Rudder Pedals / Brakes

Kingpilot

I would suggest the rudder pedals created by Dale Martin.

Posted Image

They are already set up for the Matco master cylinders and are adjustable (without removing any cable attachments.) If you look at the picture, the cable threads through the 'S' shaped tube and is anchored at FS 0.0.

I'm working on this chapter at the moment and expect to have these installed by the end of Jan.

I was watching the Red Bull air race and when they detail the planes ..... they have the same adjustable pedal arrangement.

You can find information to contact Dale on www.long-ez.com

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Search some of these builder pages. You will likely find lots of rudder pedal ideas

I checked out this link and although there are a few Long-EZs listed, I found no construction details.

Lots of Cozy links.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

• 8 months later...

I am working in my own design (with some ideas stolen from others) for front mount master cylenders. Can anyone tell me what the typical distance the stock rudder pedals travel is (how far do they pull the cable) before the brakes are engaged?

I'll post some pictures of what I am doing in a couple of days for you all to tear apart if I can get this figured out.

Thanks.

Martin

On both a Longez and a Cozy, the POH tells you how to set up the pedals. The POH is not sitting in front of me---but you would stomp on the pedal as hard as you could (full braking) and then have someone measure the deflection of the rudder in inches at the bottom of the rudder. You would have to adjust the pedal (trombone, plunger, whatever mechanism that you are using for actuation of the master cylinder) so that you got that magic deflection at full braking. If you did not get enough deflection at full braking, then you are obviously engaging the master cylinder too early.

On a cozy, the rudder cable has a spring on it. This more or less allows you to engage the master cylinder somewhat late in the process---this is good. This will ensure that you get FULL deflection prior to master cylinder engagement. On a longez (without the spring)---if you tried this, you would probably break something.

Not on the stock COZY MKIV. The spring is added IF you install the hidden rudder belhorns

Thanks Marc ... I been looking over the stock plans trying to find where I saw it.

PTM is building from the Open-EZ plans IIRC.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Thanks Drew and Thomas. That makes perfect sense now. I did notice in the Long-EZ plans that they call for 0.7" extra play at the rudder bellhorn. I persume this was to allow for that extra movement after the brakes are first engaged.

So. If I understand this correctly I will need about 4" of movement from neutral rudder to full deflection, then again enough to push the master cylinder in another 1.38"

So. If I understand this correctly I will need about 4" of movement from neutral rudder to full deflection, then again enough to push the master cylinder in another 1.38"

You've got it.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

You've got it.

Not quite so fast.

I see that the available stroke for the Matco MC-4 cylinder is 1.388" Do I actually have to design the system so that the entire 1.388 is used?

I am having some trouble figuring out the correct geomtery that gives me the correct rudder pedal movement and the entire stroke of the master cylinder.

I guess this is what I get for trying to do something my own way.

Think Pi * D

Mine are set up this way:

The Master Cylinder is 2.75" from the pivot

The rudder cable is around 7.5 " from the pivot

Right. I have about the same measurments using the stock rudder pedal and the recomended mechanical advantage that Matco publishes. Its just the the geometry of the parts I had envisioned are just not working out when I lay them out in cad.

I think that I will either have to go with the tube in tube (berkut or Dale Martin meathod), or some other way.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like it should work!

Hows the action?

I will really need to try these out installed soon. the moving parts work good so far. My plan is to use an AN bolt with a castelated nut and pin. A couple of washers helps keep everything aligned well.

• 1 month later...

Not on the stock COZY MKIV. The spring is added IF you install the hidden rudder belhorns - NOT with the stock plans system.

is there a # for the spring ? i tried the 4" x .35 OD .050 wall,

it feels like it needs to be at lest two times stronger ?

Steve M. Parkins