Jon Matcho

Introducing the Open-EZ Tandem, a 2-place tandem canard

Nothing new from me. The templates I'm reworking are still on hold, pending work commitments. Also, I'm in the process of rebuilding a motor for my car, as the one it came with (12 years ago) is about 5k miles or so from forced retirement. Needless to say, aeronautic pursuits are taking a back seat right now. It's making me sad too. :irked:

-dave

This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

I'm just holding tight w/my own updates, waiting to sync up w/Dave's.

Haven't heard that RAF is NOT selling Roncz plans, so can't include those just yet.

Anyone setting out to build an Open-EZ just yet?

Jon Matcho :busy:
Canard Zone Member & Administrator
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Long-term:  Building a Cozy Mark IV

Jon -

I'm on the fence; will have to wait and see what I do for housing this fall... The smart thing to do would be to sink all of my money into a nice house; but the fun thing to do would be to get a cheap condo and figure out a space to build in... ;-) Have the TERF CD, would probably get the pre-cut wings from Aerocad (If all I have to do is lay up the spars and skin, I can dispense with the wing-jigs right?)... Would love the Roncz canard; but as others have found out, RAF told me the plans are no longer available. :-P

Thanks to all who made the templates a reality - I felt frustrated and cursed because my young age prevented me from building a true EZ back when they were officially available... Why should those of us inspired by the EZ or the Voyager as kids be prevented from enjoying the planes as adults?

A note on the earlier comments about reynolds numbers, scale-models, and efficiency: Reynolds numbers are HUGE in terms of lift, efficiency, and flying characteristics. I've had the pleasure of working with some R/C glider designers, and the airfoils that work best on their current 24" sub-4-ounce flying wing violate all kinds of accepted theory - yet extensive full-scale testing has proved the design is pretty near optimal. These same airfoils would fly horribly on my 10' wingspan thermal glider! Bottom line: Aerodynamic design is so application-specific and full of compromises that it is really hard to extrapolate from any one design to another.

Also, I didn't read the whole article - but did that student say anything about the spin/stall characteristics of the "more efficient" versions? Something tells me that a canard that is producing more efficient lift may allow the AOA to get so high that nasty stalls could occur; thus negating a BIG part of Burt's original design intentions... This is another point about aerodynamic design: the flying characteristics, aircraft's mission, and other aspects may be just as important (if not more important) than the simple matter of efficiency or lifting-capacity.

OK, time for me to quit rambling for the night. :-P

Take care,

--Noel

Just received this past Wednesday from RAF, plans for the Roncz canard, the speed brake and the 2nd edition of the owner's handbook.

So, RAF is still answering order requests. It was a slow process but it is now a completed one.

TERF cd in hand, Open-EZ templates printed-out, Roncz plans delivered. Now the final item to figure out, where to build. Oh the :confused: of living in an apartment.

Good Morning TomCanard,

My check to pay for the order was dated March 18th.

I'll be starting this summer, Hopefully by the end of June, though things always seem to get pushed back. I'm also waiting on the plans update and will be purchasing the Roncz canard plans soon. I'm currently redoing the plans so I'll be able to include the changes. I have the CP changes through 82 but am missing the remainder, through 10X.

I'll also be modifiying the templates further by building a LimoEZ (the proto-type to the Berkut). I'm ordering back copies of CSA newsletters that cover the Limo-EZ. I have the Cozy plans as well as the AeroCad shareware plans for backup.

Bob Hassel

Santa Fe, NM

Bob Hassel

Cozy Plans #749

Santa Fe, NM

http://www.cozyworld.net

http://www.hassel-usa.com

First-off, what a great concept and I am sure the effort of our anonymous benefactor who provided the template drawings is appreciated more than will ever be known.

Second, major kudos to Jon and others for their continued work from this great starting point to improve on the unknown benefactors' drawings by stitching them together.

Third, having flown a Long-EZ many moons ago, and having been a lifelong fan of Burt and his creations (most of 'em anyway), this is the most exciting discovery for me in quite some time - like several others have mentioned, I cursed my misfortune of being too young to have caught the original EZ wave.

Are there any Open-EZ projects actually under construction yet?

If so, or for projects in the current 'contemplation' stage like myself, what, if any, modifications are you considering?

Thanks to all known and unknown parties who have made this possible, and thanks to Burt for starting this lo those many years ago.

John - Open-EZ dreamer (at least for now)

I should do a little update here. While I was seriously looking at the OpenEZ/LimoEZ/TonyEZ design(s) just a short time after I posted the below post we changed our plans. It looks like the GIB would rather be the seat beside me rather in back. We also want her to get her license and me to get my IFR rating. Both would be difficult to do in a LongEZ type aircraft, since (from what I understand) landing from the backseat would be difficult.

Anyway, I still think it'd be a blast to have fighter like control in such a sleak and fun aircraft as the LongEZ. Just as long as I can get started on a canard!

Bob

Bob Hassel

Cozy Plans #749

Santa Fe, NM

http://www.cozyworld.net

http://www.hassel-usa.com

Because I like to put the cart before the horse sometimes, below is my first pass for an Open-EZ with a few modifications (some obvious some not), including Tony's long nose and a 3" increase in cockpit width at pilots seat bulkhead, a canopy mod (fixed windshield for birdstrike, still side hinged), downdraft cooling, a 6" prop extension, MT-7 prop, and retracts.

Bob mentioned having a fighter, and so my first paint scheme is a tribute to VF-1 Wolfpack.

Enjoy!!

John - Open-EZ Thinker

Posted Image

The attached is a comparo side view of a stock Long-EZ and then an Open-EZ with a 15" stretch on the nose (similar to Tony's). I also changed the canopy line and added a windshield as I said above. These are not full-on CAD drawings, just full-size basic views like I generate for our spray masks and graphics.

Enjoy!!

John - Open-EZ Thinker

Posted Image

That does look good, even if you'll need some magic paint on the wings to keep the temps below Tg for the epoxy system you're using. Maybe a very light gray would work, but you'd have to test it (or find the magic paint product). The black would cause a real mess I think.

Still, cool no doubt!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Canard Zone Member & Administrator
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Long-term:  Building a Cozy Mark IV

Thanks Jon,

As I run through possible builds in my head first, I am considering vaccuum bagging all the major parts to get best epoxy wet-through and lightest weight, as well as post curing as much as possible. The grey would be a light grey, similar to Dave Lind's long-nose Long-EZ. I might also limit the grey to just the fuselage as drawn, including the canopy sill and cowling and tipsails and then not put any on the wings.

I bet we have all seen the pretty silver Long-EZ from Oz as well as decidedly not-stock paint schemes on many flying Long's and Cozy's though - and they don't seem to be failing structurally, at least, not yet.

I know the anti-glare black in front of the windshield would normally be a no-no, but it would not, theoretically, include the canard structure (it is pretty far below). I might need to experiment on the thermal transfer properties of the vinyls we use and see if they improve or exascerbate the Tg issue.

Just a quick sketch to help the creative juices - you should see my ePanel builder mockup - it is amazing what you can consider putting in the panel of your plans-built airplane with a $6-7K airframe versus a $28K quick-build RV-8A from Van's or that mighty pretty $50K T-51 from Titan. :D

An interesting thing to consider is that while many plans-built EZ's and Cozy's take many many years to complete, going back through some of my Rutan books, they were able to crank completed aircraft out in no time (Melville and Dick built a couple Long's in a few months of evenings and weekends IIRC).

I would expect to spend the next couple months collecting the TERF CD, all the CP and CSA newsletter back issues, going through all the data here and at the 'other' forum, and getting all the mod plans I want from their respective sources. Then I would lay out a build plan and budget and see if I can work it into my aviation graphics business budget (flying commercial to stripe a sportplane just strikes me as wrong).

What a great thing this Open-EZ is, now I don't have to design my own aircraft from scratch, I can stand on the shoulders of giants instead. :)

John - Open-EZ Thinking Harder

John,

A few things: Mike & Dick were able to build quickly because they had done it all before, no doubt a few times, you then "just know what to do" and the head scratching phase is not involved unless you have some medical condition that necessatates it =) Good example it took Randi and I 2 weeks to build the first wing and one week to build the second, as far as we could tell nothing changed.

Second, irregardless of your reason for leaving off the lower winglets may I suggest at least a 3" lower winglet for three reasons:

1- first and formost, if you ever drag a wingtip (it happens more frequently than you would believe.. remember the are out there but also way back there-hint) and worse yet you are far from home, you have to ground your aircraft and make a huge repair... except for the paint, everything ground off is structural. A sacraficial lower is peace of mind.

2- contrary to many sources, they work, its when you get too slow on final you find out why.

3- if you don't take your rudders all the way to the bottom you don't break your rudders when your plane tips over backwards.

Your call, can save you a lot of grief later. Also you don't need the notch on the lower trailing edge if you don't want to.

