Engine question

Mike75

I am considering the purchase of a Varieze sans engine.  It used to have a C85.  I understand other models use O-200B (pusher).  I gather other variants of the O-200 (e.g. A or D) cannot be used, because they are "puller" type engines rather than pusher.  

Problem is, O-200B is not easy to find.

I am wondering why the puller type engines can't be used, just turn the prop around.  Simple.  Maybe too simple?  Maybe someone can educate me on this, thanks.

Edited by Mike75
found error

Logic based around words/phrases such as, "rare and expensive", "don't believe", and "lower", seems problematic.  (would not pass a design review at my engineering company)

Don't "assume" for aviation or explosives.

However, tens of thousands of trouble free flight hour from engine configuration X should be a strong argument.  

A good way to find info on questions like this to Google search with the word "forum" in the search, as in "forum varieze engine options".  It will bring up various forum discussions you will not find with just "varieze engine options".  The electronic Canard Pushers are online an can be searched with a word search.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

2 hours ago, Mike75 said:

I think this POH was written by Burt Rutan himself, so I'm guessing he's an authority?  

A better question might be this:  Are there any Varieze owners out there that use O-200A?

Yes, I have one with over 600 hours.  I think you will find a large % of VariEze's were O-200A.

3 hours ago, Mike75 said:

I think this POH was written by Burt Rutan himself, so I'm guessing he's an authority?  

A better question might be this:  Are there any Varieze owners out there that use O-200A?

Only just about 95% of the Variezes there. You don't need a special engine.