New Long-EZ model for X-Plane

Done some brief testing. Seems to be decently representative, though I wouldn't consider the flight-model to be particularly precise; It uses NACA 23 series airfoils, control surfaces are not accurately sized, stuff like that.

• Thanks 1

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)

• 1 year later...

Yeah, it looks nice ... however: They asked me to review this package, and I didn't even reply with a critique after flying it. The pilot view-angle is wrong, the flight dynamics/handling are wrong, and the thing is WAY TOO DEMANDING of the PC hardware. The designers have made a nice gaming model ... not a useful tool for real life pilots.

So I am working on that problem: greatly improved Canard Flight Models for the X-Plane flight simulator program.

And "greatly improved" here means the move to 3D/VR. There are compelling reasons to Train using VR immersion. I will be posting a series of articles here regarding this. I'll include a paper written by another pilot on the subject. I am finally making some progress at learning to use Blender and AC3D, Lua and SASL which are required for converting my canard flight models to 3D cockpits and VR control manipulators.

These flight models for VariEze, Long-EZ and Cozy MKIV will be Optimized for Real Life pilots and affordable PC hardware. The goals are X-Plane aircraft for Transition Training, Proficiency, Airport Familiarization and Homebuilt First-Flight Preparation. The benefit from X-Plane that my wife and I had when we each first Soloed in our VariEze is inarguable.

I have recently realized that First-flight potential problems is an area that might be of great usefulness. This is where I will explain simple settings changes in Planemaker that pilots can make themselves to create problems such as Lateral Control Imbalance, Yaw Imbalance, CG Too-far-aft situation, Gear Retract Failure, Landing Brake Failure, Avionics failure and others.

Training for these potential situations in a newly-built airplane would be priceless.

After updating the legacy flight models I have offered for many years, I will make an effort to include other homebuilt types as well. These might include Velocity, Quickie, Defiant, etc.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vezePilot said:

Yeah, it looks nice ... however: They asked me to review this package, and I didn't even reply with a critique after flying it...

Curt is 120% correct here. We were trying to use this model for some simulation wrt the development of a new avionics package, and it was a total POS - didn't act like a real LE in any way, shape or form. We wasted a lot of flying hours finding this out... Gaming model at best - don't even think about using it for training. The new link is here:

https://www.vskylabs.com/vsl-rutan-longez

if anyone wants to see it, for no good reason.

44 minutes ago, Marc Zeitlin said:

... We wasted a lot of flying hours finding this out... Gaming model at best - don't even think about using it for training....

Well that has to be partly my fault because I have not updated my conventional (non-3D/VR) flight models to X-Plane version 11. My plan is to do that, on the way to 3D/VR, and of course to still offer the flight models for regular PC flying, using a conventional flat display screen. And all additional aircraft such as Defiant, Velocity will also be offered for the conventional (2D) use mode before being developed and offered for VR. As always, there will be no purchase price required for flight models that I produce.

On 12/26/2019 at 3:42 PM, vezePilot said:

These flight models for VariEze, Long-EZ and Cozy MKIV will be Optimized for Real Life pilots and affordable PC hardware.

My plan is to do that, on the way to 3D/VR, and of course to still offer the flight models for regular PC flying, using a conventional flat display screen.

X-Plane itself needs a machine that is in the gaming class.  Such PCs can be considered affordable, but are well above what most expect to pay.  There's also the display.  To truly appreciate a simulator, I personally need a much more immersive environment than a typical flat display screen.  My current/old PC no longer runs X-Plane effectively on my 3440x1440 monitor and that's not even good enough for my liking.  Ideally I want a larger curved monitor with 2 additional side views that complete my experience.  I've thought about 3D/VR, which will come, but am not thrilled about full VR compared to augmented reality.  As a result, minimally I am looking to spend a fair amount of money to build a new desktop PC with higher refresh rate monitors.

My point is that while it's commendable to have efficient models, the nature of flight simulation is that traditional PCs and displays no longer cut it.

Personally, I am about to leave X-Plane and move to Microsoft's upcoming rework of their flight simulator.  They have moved from table-based aerodynamics to surface physics (and then some), which was X-Plane's key feature.  You may want to consider building a model for what will be a MUCH larger audience likely willing to pay you for your models.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/microsoft-flight-simulator-2020-video-preview/459f1230-035e-478f-b92b-4b0e11036c05 

https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/30/20885197/microsoft-flight-simulator-bing-maps-hands-on-demo 

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Uh ... I don't think so. You do not realize the immense amount of time I have spent practicing well-developed skills in X-Plane, and how much work it will take to move up to 3D/VR in X-Plane, and how I don't know anything about MSBS, AND HAVE NO DESIRE to learn anything more about any MS product.

Further, the very simple 3D models I plan for real pilots will have no appeal for gamers.

I now own the very first PC I have ever bought ... because I have always used Macs. This is a CyberpowerPC with a Liquid Cooled i7-9700 and an RTX 2080 in a Gigabyte Ultra Durable MB. While a little pricey, it is MORE THAN GREAT for X-Plane both on a large monitor and using a VR HMD. A lesser version, with an i5-8700 and a 1080 will also work nicely, at about $1,100. This lesser machine will work for real pilots because my flight models will not be demanding ... like just about all other aircraft for both X-Plane and MSBS.

