Cozy video

mlefebvre

Has anyone attempted to put a video together on constructing the COZY? I saw a mention of it on the cozy website but no update on it. Any news or information on that?

On a related point, do you guys recomend any of the videos out there on composite homebuilt airplan construction? Thanks!

Marc

Tis far easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

Rutan Aircraft Factory produced a video on composite construction techniques. They address all the construction techniques presented in Chapter 3. It's a must-see video for first time builders. You can probably still order the VHS tape driectly from RAF, maybe from Aircraft Spruce?

AeroCad made a series of construction videos for the AeroCanard. These techniques are directly applicable to the Cozy build process too.

You could sign up for one of the Ron Alexander classes (I forget the real name) that are advertised in the Sport Aviation magazine. These classes are a bit pricey in my opinion. But you will receive hands-on instruction and you will be three steps ahead of the game by the end of the day.

I'm assuming you know you can find all the "generic" composite construction books and stuff offered by the catalogs...

And by all means, find someone in your area building a canard plane and offer your services. Nothing beats a book or video than touching/feeling/doing the real thing.

A word of warning, the building is addictive!

...Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

Ron Alexanders classes are called SportAir Workshops. They have a VERY close association with EAA. I think EAA actually runs them now. I have been the last two years when they come to Dallas. They are a little pricey IMO, but well done.

I went to the composite class two years ago, and it gave me a huge boost of confidence. As a matter of fact, until my EAA progress check by Gary Hunter in February, this class made me the local expert checking my work (so happy Gary thought it was ok too <g>).

Velocity supplies a complete set of construction videos. They are extremly low in production value, but VERY useful on general technique......espcially as I watch them again after I have done something.

FWIW.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

I bought the Rutan video from Wicks prior to starting the build. Dust and I both watched it several times before we started. Its made in the 70's and does not have any glitz in it, but Burt and Mike do an excellent job in explaining and demonstrating the techniques involved in moldless composite construction. They also demonstrate the weight/strength advantage composites have over traditional aluminum construction. Watch the video and do the practice educational chapter in the plans, and you will be confident you can do this. By all means, if someone is building near you, spend a day working with the builder to get some hands on experience. There is no need to put out the money to attend a composite workshop though, unless you REALLY want to. A/S sells a composite practice kit for about $60.00.

Dave Clifford

"The Metal Man" Musketeer

Vise grip hands and Micrometer eyes!!

Cozy MKIV Plans #656

If you're goning to buy a video. Do send Nat $20 for the video he put together. It has about 30 minutes on the cozy. It appears that he was interview by a local news someplace. He talks about all the basic of the cozy and canard designs.

Now the cool part.

He included the Rutan video on the end of the tape. SWEET!!!

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

I have a copy of the video, fell behind my entertainment center years ago, with burts video and nats interview. That combination was short lived as nat found out that someone else owned the rights to the platform shoes rutan construction video.

Enjoy the build

Mike

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I had gotten the video this past summer and it still had Rutan's layup demo included. So, not sure why Burt's platform shoes would necessitate it's removal. In fact I didn't even notice that they were platform until "Dust" mentioned it. The addition of Burt's demo made the video worth $20. It's a good buy. You can buy a demo kit from Wicks or Spruce to practice the technique, but the tape was so good that you might as well do on an actually Cozy part. Someone else suggested this as well. Email or call Nat to find out if it's still on his video.

GregL

Cozy IV Plans #1161

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe because I do fiberglass for a living, (on boats) moldless lay-up doesn't scare me. The way its done in the boat shop of course uses molds, but moldless construction is just the reverse of what i do every day.

Because I work with fiberglass, it was a big factor in which plane I wanted to build. Glass is just too easy not to use it for everthing from boats to planes to toolboxes, LOL.

Steve

TANSTAAFL

Steve,

Since you work with this everyday, a question pop in my mind. The moldless construction we're used to seems to be fairly time consuming in the finishing process. Is this true for the other things you've worked on and does using a mold affect this.

Thanks

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...