canopy hinge

dust

Thanks for this useful information Jon!

I guess we need to determine what modifications, if any, we need to make to prepare for this front opening idea. Perhaps we can just Follow The Plans up to the Canopy Ch. (18?) and then spend a bunch of extra hours with the mod. (which it seems many builders would include if doing it all over again).

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

The Italian guy's canopy in the link looked MUCH to big and heavy to me to be practical. My plan is to have a gull wing hatch on the port side only for rear seat access. I think this will be adequate since at least 90% of the time the rear seat will be occupied by luggage only. My first notion was to have the flange that the rear edge of the canopy rests on continue on the hatch do that the canopy closes over this flange on the rear hatch and prevents it from opening when the canopy is closed. That way I could have more "nominal" latches on the rear hatch without compromising safety. The downside would be possibly compromised rollover structure if there is no permanent roll bar between the seats.

...Destiny's Plaything...

After e-mailing Carl Denk, I understand instructions for applying Uli's Cosy Classic chapter #18 plans to the Cozy MKIV to be as follows:

Use the MKIV canopy/turtleback, just deleting Nat's hinges, and adding the front hinges, hard points, inside structure and latches, etc. which then will fit the cowling. Otherwise you will need to make your own cowling, and if you're going to that, thats a whole new subject to talk about.

Perhaps there's very little to do in order to get things working (without a separated/gull back seat door).

Also seems straightforward enough to me to marry up with a rollover structure and separate back seat canopy section. I might even set the back seat to use a regular piano hinge, as I agree w/Jim that there wouldn't be back seat passengers most of the time.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Jon,Lookiing at the link you included ,Here's an example: www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/waynehicks/wilson.htm

In the picture, the arragment looks good to go.

It looks to me the front of the Canopy is Squared off, and the back door entry looks fine.

I agree with you that most of time there will be no rear passengers, so when There are tow rear passengers, they can quite easily gauin raer access, through the One side........

This whole arrangement (forward opening canopy), is for giving easy access to the Front seat.That is the only reason I was trying to find a way to do this.

I'll know more once I get Uli's plans.

Joseph@TheNativeSpirit.Net

I am Building a Jo-Z IV StarShip.

What Do YOU Want?

• 7 months later...

Attached is a picture of Kai Christensen's Opus-3 -- a one-off Cozy III derivative. It has a unique forward-opening canopy and modified longerons.

The amazing thing is that, by chance, I met a fellow at Rough River 2004 that is considering the same modification. Check back w/me in a year or two on this. ;)

The picture is copyright© 2000 David S. Joelsen.

post-386-1410901528_thumb.jpg

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Is lovely aircraft. I'm really not into modifications, not convinced I'm smart enuf, but that is something to make you think. :confused::confused:

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane