General build question

Hi everyone,

I am starting to research planes to build and I keep coming back to the Cozy MKIV. I was originally content with a 2 place but the Cozy seems like a great, high value build. I also like the thought of plans building, spreading out the money on the project etc......

I am intrigued with the composite construction but I am not so sure it will work out for me.

I am planning on starting the build in my garage. My issue is that I live at 8,000 ft in the foothills/mountains west of Denver. Needless to say winters/cold can be pretty long. Even when early season warmer temps are a nice 65 deg during the day it can get close to freezing at night.

What do you guys think? Is the only really sensible solution to heat the entire garage$$$$$$

For builders that live in colder parts of the US how do you deal with it when building with epoxy?

Thanks

Buy two twin-size electric blankets from Walmart. Throw them over the part that is curing along with some poly or a rigid foam box and that should get you through most of it without having to maintain the temperature of your shop for hours on end.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

It still has not gotten warm enough in my shop to do epoxy work. So I still am burning wood in the stove to get it over 80. I do most of my building in the winter when it is to cold to do anything else. Insulate your building really well and fork over the money for what ever heat you are comfortable with. Start building and after lots of hours and money you will have a plane. STeve build on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

After reading some building websites I have noticed that some builders cover the material/layup and put heaters or lights inside the cover etc...

What is the mimimum temperature needed to do the layup initially if you use a warm box to store the epoxy and then cover the layup after with a heater?

I have started to read the news letters and the more I read the more I am convinced at what a great design the Cozy MKIV is with great documentation and building support.

The garage is already insulated and all utilities are easy to get to. I just might have to get a heater and have at it.

What is the mimimum temperature needed to do the layup initially if you use a warm box to store the epoxy and then cover the layup after with a heater?

Beyond just warming the epoxy before and the layup after, it is important to have the layup warm while you are wetting out the cloth and using the squeegee. You can use a hair dryer or heat gun to help during these phases, but it's best to have a warm shop.

The garage is already insulated and all utilities are easy to get to. I just might have to get a heater and have at it.

That's the direction to go - warm shop. As a rule, the warmer the shop, the lighter the aircraft.

Dave Adams

Long EZ N83DT

Race 83

I am planning on starting the build in my garage. My issue is that I live at 8,000 ft in the foothills/mountains west of Denver. Needless to say winters/cold can

I think we should hook up, I'm a few miles SSE of Estes Park.

I have a wood heater in my shop (aka basement) that I fire up for layups. generally the basement stays at 55 if I don't heat it. Cool down takes in the neighborhood of 24-36 hours. By then the epoxy is fairly well cured.

If not, I have a drink before retiring, then toss another log on when I get up to pee at oh-dark-thirty. Not ideal, but it works for me. YMMV.

Couple of builders at KLMO I could put you in touch with, holler.

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

Rick,

If I decide to pull the trigger I will post/message.

Sean

I think we should hook up, I'm a few miles SSE of Estes Park.

I have a wood heater in my shop (aka basement) that I fire up for layups. generally the basement stays at 55 if I don't heat it. Cool down takes in the neighborhood of 24-36 hours. By then the epoxy is fairly well cured.

If not, I have a drink before retiring, then toss another log on when I get up to pee at oh-dark-thirty. Not ideal, but it works for me. YMMV.

Couple of builders at KLMO I could put you in touch with, holler.

Rick

Rick,

If I decide to pull the trigger I will post/message.

Sean

I'll be here. Email me from my profile or website.

I'd thought about a tandem also (I have no waife or kyds), the Cozy won out with it's huge trunk. Disadvantages, she needs long paved runways. And time to build her ;)

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.