Turbo Normalized

I'm looking at a turbo for a 0-360 derivative liquid cooled engine on my Long-EZ build. I'd love to get some input as to how this might be arranged under our cowls, exhaust setup and any issues that will arise.

Has anyone done this successfully in a Long-EZ? I'd love to talk with them if they have. 

Dave

Flying LE VH-JZE and building LE VH-XEZ

www.alongwayroundtheworld.com

Edited by daveb

Dave

VH-JZE

I'm looking at a turbo for a 0-360 derivative liquid cooled engine on my Long-EZ build... Has anyone done this successfully in a Long-EZ? I'd love to talk with them if they have.

So Dick Rutan had a turbo O-360 on his Berkut for a couple of years. It was a nightmare of trying to cram 43 lb. of sh*t in a 3 lb. bag, as well as having 36 lb. of heat from the turbo to dissipate in a 2 lb. heat dissipation bag. There just isn't enough space in an EZ cowl for the turbo, heat shields, and extra exhaust tubing (and still leave enough space to pour a pint of 100LL).  He eventually removed the whole thing for an O-540, and is much happier with the performance and maintainability.

If you're going to have water cooling and a radiator/water hoses, I cannot imagine (on an EZ - MAYBE on a COZY MKIV) where you'd stick a turbo and the associated extra hardware as well (intercooler?), with any access to anything.

My $0.02.

• Like 1

I seriously investigated using a turbocharged engine for a long time. I discussed it with a number of very experienced and knowledgeable builders, and came to (was led to?) the conclusion that simply installing a larger NA engine is simpler, smaller, more reliable, and probably lighter too. And you'll have extra power available at low DAs.

Disclaimer: I haven't installed or flown ANY engine yet, just learning and researching as I go to be well prepared when the time comes. This advice is worth every penny you paid for it.

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)