Racing my Long-EZ

Papa November

Hello all,

I intend to enter sport class pylon racing next year with my long EZ F-PZPN. She is totally by the plans with a O-235 engine. With light speed dual ignition, spinner and wheel pants, hertzler prop on a long extension, she gives me almost 180 kts IAS at SL with full throttle. At that speed, the engine runs right at redline (2800 rpm). However, given the competition (vans, lancairs,…) , I feel I will have to do some more preparation if I want to stay in the race.

The first idea that springs to mind is a bigger engine, of course. A O-320 would be the immediate choice, as It fits on the existing mount. I need to find one of these.

beside from that, any idea from people who have been here before, even small mods that will give a small gain in drag?

Of course, going faster would need to expand VNE, and thus recalcule VD and test fly the aircraft… Is there someone who could provide the profiles used for the wing and canard (or even best, the Cl/Cd curves)?

thanks for your input, and all the best…

I imagine there are aircraft salvage yards in Europe.  Here in the states, Wentworth handles a lot of salvage engines.  Make sure you know the model numbers and know what you're buying.  You will need a new prop, too.

As for mods, a carbed O-320 can be converted to fuel injection pretty easily.  I just saw a discussion of this on the VansAirForce site.  Streamling the struts is a good mod.  Also use smaller wheels and pants.   A smaller canopy.  Seal the cockpit well so air is not leaking in and out except where you want it.  See what Gary Hertzler did to reduce the builk of his cowl  https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/45834-varieze-plans/?do=findComment&comment=79848   Very good, tight cooling will help

any idea from people who have been here before, even small mods that will give a small gain in drag?

Ah, you want a gain in drag!  Forget what I said.   🙂

Edited by Kent Ashton
  • Like 1

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Oops, lost in translation… you understood me. Thanx for those tips! As for the engine, I definitely plan to open it and do some crankshaft and piston/rod balancing before flying it.

I see most newly build Long EZ do not feature the lower winglet. Has anyone tried removing them from a flying airplane?

Edited by Papa November
  • Like 1

• Jon Matcho changed the title to Racing my Long-EZ
4 hours ago, Papa November said:

I definitely plan to open it and do some crankshaft and piston/rod balancing before flying it.   I see most newly build Long EZ do not feature the lower winglet. Has anyone tried removing them from a flying airplane?

I am not an engine expert but it seems to me that these are big old heavy slow-turning (relatively) engines that would not profit much by porting and balancing.  People do polish the ports and balancing cannot hurt but I doubt it makes much difference.  As they say:  "nothing beats cubic inches".  Electronic ignition will give you a few HP.  It seems that very careful drag reduction is where the money is.

Removing the lower winglets would be pretty easy.  AFAICT, it does reduce drag a little bit but the stall characteristics are a not as nice.  I removed some upper winglets once.  The lower winglet would be a piece of cake. This page:    https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/18661-kents-long-ez-project/page/3/

What I question is if the EZ is the best design for winning races?  I don't know.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Wing and canard polars are something like this.

These are for solid 2D shapes - no separate elevator or slot.

Rutan_Polars.thumb.jpg.8086d3d92a46880af9f738edd5b1282f.jpg

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)