#21 TMann

TMann

Got Foam?

• Verified Members
  • 1,714 posts
  • Thomas Mann
  • Omaha, NE

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:56 AM

I have an old sticky stuff dispenser that I need to convert to MGS epoxy ratio, but also have pumps and a scale to get me by until I can get the right ratio. If anybody has done this with a non adjustable pump I would greatly appreciate any help or photos of the conversion other wise It will be trial and error and it usually takes longer that way. Thanks again for all the great ideas and help.

I have two of the Michael's pumps. One for Slow MGS, the other for Fast.

One of the pumps was the older style.

I bought the parts required from Michael's to convert the old pump to the adjustable configuration.

Problem solved.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18
Velocity/RG N951TM
Mann's Airplane Factory
We add rocket's to everything!
4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

#22 flyingclay

flyingclay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Les Laidlaw
  • Mankato MN

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:37 PM

I have got both of my pumps working after calling Michaels and getting parts. I got the problems worked out and they are working great. It finally warmed up here in MN and I have finished glassing the bulkheads except for the reinforcements on the IP. I have assembled the fuselage sides and laid the first two layers of glass and tomorrow I will install the longerons and finish with the wiring and other wood parts on the rear. I got my Dritz scissors and they are worth every cent. It is fun seeing it come together. I have to get as much done now as I can because I am going to be away for the month of June. I am trying to find Atkinson Fuel Site Guages, if anybody know of how to get these that info would be greatly appreciated. I appreciate everybody that have images of their builds and info. This has made the project go much faster and anything that I am unsure of in the plans the FAQ and web pages clarifies for me.

Thanks again for all the great help.

#23 Andrew Anunson

Andrew Anunson

Chapter 21

• Verified Members
  • 341 posts
  • Andrew Anunson
  • Wise, VA

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:40 AM

. I am trying to find Atkinson Fuel Site Guages, if anybody know of how to get these that info would be greatly appreciated.

We purchase them from Vance Atkinson.  Are you on the canard-aviators email list or the Cozy Builders email list (if not, you should consider joining them...very educational).  He posts to those lists quite often, and his contact information is often with his emails.  I will PM his contact information to you.

You are making great strides with your project!!!   I think you will be one of the few that gets to fly in a plane that you built with your own hands.... keep up the good the work!!

Andrew Anunson
I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

#24 flyingclay

flyingclay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Les Laidlaw
  • Mankato MN

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:54 PM

Andrew,

Thanks for the info for Vance, I just got back from the airport and will call him tomorrow. I just finished the fuselage sides. I pulled one side out of the form and epoxy had leaked through the seam of two pieces of foam and glued itself to the masonite. It took a 3" chunk of blue foam off the side of my fuselage. I repaired it with more foam and micro and will sand it smooth tomorrow. I will be able to pull the other side tomorrow and start on the fitting it together. Looking forward to having it all one piece and starting to look like something besides a bunch of flat  parts. Thanks again for all of the encouragement. 

#25 flyingclay

flyingclay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Les Laidlaw
  • Mankato MN

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:18 PM

I now have the fuselage floxed together. Tomorrow I will apply the tapes to the bulkheads and sides. I did it upside down on my table and used a laser level and the smart tool level to make sure it is all plumb. I used the nail technique in the plans to realign the seatback and the IP when I reattached it for the final time. I also cut out the seat support and heat vent with I will also glass tomorrow. Once the tapes are cured I will move the fuselage and make the bottom and get it attached as soon as possible. It is fun to see it come together and I am enjoying the build. I have spent some 12 hour days and some 6 hour days depending on what I can get done. I ordered my Vance site gauges and 5 more gallons of epoxy. I wish I was more adept at gauging how much to use but I am getting better. I probably  removed as much flox as I applied to adhere the sides but I would rather have too much than have to mix a second batch. One more thing I learned is to read ahead before starting on something, it will have you do different things than what you have already done.

#26 Kent Ashton

Kent Ashton

• Verified Members
  • 552 posts
  • Kent Ashton
  • Concord, NC

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:28 AM

You're smoking!

With installing the fuel sight gauges, it is a good time to epoxy an LED with a pigtail that can be wired later for a fuel light.  I just dremel a small inverted "U" in the clear part of the site gauge and embed an LED aimed upward. It just needs to shine into the edge of the gauge to work.  Polish the edges of the "U".  Mark the leads so you will get the polarity correct later.  Any old white or red LED will do.  You could do it later but a good time is after the clear guage has been glued on but before the BID surround is added.  I love LEDs.  Low power, no heat, last forever.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-650 hrs, Long-EZ-55 hrs

#27 flyingclay

flyingclay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Les Laidlaw
  • Mankato MN

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:03 PM

Kent,

Great idea, I will incorporate this for sure. I just finished taping the seat and bulkheads and the four plies for the canard. I have glassed the inside of the seat support. It looks like a bottomless boat and I am excited to get it covered on the outside. 

#28 Andrew Anunson

Andrew Anunson

Chapter 21

• Verified Members
  • 341 posts
  • Andrew Anunson
  • Wise, VA

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:54 AM

I won't be installing my sight gauges until I am finishing off the inside of the project.  I did have them "In-hand", since I needed the dimensions for making certain they'd fit in my fuselage sides.

Andrew Anunson

#29 Jon Matcho

Jon Matcho

Canard Zone Developer

• Verified Members
  • 2,390 posts
  • Jon Matcho
  • Martinsville, NJ

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:36 PM

Andrew, I had the same thoughts for mine and did not put in the sight gauges or follow the plans to make the indentations.  The insides glassed much more easily (without that weave-warping indent) and I figure I can retrofit later. 

Jon Matcho :busy:
Canard Zone Developer & Builder
Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Building Cozy Mark VI+ (widened rear)
www.canardzone.com/members/JonMatcho (I know, it's broken... for now)

#30 flyingclay

flyingclay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Les Laidlaw
  • Mankato MN

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:28 PM

I am also planning on using cozy girl strakes and did not put the indention for the control stick or the indent for the fuel site gauge. I am also wondering about the fuel selector switch, and I am thinking of installing it in front of the throttle quadrant. It would be a visual reminder as well as easier to see. Does anyone have thoughts on this and what selector to buy to go this route. I have not made the bracket for the original installation of the selector and was wondering if I should put the wood reinforcement in the seat support or leave it out if I am not using the plans fuel selector.

#31 Kent Ashton

Kent Ashton

• Verified Members
  • 552 posts
  • Kent Ashton
  • Concord, NC

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:17 AM

Lots of people have moved the fuel valve.  Google Images for 'cozy Andair fuel valve' and you'll see a couple.  Google images does not capture all the builder site photos;  you'll find more through Marc's cozybuilders.org builder page.  Wayne Hicks is one I can think of offhand.  The Cozy group archives will also bring up discussions.  Try searching 'Andair fuel valve move'

Yeah, you could leave out the wood if you want to do that.

Think about where you want to put your O2 bottle and make provision for that.  It's nice to be able to get to the valve in flight.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-650 hrs, Long-EZ-55 hrs

#32 Andrew Anunson

Andrew Anunson

Chapter 21

• Verified Members
  • 341 posts
  • Andrew Anunson
  • Wise, VA

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:44 AM

I am also wondering about the fuel selector switch, and I am thinking of installing it in front of the throttle quadrant. It would be a visual reminder as well as easier to see.

http://www.cozy.simp...om/Ch17_03.html

Bernie has documented his installation well (and YES, get valve he lists... its the best fit).  Vans Aircraft has this valve and the best price.

Andrew Anunson

#33 Andrew Anunson

Andrew Anunson

Chapter 21

• Verified Members
  • 341 posts
  • Andrew Anunson
  • Wise, VA

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:50 AM

Andrew, I had the same thoughts for mine and did not put in the sight gauges or follow the plans to make the indentations.  The insides glassed much more easily (without that weave-warping indent) and I figure I can retrofit later. 

Huh?  Not sure we did the same thing here...I did make the indentations for Vance's site gauges.  This would be much more difficult later on... see my attached photo from 10 yrs ago...

Attached Thumbnails

• resize.JPG
  • resize.JPG

Edited by Andrew Anunson, 19 May 2017 - 08:54 AM.

Andrew Anunson

#34 Marc Zeitlin

Marc Zeitlin

Flying Cozy MKIV N83MZ

• Verified Members
  • 964 posts
  • Marc J. Zeitlin
  • Tehachapi, CA 93561

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:27 AM

http://www.cozy.simp...om/Ch17_03.html

Bernie has documented his installation well (and YES, get valve he lists... its the best fit).  Vans Aircraft has this valve and the best price.

Be very careful in choosing a fuel valve and location. You're early in the build, and EFI will be far more common and likely by the time you're ready for an engine (See SDS EFII). Most EFI systems will require a return flow and a 6 port valve, if you want to do it right with two tanks.

Edited by Marc Zeitlin, 19 May 2017 - 11:27 AM.

#35 Andrew Anunson

Andrew Anunson

Chapter 21

• Verified Members
  • 341 posts
  • Andrew Anunson
  • Wise, VA

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:31 PM

Be very careful in choosing a fuel valve and location. You're early in the build, and EFI will be far more common and likely by the time you're ready for an engine (See SDS EFII). Most EFI systems will require a return flow and a 6 port valve, if you want to do it right with two tanks.

Yeap, you'll need a 6 port valve if you want EFI... I didn't think of that in my response.

It might be best to install one of those back near the firewall and control it remotely because I don't think it and its plumbing will fit up front.  

Reasons I decided against EFI...

a.) a 6 port valve like Marc mentions is required, and I couldn't figure out how to get a 6 port valve mounted up front in the center console

b.) Other than auto mixture control, I found no proven advantages of EFI over FI.  Marc and others have demonstrated that a mechanical FI and electronic ignition combination is very effective at saving fuel, and so far EFI has not been beating the mechanical systems if efficiency.

Now, if you believe that we'll be facing emissions testing in the future, EFI could be a part of a emissions reduction.

What I learn from Marc's post is that we should see the entire fuel system when selecting a fuel valve.  Of all the systems we can use (carburetor, throttle body, fuel injection, and electronic fuel injection), only EFI requires the duplex valve.

Andrew Anunson

#36 Marc Zeitlin

Marc Zeitlin

Flying Cozy MKIV N83MZ

• Verified Members
  • 964 posts
  • Marc J. Zeitlin
  • Tehachapi, CA 93561

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:59 PM

Marc and others have demonstrated that a mechanical FI and electronic ignition combination is very effective at saving fuel, and so far EFI has not been beating the mechanical systems if efficiency.

If I were building an airplane today, I'd use the SDS EFI/EI system. It WILL allow for better leaning, as you can individually trim each cylinder for maximum efficiency. It is also simpler than Mechanical FI and more reliable. If I didn't already have $$6,500 invested in my FI/EI systems, I'd go with SDS.

What I learn from Marc's post is that we should see the entire fuel system when selecting a fuel valve.  Of all the systems we can use (carburetor, throttle body, fuel injection, and electronic fuel injection), only EFI requires the duplex valve.

But since it's the best available system and costs no more than a Mech. EFI and dual EI system, it's definitely worth considering.

#37 flyingclay

flyingclay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Les Laidlaw
  • Mankato MN

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:12 AM

Thanks for all of the input. I am wondering if I should put the fuel selector in the plans position or not? I am at the stage that I will be installing the seat back support and the plans have you make the fuel selector valve mounting point and I would like to have it in a more visible location and would not want to spend the extra time to fabricate the mounting bracket and install the wood reinforcement and cut outs for the plans valve. Can I just leave it out and worry about it at a later date or will this come to bite me later? Will the SDS EFI fuel selector fit in the seat back? Is there a diagram for the plumbing of the SDS EFI system? Will I be able to retrofit this system if I leave it out at this point? Again thanks for all of the feedback and help.

#38 Andrew Anunson

Andrew Anunson

Chapter 21

• Verified Members
  • 341 posts
  • Andrew Anunson
  • Wise, VA

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:43 AM

I am wondering if I should put the fuel selector in the plans position or not?

Only you can decide if you want to deviate from the plans or not.  Nat would tell you to put the plans valve in the plans location.  I think I'll like my Andair valve better up front, but most Cozy's are built with the valve in the plans location and it is OK.  

Can I just leave it out and worry about it at a later date or will this come to bite me later? 

Build it like the plans show until you come up with a new plan.  You can't skip portions of the build if you don't have a really good, thought out, new plan.  So yeah, for now, just build it like the plans show.  It'll teach you to bend aluminum, use rivets and nutplates.  My bracket is in there too... even though my valve is up front.

If you KNOW that you won't install a valve in the seatback... then you can skip the bracket.  

Will the SDS EFI fuel selector fit in the seat back? Is there a diagram for the plumbing of the SDS EFI system? Will I be able to retrofit this system if I leave it out at this point? Again thanks for all of the feedback and help.

The SDS EFI fuel selector is a 6 port valve which switches both the tank your fuel comes from, and where the fuel is returned to.  Go to the Andair website and check out the FS2020 duplex valve.  This is what you'll be using (or something like it).

Will it fit the seatback?  Sure, one way or another you can fit it there.  It won't fit the plans bracket, but you can retrofit it later.

I haven't seen any photos posted of one of these duplex valves installed in an EZ or a Cozy.  There are likely some installations, but they haven't been shared with the community.  Marc works on a lot of these planes, perhaps he can share photos of a duplex valve installed in the center console or in the seat back?

Andrew Anunson

#39 Marc Zeitlin

Marc Zeitlin

Flying Cozy MKIV N83MZ

• Verified Members
  • 964 posts
  • Marc J. Zeitlin
  • Tehachapi, CA 93561

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:06 PM

The SDS EFI fuel selector is a 6 port valve which switches both the tank your fuel comes from, and where the fuel is returned to.  Go to the Andair website and check out the FS2020 duplex valve.  This is what you'll be using (or something like it).

Maybe. That's one option. Another is to use a single sump system and a single on-off valve, with a return line only to the sump. Far simpler. Not necessarily recommending it, because it'll involve modifying the vent lines, installing a sump, and other mods too. But the 6-port Andair (not SDS) valve is hardly the only solution. We've had all these discussions about a zillion times on the COZY and Canard-Aviators mailing lists. There are MANY options for valve type mounting and control.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Stats