Hello all.  I'm in the process of building a Long EZ here in S Florida.  Wings have been completed and moving on to the Canard and Main Spar.  It turns out, Aircraft Spruce stopped selling the 3" UNI tape I had used for the wing spar caps.  After many, many calls and frustration, it seems that they have no plans to re-stock this tape and have replaced it with another version.  AS won't put me in touch with the supplier to ask any technical questions and those directed at customer service have been met with a "this new tape seems to be very similar" kind of attitude.  This is not good enough for me.  Wick's seems to still sell the old stuff but it's $4.42/YD.  I previously purchased my 3" tape from AS at $2.45/yd.  After my continued calls, AS finally put out a YouTube video from the supplier but none of my questions were answered in it.  The video focuses on the locking thread.  All I can tell from the videos is that this new product appears to have 35 strands and the older stuff had/has 27 strands.  

1.  Does anyone have information on where this stuff is produced and how I can get a hold of some without the 2x price increase Wick's is charging?

2.  Is there any literature /information about how this new material compares to the older version of tape?

3.  Has anyone used the newer tape as a replacement as if so, what are your thoughts?

New Product in Question: (see video at the bottom of the page)

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/unitape_01-01651.php

I'm not building anything yet but it appears the new supplier is in Australia, with contact info below.  Here's some notes that I've collected on this subject....

Machine was broken.  As of 9/18/2019, Aircraft Spruce is still behind in delivering…..

For supply issues at ACS, ask to speak to Jim Irwin directly and make sure he knows it’s about the spar cap tape machine.

I posted information about a year ago on how and where to order material from Australia. Here's the link to the drop in replacement:

http://www.colan.com.au/compositereinforcement/fibreglass-woven-tape-unidirectional-850gsm-75mm.html which is for 25 oz/sq yd tape

from Marc Zeitlin-

I posted information about a year ago on how and where to order material from Australia. Here's the link to the drop in replacement:

http://www.colan.com.au/compositereinforcement/fibreglass-woven-tape-unidirectional-850gsm-75mm.html

ACS seems to have issues producing it still with the recently repaired machine.   Ask to speak to Jim Irwin directly, and make sure he knows it's about the spar cap tape machine.

from Alex Liedl-

Not a clue what is going on at ACS.  I sent them an email about 2 weeks back expressing my frustration with the fact that i placed the order for 50 yards ~6 months ago and every time i ask for an update i get the usual “we will have stock in 2 weeks” response.  Looks like my note may have paid off.  The email was routed to their customer service manager who said she would go down to the shop and speak with the folks on the floor.  2 days later, the product was shipped to me.  Wonder if they are just squirrels storing all of it away for the winter.  I do see that they still mention no stock on their website.  I don’t know if i trust that given the recent exchange with them.  I should have enough to squeak by with what i have gathered to date between the group, Wicks and ACS but if there are still issues with ACS, I may order an extra role prior to the wings from Colan.

Jan 2020.  Jim Irwin for ACS just replied to my email inquiring about Colan eglass spar tape.  Here is his reply:

“We have some of the new Colan spar cap tape on order now and it is on our website under P/N 01-01651 at $89.00 for a 54 yard roll. We may also be able to make some more of the original 01-08800 tape for stock before we shut down the old machine. This machine dates back almost 100 years and we inherited it from Alexander Aeroplane in Georgia when we acquired them in 1996...it has produced just about all it can!”

The website shows a stock date of March 27.

Resulting Ply Thicknesses:

Ply   Depth Length BL

6      0.15    113

7      0.175  100

8      0.200   94

9      0.225   90

10    0.250   80

11    0.275   74

12    0.300   70

13    0.325   60

14    0.350   54

15    0.375   50

16    0.400   40

17    0.425   34

18    0.450   30

19    0.47   24

Jeff

Yup, lots of talk on the Cozybuilders(?) list recently about the Colan tape.    Spruce is handling it now in lieu of their own tape.    There was confusion about how to remove the crossthread but it is removable if you study it.     FWIW, i think the Cozy builders (google group) are doing more builder talk than the Canard Aviators io.group.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

2 hours ago, NolaDoogie said:

What’s the best way to get some info from the guys in the CozyBuilders group? Do I have to join?

Well, there is a website called Google, see, and you go to Google.com and  type in . . . . oh nevermind.  Here's where you sign up.  🙂 I don't think Marc is too picky about being an actual Cozy builder but if he doesn't sign you up, get on the Canard Aviators group.  They are often the same canard people.

http://www.cozybuilders.org/mail_list/

https://canardzone.groups.io/g/canard-aviators

-Kent

On 5/8/2020 at 3:48 PM, Kent Ashton said:

Well, there is a website called Google, see, and you go to Google.com and  type in . . . . oh nevermind. 

Never underestimate the ability of the internet to turn ordinary adults into condescending ********. 

Edited by Jon Matcho
Violates forum guidelines, last chance.

I guess you missed my smiley face or don’t appreciate that it is an attempt to say something in a joking way.   No matter.  Yes, i was a little snarky but Mr NolaDoogie, when no-name post-ers show up asking to be fed and don’t show the slightest attempt to Google for the information they want, or use the search resources of this massive website, that’s my reaction.

You do not appreciate, either, that i made the effort to find the answer you wanted and post it for you.   I won’t make that mistake again.   Have a nice life.

• Like 2

-Kent

Oh I see. It’s ok to talk to adults like a child so long as you put a smiley face at the end. Got it. Second, are you going to suggest I need to make numerous contributions to this forum before being granted the privilege to ask a simple question? Did I break the rules of internet inquires your highness?  You also presume to know what kind of research I’ve done before posting.  How clairvoyant of you. You know damn well what I meant in my question because you answered it point blank by the “probably ok if you’re not a Cozy builder” reply.  What baffles me is what compels another adult to attach backhanded compliments to otherwise civil discourse. Perhaps my reply caught you off guard, but when honest attempts at conversation are met with keyboard tough guy attitudes, well, that’s my reaction. 

“Keyboard Tough Guy”, wow, that really sings to me.   Dibbs on that one.  Alternatively, “Your Highness” sounds pretty good.    I will answer to “a**hole” too.   Momma always called me that.

• Like 1

-Kent

Dustin, welcome to the forum. Please re-read the Rules and Guidelines for the forum, particularly this part:  "1. Civility and Respect. If you cannot be as nice and courteous as one would expect from an in-person conversation with a stranger and their children, then please move along to somewhere else on the Internet; abusive behavior and personal attacks will not be tolerated here. Moderators will delete (not edit) the offending post."

On 5/8/2020 at 3:48 PM, Kent Ashton said:

Well, there is a website called Google, see, and you go to Google.com and  type in . . . . oh nevermind.  Here's where you sign up.  🙂

This is sarcasm.  Your response, which has been redacted, is against this forum's guidelines.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV