JBL Dragonfly Project

John W

Looking for help in choosing engine and landing gear for Dragonfly.  Just COMPLEETED reading and indexing all 128 issues of Dragonfly newsletters.  Thanks to Pat Panzera for link to the DBFN files.  Also, thanks to Ray Parker for allowing me to visit his flying DF at Butler Co. Airport in Ohio.  Big help.

After many years of barn storage, I now feel I am somewhat more knowledgeable and ready to dive head on into completion.  One thing for sure, the more I learn, the more I realize how much I don’t know. 

My partners and I have decided to go from M-1 to MK-3 because only one of us is proficient with tail dragger.  So, my first question is:  What are you guy’s using for nose gear.  I am aware DB-5 nose gear being used but think it may be a little weak??

Second question:  The Corvair engine was just becoming popular in Dragonfly when last DBFN newsletter was published.  The mod-4 VW engine would be a good choice but thinking the Corvair may start with a more solid build.  Also, is my assumption correct that a six cylinder would run with a little less vibration.  Have any significant issues occurred with the Corvair conversions I need to be aware of?

P.S.  Just now found the “Powerplant” section in forums.  Will be reading as I wait response.  Thanks

There is not much Dragonfly discussion on this site since the 2008-2009  timeframe but maybe you will get lucky.   I see that there is a (yuck!) facebook page with around 350 members https://www.facebook.com/groups/162738144297634/   and this one with 800 or more:  https://dragonflylist.groups.io/g/main

Corvairs have a good bit on online support.  https://www.experimentalaircraft.info/homebuilt-aircraft/corvair-aircraft-engines.php  I was just watching a youtube video of Wynne the other day  filmed by a guy who had taken his Corvair College course.  Also watched one of a guy modifying larger VW cylinders for a Corvair.   That looked pretty easy.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

• 2 weeks later...

Mines got a limbach l2000 eo1. Just a fancy vw that’s certified in Germany. That said get an 80hp something. Most of the vw conversions these days are pretty good. Personally I like the limbach the best and will be at sun n fun finding out if I need to do much work to put Revmaster heads on it. Less valve adjustments...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anthony P.   I Do not have spare front wing.  I am using my original MK-l canard after removing outer gear pants. I am in process of converting to Hoop gear using Dave Divincenzo plans as shown in DBFN issue 43.  Have one BIG QUESTION maybe you or someone can answer.  Dave's glass gear is 4 inches by 5/8 thick across top and ends, and uses layers of 3" wide rolls of "E" glass, .025 thick.  Does he overlap the 3" strips inside the mold by one and one half inch to end up with 4 inch??  If so, I don't believe it will be flat on top due to overlap.  This would make it impossible to mount without patching a flat area where the bolts mount the gear to fuselage.  Or does he cut 3" strips in half, to gain a 4" wide leg?  

• 4 months later...