Varieze Wing Pins / bushings

Jhughes

Hello All,

I have recently acquired a Varieze, however, it has not flown in a couple years, but has been preserved / maintained adequately. There are a couple draw-backs, however. When the gentleman delivered the aircraft, he stated that he could not locate the wing attach pins, or bushings. I was aware before I purchased the aircraft that he did not have the plans, as he is not the original builder. I have searched fairly thoroughly for information regarding these pins / bushings, but it is my understanding that they are no longer commercially available. Is it possible to at least get the dimensions and required information / 'blueprints'  to have these pins / bushings made locally? I have referenced the FAA website, and have reached out to local Varieze owners, but have not received any replies as of yet.

I also have a question concerning the TERF CDs'. Do these only contain information / newsletters, etc... or do they also contain a copy of the plans? A copy of the plans could be a great asset as I set out to thoroughly inspect the aircraft. If they do not contain the plans, is there any way to attain a copy of the plans? It is my understanding that Mr. Rutan is agreeable to copies being made, correct me if I am wrong. 

I sincerely appreciate any / all feedback, and advice.

Joel Hughes  A&P

Oklahoma City, OK

I have never seen the TERF CD or Varieze plans but folks say that the TERF CD contains the Long-ez plans so I believe it has the Varieze plans but at $295 a pop, I think the seller is gouging.    http://www.dragonaero.com/RAFCDROM.htm

I would find a Varieze owner on the FAA Registry and try to get some copies of the attach hardware plans (assuming they are in the plans).     This question comes up fairly often but not a definitive answer.    The plates look easy to make and a machinist could make the taper pins.    Post a question on the canardaviators list.   https://canardzone.groups.io/g/canard-aviators

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

I have the TERF CD's and they have the full assembly manuals for the VV, VEZ, LEZ, and section 1 for the Solitaire.  They have the Owners manuals for all these plus the Defiant.  There are no plan templates for bulkheads or surface profiles.  They also include the Moldless Composite Aircraft Construction manual, various pictures, and all the CP's.

My VEZ came with a full set of plans and templates from the original builder, but I bought the CD's anyway as they are much easier to access and then just print the page of interest as needed.

1 hour ago, bmckinney10 said:

My VEZ came with a full set of plans and templates from the original builder,

Sure would be nice if you could scan or photograph the plans for the wing attach plates and taper pins and post them.   

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

• 5 months later...

As a former machinist these wing attachments would not be easy to fabricate. The setup would be time consuming and by the time all is said and done I'm guessing you would have $600. - $800. depending on the shop rate and material cost. I'm not saying it can't be done but you might as well make five or six pairs afterwards.

My Varieze 010.JPG

My Varieze 051.JPG

My Varieze 011.JPG

My Varieze 078.JPG

• Like 1