Canopy Mods

GregL

I've been reading about suggested changes in the canopy and mostly about hinge locations. But, I wondered about mods to the shape of the bottom edge to lower the visual area. What prompted this notion was a picture I found online of a Cozy III. It can be found on hopefully:

http://www.ukskies.co.uk./C/pages/Christensen

This builder modified the canopy and turtleback to increase the view for front and back passengers. Are there structural weakness considerations to this mod? Christensen's plane is obviously flying so he may have not faced such a problem. Other factors are custom built canopy ($$$) and additional complexity of the plans.

Any opinions?

GregL

Cozy IV Plans #1161

I think I read somewhere that the airplane was another original design based on a Long-EZ. I don't believe he had any association with Nat & the Cozy III. But then again that all seems very foggy and I don't remember where I read that.

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

Speaking of canopy mods.... To those of you who have ever been in the back seat of a cozy, have you ever wished for a skylight (ie. a plexiglass window on the roof)? All of the pictures I've seen have made it seem pretty dark an claustrophobic back there.

Rui Lopes

Cozy MkIV S/N: 1121

The other thread Doug was musing over

"This plane is not really plans or kit build. Kai Christensen also made the design.This is his third homebuilt."

It looks lovely and really updates the look. don't know if it would work on a Mark IV...

I've also wondered about a skylight, or at least BIGGER windows in the rear. How claustrophobic is it back there?

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

I've also wondered about a skylight, or at least BIGGER windows in the rear. How claustrophobic is it back there?

The comments I've had from people sitting in the back is that they'd like it if the rear window sets came down LOWER than they do now - a few inches. It seems as though it's difficult to see the ground over the lower rim of the windows. 2" would make a big difference, I think.

A skylight would only let you look straight up, which isn't very interesting unless you've got the rear seater watching for falling Space Shuttle parts. It's not dark back there - just small.

• 2 weeks later...

I have some plans for over center type latches for the canopy. I think I will try these. By over center I mean they will stay latched once pulled all the way. Has anyone else tried or seen these? I got the drawings from some one in Europe.

Long Ez, AeroCanard

It sounds like you have plans from Uli Wolter, who took over the design of the Cosy Classic in Europe.

Carl Denk built one of these and has a nice forward opening canopy. I saw a couple examples at Sun-n-Fun and they look quite good -- so good that I am seriously considering to include with my Cozy.

I'll post some pictures next chance I get.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV