Flat paint

Ratdog

Im thinking of ideas for painting my long eze project.  Since these are not made in molds they have a lot of imperfections that can be fixed with sanding and filling but the penalty for that is weight.   I know that on a house using flat paint covers a multitude of sins making it look better without having to fill every imperfection.  What is the wisdom about painting a long eze with flat paint for the final coat.  Anyone have examples of this . 

No flat paint.  It would get dirty and be hell to clean.  Use epoxy-based primers and 2-component urethane topcoats--PPG, Axalta, etc.  There is lots written here about filling and getting a smooth paintable finish.  Use the search function.

The weight of filler is not substantial.  I don't recall anyone measuring before/after weight because it's useful to fill-as-you-go and use leftover epoxy to fill.  It is probably the epoxy used in the mix that contributes to the weight, though.  I use West Microlight filler--easier to sand--but microballoons on the leading edges.  Micro is harder and resists bugs.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

3 hours ago, Ratdog said:

...a lot of imperfections that can be fixed with sanding and filling but the penalty for that is weight.

52 minutes ago, Kent Ashton said:

I use West Microlight filler--easier to sand--but microballoons on the leading edges.  Micro is harder and resists bugs.

The West 410 Microlight filler mixed in with a West 105/209 epoxy is a joy to sand! That and some good sanding tools/pads would make quick work.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV