed mine on their Oce 400 for less than $40, including tax. 18x24, black and white, and they even checked the measurement marks. $450 would be OK if you were printing hundreds and hundreds of color pages and having them bound. 14 prints should never cost that much.

If it comes down to it, someone (like me) with a cheaper Kinkos will be happy to send you prints for cost only.

-dave

AvPro56,

I am printing out A1-A14 today at Kinkos. Once these drawings are printed out, where can the step-by-step construction process be found? Also, since you have an original set of plans, are there any plan pages missing? Sent off for my plass practice kit today.

Bob

Bob:

Everything is there for the templates; I checked. You'll also need the full plans set from the TERF CD. The TERF CD will include everything needed to build except the templates.

Also, the Roncz Canard templates are not included in the Open EZ Drawings. Until recently, the Roncz Canard drawings were available from RAF. If you look around you should be able to find a set of those templates as well.

Jon

When I was making a test copy of a sheet, I was quoted $10. Somehow the person thought I wanted it done in color on some sort of fancier paper. I knew it should have been MUCH cheaper, since I'd been there a week earlier @ $0.75/s.f. After some discussion, everything was straightened out.

Your Kinkos may not have the right equipment, or the equipment in house.

An update of sorts...no news to report. I've spent the last few weeks working either 15 hour days, or inverted days, so progress has been nonexistant. Fear not, I'm not giving up, it's just going to take a little longer than I planned, due to the whims of the office.

-dave

Glad to hear you're still at it. Another donor has provided the Roncz canard plans and I am in the process of setting those up for download.

More to come...

Fellow Open EZ'rs,

RAF is indeed closed. I tried to contact them to order a set of speed brake plans and recieved nothing but silence. I've managed to gather all the drawings I need (THANKS FELLAS), except for the Speed Brake.

Does anyone have these drawings? If not, can ya'll point in the direction I should look?

Curt