3 hours ago, Jon Matcho said:

Personally, I am about to leave X-Plane and move to Microsoft's upcoming rework of their flight simulator.  They have moved from table-based aerodynamics to surface physics (and then some), which was X-Plane's key feature. 

Certainly it sounds like they have greatly improved their flight model, but in all my research, I have yet to be convinced it can come close to what X-plane does.

I'll get a copy to compare when their Linux edition is released.

(GMT+12)

Switching to MSFS may mean giving up the ability to train in canard type aircraft using a desktop simulator.

Although the MSFS developers now provide flight physics, they most certainly do not have 20+ years experience doing it, like Austin and myself.

Models will necessarily need to be complex in eye candy for the gamer market, and so will be overly demanding for affordable computers.

Proper design will require Currency in a Canard Type aircraft - who will that be? Someone on the CSA list? Apparently silent on the issue for years, if there is anyone?

Design in MSFS, as in X-Plane, requires Blender and/or AC3D for 3D objects. Also SASL and Lua or equivalents for manipulators and dynamics/automation; does our increasingly hypothetical canard designer have several years experience with these?

Aircraft flight models will likely require monetization for MSFS, meaning added expense for R/L pilots.

Proprietary nature of MSFS files will probably not allow individual pilots to modify aircraft for their paint, tail number, panel layout, weights, engine and first-flight prep settings. My plan is to support pilots in their efforts to do these things, just like I always have. For Free.

No ... discussion of MSFS has no place at a site for Real Life Pilots of full-size, canard airplanes. Unless you are an admitted Gamer primarily ... and therefore less likely to finish and fly your project.

Edited by vezePilot

On 12/28/2019 at 9:37 PM, vezePilot said:

Switching to MSFS may mean giving up the ability to train in canard type aircraft using a desktop simulator.

Yes, but someone will eventually make a canard-type aircraft in MSFS.  I was only suggesting to consider jumping on a train that will undoubtedly have a lot of momentum and exposure (and one that I and others are predicting will be better).

Aircraft flight models will likely require monetization for MSFS, meaning added expense for R/L pilots.

Proprietary nature of MSFS files will probably not allow individual pilots to modify aircraft for their paint, tail number, panel layout, weights, engine and first-flight prep settings.

What makes you think that the MSFS files are proprietary?  You're stuck in the "old Microsoft" mindset, where they were indeed "borderline evil".  Google and Apple are steadily taking the proprietary throne these days while Microsoft has been remarkably open since 2014.

My plan is to support pilots in their efforts to do these things, just like I always have. For Free.

I have no problem paying you or anyone a fair amount of money for a good product.  Austin Meyer, X-Plane founder, does exactly this many times over and has the toys to prove it.

No ... discussion of MSFS has no place at a site for Real Life Pilots of full-size, canard airplanes. Unless you are an admitted Gamer primarily ... and therefore less likely to finish and fly your project.

I thoroughly disagree with that as does Lockheed Martin, who took the MSFS engine to build their own professional flight simulation and training product (Prepar3D).

I am not saying there's no value in X-Plane and all that's been done with it for "real" flight simulation -- I will probably run it and appreciate your renewed interest in updating your models!  Time will tell and I hope the new MSFS 2020 product is absolutely amazing.  In the meantime, I am buying new PC hardware, monitors, and a video card to support the system requirements for BOTH the upcoming X-Plane and MSFS products.

@Jon Matcho  If there is no CANARD CURRENT pilot at Microsoft, their products for this community will not be useful.

@A Bruce Hughes  The value of training with a simulator cannot be argued. My wife and I proved that with our VariEze. Airlines and the military require it.

I have a mailing list which includes who are interested in Training in X-Plane. Perhaps I should restrict discussions with them, and not waste my time here.

Buh bye.

18 hours ago, A Bruce Hughes said:

About 10 years ago I bought X-plane and a control stick.

I never could get it to download.

I was just too busy finishing the Longeze to mess with it.

That's hardly any fault of X-Plane's.

5 hours ago, vezePilot said:

I have a mailing list which includes who are interested in Training in X-Plane. Perhaps I should restrict discussions with them, and not waste my time here.

Buh bye.

@vezePilot wow Curt, just trying to have a conversation on modern-day flight simulators.  Sorry if you found any of it offensive, but that was not the intent.  

No part of this is me suggesting that X-Plane is not viable.  I am only mentioning that MSFS is worth looking at.

• 3 years later...

With the advancements of x-plane 12 and the marketing hype of vskylabs Long-ez (https://store.x-plane.org/VSKYLABS-Rutan-Long-EZ-Project-30_p_811.html) is there any anyone on the forum that can give an honest review of the handling characteristics of this sim?

Tell me and I forget.

Show me and I remember.

Involve me and I understand.

I flew the XP11 one, and the XP12 one looks like it's just a compatibility update.

The model wasn't a great representation in XP11. The sim is fine, but the model is more about looking good than a faithful representation of flight dynamics.

I might ask if I could do an 'official' upgrade to fix it sometime.

Edited by Voidhawk9
  • Thanks 1

(GMT+12)