Newbie Questions

Hey guys I’m Joe. I’m an airline guy up in Canada. I’m getting close to pulling the trigger and buying the Cozy plans from AS&S. I’ve been trying to read and understand as much as I can about the Cozy and the build process. I have a few newbie questions which I hope you guys don’t mind. 

1) Any builders up in Canada?

2) I live in Southern Ontario. Cold snowy winters and hot and humid summers. I’m thinking I’d build smaller components over the winter months in my heated basement and the larger ones in my garage during the summer months? Does that seem feasible? Anyone else here start in their basement?

3) Is building a composite aircraft not really recommended in your house.....with the different chemicals and all? I’ve never used epoxy before. Am I gonna make my wife and kids high when I build? 

4) I don’t know a lot about composites or its temperature properties. It gets very cold in the winter months in Canada. Great aircraft performance but will the extreme cold effect the composite structure of the aircraft if I want to fly it in the cold?

5) Will buying the pre-cut foam cores from a place such as Eureka put a serious dent in the build time? 

That’s about all I can think of for now 
Take care
Joe

That’ll work. I built in my basement.  Building can get pretty messy but the smell and fumes are not very bad.  Yes, the Eureka are a good price, good quality, and will save some time.

Cold wx does not affect these airplanes but i would not fly in ice, heavy rain or nasty IMC. The plans heat system probably needs improving for Canada.  There are some Canadian builders on the Cozybuilders list.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Hi Joe,

Phillip Johnson is in Southern Ontario and has a very nice Cozy.

http://www.canardaviation.com/PhillipJohnson/

I wouldn't expose my wife and kids to the fumes too much, epoxy is toxic and over-exposure can be a problem in some cases. Building in a basement shouldn't be a problem. Perhaps not in the living room next to your kids though. ;) 

I'm building in winter here in New Zealand now, using a bit of electric heat to help things along - it can be done! I have a heat tent big enough for the fuselage tub that I can cure parts in also. A wooden frame that I can hang a tarp over and clip around the edges to contain the heat.

heat-tent.thumb.jpg.2fe0e5a2c21902430cc580afafc8b461.jpg

• Like 1

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)

I am using EZpoxy now, which you can definitely smell as opposed to MGS, and my wife can tell when it gets into other parts of the house from my basement or garage. I have had good success by closing all the doors and using an exhaust fan wherever I am working. The fan makes sure the fumes are going out the window instead of into other parts of your house. If anything, you will be drawing air into your shop from inside the house, which is the direction you want the air to move.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...