Need info to buy legit DragonFly plans

Miken

Hi, 

Does anyone know where to get legit Dragonfly plans? would love to buy them.

Have purchased Q1 plans from QuickHeads, but more interested in Dragonfly, since it is more controllable than Q1/Q200.

Thanks

16 hours ago, Miken said:

Does anyone know where to get legit Dragonfly plans? would love to buy them.

They are no longer available. You would have to find a pre-owned.

16 hours ago, Miken said:

Have purchased Q1 plans from QuickHeads, but more interested in Dragonfly, since it is more controllable than Q1/Q200.

That's a broad statement that's most likely coming from the tail-dragger configuration of the Q1 and Q2/200s. I have flown a Tri-Q200 and was remarkably similar to flying an EZ -- VERY controllable. Yes, the wheels outboard at the wingtips have large moments and ask for a ground loop, but those that have them manage quite fine.

Your impression must be related to the Dragonflys typically having gear that is more inboard than the Qs. You can also consider the tricycle configuration of the Tri-Qs.

14 hours ago, TDubs74 said:

You could try emailing Viking Aircraft and see what they say.

I don't believe that's the same aircraft company that once held the Dragonfly plans. I could be wrong.

11 hours ago, Countach74 said:

Believe the rights to the Dragonfly were purchased by Dart Industries in South Africa many years ago. 

They were, and then Dart seemingly disappeared.

I too would like to get a copy of Dragonfly plans.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Hi Jon, so what is the work-around to get Dragonfly plans?

Tried calling Dart Industries, Telephone: +27 82 5647765, this is their contact number as per EAA, but no success.

Since Dragonfly is orphaned , why don't we have a strong community with pre-owned plans, like you have the plans here for Q and Q200?

And since you are planning to start next with Cozy MK IV, the plans are brought by AircraftSpruce and have a very strong community around it, for me as a starter Cozy would be too complex.

4 hours ago, Jon Matcho said:

That's a broad statement that's most likely coming from the tail-dragger configuration of the Q1 and Q2/200s. I have flown a Tri-Q200 and was remarkably similar to flying an EZ -- VERY controllable. Yes, the wheels outboard at the wingtips have large moments and ask for a ground loop, but those that have them manage quite fine.

I concede to your point, I may have prejudged with my readings about Q200, but don't they land at quite higher speeds?

Material list is missing from my Single seat quickie plans which I purchased, but since I was only studying the plans for understanding of canard designs,  it was no problem.

If I do think to start with Tri-Q as my first project, does the plans here have all info to build one, including material list?

16 hours ago, Countach74 said:

Believe the rights to the Dragonfly were purchased by Dart Industries in South Africa many years ago. 

They aren't responding to either calls or emails, I don't think Dart Industries is there anymore.

@Jon Matcho - So the company which purchased the rights no longer exists, it makes the plans orphaned, right?

34 minutes ago, Countach74 said:

Think I have the plans on my home computer.

I would like to take a look, although I suspect there would be full-size drawings that may not be included in what you have.

22 minutes ago, Miken said:

Hi Jon, so what is the work-around to get Dragonfly plans?

Only way I know is to solicit to buy someone's used plans, or eBay.

Since Dragonfly is orphaned , why don't we have a strong community with pre-owned plans, like you have the plans here for Q and Q200?

We could try that. You also have Dragonfly information here and on Facebook groups (although FB is a black hole).

...for me as a starter Cozy would be too complex.

Building a Dragonfly is comparable to building a Cozy, at least a Long-EZ. If you think you can build a Dragonfly, I suggest you are able to build a Cozy if you want.

I concede to your point, I may have prejudged with my readings about Q200, but don't they land at quite higher speeds?

The Dragonfly has similar flying qualities to the Q2, but a touch slower. All canards (and tandem wings; Qs and Dragonflys) have higher stall speeds, are faster in general, and require longer runways than conventional aircraft.

Material list is missing from my Single seat quickie plans which I purchased, but since I was only studying the plans for understanding of canard designs,  it was no problem.

If I do think to start with Tri-Q as my first project, does the plans here have all info to build one, including material list?

Yah... that's an issue. I might be able to locate materials lists, but the idea is that you need to develop the materials list as you go through the plans.

17 minutes ago, Miken said:

@Jon Matcho - So the company which purchased the rights no longer exists, it makes the plans orphaned, right?

Maybe.

I would like to create an Open-EZ version of the Dragonfly plans, but if Dart decided to wake up and do something, the plans would no longer be orphaned.

By my definition, the Cozy Mark IV plans are orphaned. The only real support that's available is through "the community". Aircraft Spruce isn't giving tips or advice on building.

18 hours ago, Miken said:

...don't [Quickies] land at quite higher speeds?

I was mistaken. After some simple digging I do see that Dragonfly aircraft are listed to have lower stall speeds than Quickies and other comparable canards. That's surprising to me, but makes sense with the Dragonfly having a different wing altogether.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_Dragonfly (stall speed shown is 55 MPH)

https://dragonflylist.groups.io/g/main (stall speed shown is 48 MPH)

You can find a copy of the Dragonfly Construction Manual here: 

I'll work on getting a proper set of templates for the airfoils and bulkheads, so until then you cannot build from these plans -- although they are still an interesting read.

On 8/1/2020 at 7:16 PM, Miken said:

I can't seem to download them Jon. 

Ah, thanks. I had to do one last step in the configuration. Navigate to the Downloads section and you should be able to download the Dragonfly Construction Manual now.

On 8/1/2020 at 11:08 PM, Countach74 said:

Look under members gallery. I started downloading them there, but was halted 1/3 the way through do to the size. There is enough reading to get you started. Hope Jon will delete them when the correct file is working.

Thank you for getting this started! I have deleted the image files now that we have a single PDF in the Downloads section.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 4/10/2023 at 7:12 PM, RAS said:

I have an original set of Dragonfly plans that I purchased many years ago from Viking.  Will sell.

I would be interested. I my have found my grandfather's Dragonfly (mk1 later converted to a mk2 after the third bounce). Assuming I can get it, and it's not a complete wreck, an original set of planes would be useful towards maybe restoring it or maybe even cloning it if it's too far gone.

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2021 at 8:53 AM, Bugstrider said:

I have a set of Dragonfly plans, Serial #2 according to the paperwork I have.  The plane was never built.

Cheers

Hey. I have been looking for these plans if you could consider selling to me..