Rides @ Rough River

Here's a post from the Canard Aviators list on Yahoo talking about prospective builders looking for rides at Rough River.

Gentlefolk,

I too had a wonderful time at RR as it is a great place to see planes, meet people, and renew acquaintences (and play golf--thanks Howard). I think I may have misjudged the importance of giving rides to those who are building or even thinking about building. I camped out in the field and hung out with a bunch of guys (and grrrls) and told stories late into the evening on Saturday night. There were a lot of builders there and I won't say some were dissappointed as that can connotate some sort of entitlement, but several of them really wanted a ride in a canard. While I have given 10 times the number of rides that I received I hadn't really thought about what a motivator it is to the builders to get a ride and fly a little. I couldn't give a ride on Saturday evening when the organizers tried to match up pilots and people who wanted rides (let's just say 8 hours had not gone by).

Next year, however, I will make a concerted effort to give rides to those who are interested and especially those who are building. After all, builders and dreamers are the next generation of canard aviators and they are making quite an effort to get to RR. It isn't exactly easy to get there through normal commercial routes and I think that their mere presence shows that they are dedicated people and serious about the planes.

By the way, I am not a member of the Cozy email group (or groups), but if someone wants to forward it on, they are welcome.

Doug Bryan

Long EZ 439 DM

Dallas, TX

Rides are available to those that ask (nicely), but it does take some time. Don't expect to get a ride from someone by just walking up to them and asking, "Can I have a ride?" Introduce yourself to several flyers, ask genuine questions about the process, get a sense if they might be willing, and then just ask them for whether they have any ideas on how to get a ride.

There is no Cozy factory, so keep in mind that this is all volunteer-type sharing.

Good luck!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Great points Jon... I would add that the rider give a monetary donation to offset the fuel and oil expenses. It is not a violation of FAR since it's not a fee-for-ride if it's given in the spirit of donation.

Remi Khu

Cozy Mk IV

Plan #1336

• 3 years later...

Well I am the kinda man that does not like to impose or bug somebody for somthing but I would lick the sweat off a bulls nut sack to catch a short hop in a long-ez and a cozy to get the feel for the one that feels right for me.Now that is a very interested man in these wonderful planes-or should I just wear a t-shirt that say's I drove over a 1000 miles to see this sexy planes because I will be doing just that.Maybe that will get me a hop in both planes-because I don't have enough connections yet to do so.Even if I don't ask for a ride are no one offers I will be very happy just to see them and get names and #s of other builders and pilots to help with any problems should any come up.Anyway my drive will be worth every mile I drive.Thanks (KOOL RAY)southwest texas builder.

i was waving 20's around and only got 4 rides :cool:

nobody needed the money, but it sure got me in the planes

hope you like upside down and fast turns est.

i think chris will be brakeing mock this year

he gr8 for rides

so is steve W

and jon and bill.....there are lots of cool foks willing and able

early is good, easy in and back

no joy on sunday

hit up the kitten for a ride (john)

but stay right above the field so you can glide back....:envy:

Steve M. Parkins

If they say they don't want the money, leave it in the plane after the ride. It will be appreciated.

IMHO, It's just the right thing to do.

"I run with scissors."

Cozy MKIV N85TT

Phase One Testing

http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip

If they say they don't want the money, leave it in the plane after the ride. It will be appreciated.

IMHO, It's just the right thing to do.

thats what i was planing to do, but i got the feeling that they would be insulted. the wording was some thing like "most infaticly no thank you"

just pay it forward....are turn at bat

Steve M. Parkins

I agree w/Steve 100% and I will!! I mean for goodness its just a short ride in plane and they will always remember your name and say good things about you unless u r a bad pilot- I would be very happy giving rides to people let them share the wonderful time in somthing u built (just my thoughts);)

thats what i was planing to do, but i got the feeling that they would be insulted. the wording was some thing like "most infaticly no thank you"

just pay it forward....are turn at bat

These things are expensive to keep. I know of pilots attending RR on a shoestring (Like... uh...me.). IMO, anyone insulted by sharing expenses, has just too much ego. Pay it forward is a nice idea, but Fair is Fair.

For the record: If I ever get the chance to give rides, feel free to kick in for gas.:)

"I run with scissors."

Cozy MKIV N85TT

Phase One Testing

http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip

Pay it forward hmmmmmmmmm ...... :rolleyes:

There's a guy in our EAA Chapter that has a P-51 (Gunfighter) ....... I wonder if I could sell this Idea to him for a quick ride.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

:

I have no ego and take your muney just so you know! :D Wave twenty's at me and I'll be real nice to yah! It's only going to apply to airplane rides though....:confused:

The only pay it forward I saw in the warbird guys was that they would give rides to the Hooters girls at the airshows. The rest of us shleps can cough up some caysh!