Looking at other peoples' projects

goatherder

Within the last couple of weeks, two EZ builders were kind enough to allow me to check out their projects. I'm grateful to both of them for taking the time to show their stuff to a wannabe like me.

The first was Martin Fryer who lives across town from me. Martin is a really nice guy, and patiently answered all my ignorant questions. This was my first look at a Long EZ in the construction stages, and it really helped my understanding of how these things go together. Martin showed me his finished canard, and how it mounts on the fuselage. He also showed me the various parts and pieces he has acquired and explained about them. I don't know much about composite planes, but I do know a little about craftsmanship...and it looks to me like Martin's got that going on. It'll be a nice plane when he's finished.

Last weekend I drove down to Oregon and took a look at Al Wick's Cozy Mk IV. Al was kind enough to take time out of his weekend to meet us at his hanger. Man, what a nice plane. Even my wife was impressed (which was a really good thing) Al has some cool stuff going on - he has a spankin' new Subaru 6cyl mounted and damn near ready to fire up, and that thing looks like it was meant to be there. Talk about a clean installation - nothing cobbled anywhere and a few trick parts too. (Including his redrive) Al is a real smart guy and is doing some revolutionary stuff, and it was really nice of him to take time out to show some n00b his plane. A non flying n00b at that. I came away inspired, and ready to get my ass in gear.

Then my wife reminded me that I need to finish up a few existing projects before I get started on any new ones. So I've been down at the marina all week working on the ol' Tollycraft. Not a plane...but ass is in gear just the same.

Next week its off to the Bering Sea for 2 or 3 months to kill some fish and (hopefully) trade 'em for money.

Marc Oppelt

Olympia, WA

http://picasaweb.google.com/oh.u8it2

Within the last couple of weeks, two EZ builders were kind enough to allow me to check out their projects. I'm grateful to both of them for taking the time to show their stuff to a wannabe like me.

The first was Martin Fryer who lives across town from me. Martin is a really nice guy, and patiently answered all my ignorant questions. This was my first look at a Long EZ in the construction stages, and it really helped my understanding of how these things go together. Martin showed me his finished canard, and how it mounts on the fuselage. He also showed me the various parts and pieces he has acquired and explained about them. I don't know much about composite planes, but I do know a little about craftsmanship...and it looks to me like Martin's got that going on. It'll be a nice plane when he's finished.

Last weekend I drove down to Oregon and took a look at Al Wick's Cozy Mk IV. Al was kind enough to take time out of his weekend to meet us at his hanger. Man, what a nice plane. Even my wife was impressed (which was a really good thing) Al has some cool stuff going on - he has a spankin' new Subaru 6cyl mounted and damn near ready to fire up, and that thing looks like it was meant to be there. Talk about a clean installation - nothing cobbled anywhere and a few trick parts too. (Including his redrive) Al is a real smart guy and is doing some revolutionary stuff, and it was really nice of him to take time out to show some n00b his plane. A non flying n00b at that. I came away inspired, and ready to get my ass in gear.

Then my wife reminded me that I need to finish up a few existing projects before I get started on any new ones. So I've been down at the marina all week working on the ol' Tollycraft. Not a plane...but ass is in gear just the same.

Next week its off to the Bering Sea for 2 or 3 months to kill some fish and (hopefully) trade 'em for money.

i am a hour north of you if you ev er get that way and would be happy to show you around :)

Steve M. Parkins

Will you be on "The Deadliest Catch"?

I'm not a boating or fishing guy, but I get a kick out of that show.

Builders are very welcoming to visitors. I have visited probably well over a dozen builders around the world. I've never walked away not saying that it's a great experience. Are you traveling somewhere? Post a message and ask.

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

Will you be on "The Deadliest Catch"?

Nope. Absolutely not. No offence...but most people I know in the fishing industry regard that TV show with disdain. I've never watched it.

Never been crabbing, although I've turned down crab jobs because, well...crabbers are, by an large, just a bunch of monkeys and I don't want to work with them.

For the last couple of years I've been first mate on a 300ft factory trawler with a crew of 80; I ran the boat for 12 hours at night. Now I will be captain of a 145ft catcher-only trawler that delivers 40-50 ton bags of fish to the 300 footer. Only 4 crew including me on this one. Not nearly as many goats to herd.

Marc Oppelt

Olympia, WA

http://picasaweb.google.com/oh.u8it2

Had an EAA Tech Counselor visit on your project? If not, when the WX is good, happy to pop down and have a look.

-Joe Person

EAA Tech Counselor #4418

VariEze N79JN

Bothell, WA (KPAE)

you ever get to tacoma ?

Steve M. Parkins

Happy to pop down in the Eze (I always look for good excuses to fly). Give me a ride from Thun or Tacoma Narrows (whichever is closer) to see your laboratory, and I'm happy to pop down.

Feel free to contact me on the side as well - ezejoe@comcast.net

-Joe

you name the time and idd pick you up at the Narrows, im 15 min from there.

sat ? sun ?

Steve M. Parkins