Regards, Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Thanks Chrissi.

The CozyGirrrls' site rocks BTW!! Your plane will be something marvelous.

I know that Mike and Dick had oodles of tools and the experience, it does show what is possible though. BTW, I am not expecting to crank one out in a couple months, I just like knowing it is possibile.

I have been making my way through the forums and I think the lower winglet may be like retracts, there are pros and cons and it is ultimately a personal preference. I absolutlely prefer the aesthetics of the long rudder\no lower winglet design, but I have read about the winglet saving props and rudders in a rearward tipover or during bad landings - it is something to consider.

The sketch is just that at this point, a sketch of one possibility. I am not even into pre-build engineering\design yet, I just figured I'd put a drawing together and see what it looked like becuase I know that I am visually driven so a picture is important for me to begin to put the idea together in my head.

Thanks again!

John

About the lower winglets:

I´ll second Chrissi here! The cozy info-pak contained a very inresting article about aft c.g. testing and modifications to avoid deep-stall in the mark IV. Adding or removing the lower winglets hat a major effect here, so that´s a point I would be very reluctant to exercise self-realization unless I absolutely knew what I did.

By the way, @Chrissi: strange colours but great site!!

Kind regards,

Mario

Heres the deal, for whatever reason its even more pronounced on the Cozy than the tandem planes but Nat's plane was flown and tested with and without them, Jeff Russell flew the Aerocanard with and without them and said he would not fly without them. Steve Wright put half height ones on the Stagger-Ez, he says they seem to work and I believe he based his shorter ones on researching it in the community.

We put them on because we are getting older and slowing down, by the time we get proficient enough flying the Cozy to really enjoy it we should be real slow :) and we are doing this because we want a plane we'll love, not a thrill ride. It's the idea of scraping a wingtip and being stranded until proper repairs are made that stopped us.

Regards, Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

I cut them off as an experiment. I didn't see any difference in speed, nor any difference in low speed handling characteristics. My LongEZ is 1,000 lbs empty, and I fly at the aft CG limit. I routinely fly my EZ in all corners of the envelop, and the low speed, high angles of attack was the area I was most concerned abpout, Again, I seen no changes in low speed handling.

Review my site www.iflyez.com under "NO WINGLETS"

I do understand that I am giving up some of the "Tip Back" protection. I had one incident of this many years ago. A very slow tip back where the plane rested on the wingtips as I was dangling from the Canard.

I was pushing the plane backwards by lifting the plane from the front of the canard and pushing backwards. The main tires got caught in a rut and the canard slowly lifted, with me hanging on. It went over very slowly and didn't cause any damage.

Waiter

• Like 1

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

JlKnolla

Great rendering that is a really cool paint scheme though i'm not finished with my bird its cool to see how the nose is going to look with paint. I can kinda see it in autocad when I render or shade the drawing but it doesn't look like that. Great work Luv it.

Tony

Thanks Tony!

I can put a few ideas together for you when you are ready if you want - let me know.

John - Open-EZ Pre-Build Planning

John

That would be great. I have a few that I'm going to post anytime now that are for sure going to get everyone rouled up. Most noteably will be the steerable nose gear. Can you view cad drawings dwg or dxf? I have some 2d side views that maybe you could color in for me. by the way what program is that? What is its primary function.

Thanks Tony

I can import from DXF or DWG.

The program is my graphic design program called GSP Omega Composer from Gerber Scientific, it effectively acts as a CAD\CAM driver for our plotters and allows dimensionally accurate graphic design and prints.

As an aside, we can print up to 48" by effecively 16' length. I will be printing your CAD drawings full size so I can work with them a bit to meet my needs.

I look forward to seeing the final design configuration for the steerable nosewheel BTW. I don't dislike the free-castor nosewheel (I have a bit of time in the Grumman Cheetah) but steerable is definitely cool. :cool:

John

Sooooooo :rolleyes: Can you eliminate the nose gear strut and the strutless main wheel and the personalized fonts from the drawing and turn it into say a 12"in sticker? :D I'd be more than happy to pay you for that. I have a sign shop here in town that does great sticker work they use a plotter as well I'm wondering if they can use that same file?

Tony

Yes Tony, I could print just the side view with no wheels, $15 for a 12"x12". Do you have a complete side view in DXF or DWG or would you like to use the one I grafted together?

Your local sign shop may be able to take a DXF or DWG and do the same, worth checking on as well since they are right there near you.

Let me know.

John - Open-EZ Pre-Build Planning