Downdraft Cowls for Long EZ for sale

longez360

Following a number of inquiries about my new downdraft cowls, I have decided to make them available. This will save the average builder a significant amount of effort in design & manufacture and deliver proven drag reduction and cooling performance.

Pictures: http://www.canardzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1622&page=2

Material: CFRP or GRP, Araldite K3600/MGSL285

Kit: Upper cowl, Lower cowl, centreline scoop fairing. Not included: baffling/plenums, upper scoops (your choice).

I am cooling a 9.2:1 IO-360 within Lycoming specifications. The cowls have been carefully engineered to maximise drag reduction and deliver adequate cooling. The cowls gave significant performance increase on my Long EZ http://www.ez.org/feature/F0411-1/F0411-1.htm

Further information and pricing by private message request

Cheers,

Wayne Blackler

IO-360 Long EZ

VH-WEZ (N360WZ)

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

http://v2.ez.org/feature/F0411-1/F0411-1.htm

Wayne, your airplane is simply a work of art and your workmanship is true craftsman level - good on ya mate!!

Kinda wish I had a plane that needed those cowls.

Are you planning to just sell the set you have or are you offering to 'produce' them for others?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

John

Hi Wayne. Forgive me but the pics of your plane are showing a flat topped scoop NACA type of a box shape..and the ones you are offering are rounded topped. Did you decide you didnt want these ones you are selling, and built the square style on your finished downdraft installation?

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

the pics of your plane are showing a flat topped scoop NACA type of a box shape..and the ones you are offering are rounded topped.

I think you are looking at the engine air intake, where the P-51/NACA would be in the plans. The aircleaner on the end is a hint...:) From how I read Wayne's list the cooling intake/plenum is not part of the deal. He is really making me wonder about putting a NACA on a Cozy.

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

I think you are looking at the engine air intake, where the P-51/NACA would be in the plans. The aircleaner on the end is a hint...:) From how I read Wayne's list the cooling intake/plenum is not part of the deal. He is really making me wonder about putting a NACA on a Cozy.

- I read it as Wayne was offering a pair of Downdraft scoops and referencing his photo's in the link.

What is shown for sale is the underbelly scoop that feeds the engine with a K&N type filter insert. But there are two of them?

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

G'Day all,

My cowl setup is as follows:

- There are two 5" x 1.5" NACA inlets either side of the canopy. They feed individual plenums, cylinders 1&3 and cylinders 2&4.

- There is a lower 'centreline scoop' which is a 5" x 1" NACA inlet. It feeds the fuel injection servo and and oil cooler. I have it camlocked in place (using skybolt c-locs) giving full access to the hell hole (almost as good mod as downdraft itself!)

You can use the cowls for any four cylinder engine installation, and for carb or fuel injection.

The total inlet area for everything is 20sq.in. This is a lot less than most, even for O-235 installations. I am cooling a pumped up 9.2:1 IO-360 Lycoming (parallel valve, not the bulky angle valve) well within specs.

The only air in the lower cowl is cylinder 'exit air'. from the lower centreline inlet, I go directly to the fuel servo through a K&N RU2710 filter. The bleed air off the side of the centreline scoop travels through to the oil cooler via a duct. The oil cooler has an outlet duct that flows out under the spinner. The idea was to not add air for the oil cooler to the lower cowl when I was trying to downdraft cool! :-) I used to get to 215F even on cold days. I actually have a butterfly valve on the oil cooler outlet to heat it up now, and it never sees more than 195F in climbs on even the hottest summer days here.

The top cowl can use any style scoop with a plenum, plenums or baffles. You could use parallel walled submerged scoops, divergenet straight walled scoops or ram scoops - your choice. All seemingly have little effect on drag and provide adequate mass flow rates for cooling from what I have read and flight tested.

The lower cowl can be used for a carb or fuel injection. Although much tighter around the engine, the lower cowl has far more room than the old berkut cowls as I used one continuous blister per side rather than a myriad of blisters to cover induction tubes, starter and alternator etc etc. It oil flow exceptionally well.

post-1384-141090165691_thumb.jpg

post-1384-141090165703_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Wayne Blackler

IO-360 Long EZ

VH-WEZ (N360WZ)

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

http://v2.ez.org/feature/F0411-1/F0411-1.htm

• 8 months later...
  • 10 years later...

In a  post from 2/16 on canard-aviators list, Dale Martin said he was going to make them but I do not see them on his website:   http://www.long-ez.com/custom-parts.html

Here is the post:     https://canardzone.groups.io/g/canard-aviators/message/88414?p=,,,20,0,0,0::relevance,,blackler+cooling,20,2,0,54473715

I have played around with those NACA-style intakes on top and they did not work for me.  The flow above the strake is probably somewhat turbulent and in a climb, low pressure above the strake does not lend it self to flowing air into the intakes.  People have had success with forward-facing scoops of various kinds which is what I converted to.  My effort is in my Kent's Long-EZ thread.  They cooled very well in cruise but not at well as a bottom NACA scoop in a climb.  After experimenting with downdraft, I would say an updraft NACA configuration is probably the easiest idea to implement.

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

7 hours ago, Kent Ashton said:

The flow above the strake is probably somewhat turbulent

I've been doing a little CFD, and it appears that flow over the strakes transitions to turbulent once the curvature ends and the surface goes flat. So yes, this appears correct. An inlet clear of the resultant thicker boundary layer or with a boundary layer diverter should still work fine.

Of course, as it so often pointed out, the inlet is only part of the equation, expanding and controlling where that air flows and exits are just as critical.

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)