Centersection spar

gullikson

I have a question concerning the layup of the interior of the centersection spar. Either the plans are unclear or maybe I'm just not understanding them clearly.

Step 4 of chapter 14 has you doing (layup 2), 1 ply BID layup at 45 degree orientation to all three faces, including the end bulkheads (I clearly understand this part).

It then goes on to have you do (layup 3) adding 1 ply BID to the interior bulkheads and UND to the hard point areas (I clearly understand this part).

The section I find puzzling is (layup 4) where it says: As in the inboard reinforcement (layup 3) layup the 1 ply BID over the bulkhead lapping 5" inboard, then 3 UND plies 4" wide as shown.... It appears that the inboard bulkheads only get 1 ply BID (on each side) total but the outboard bulkheads get 1 ply BID at (layup 2) and another 1 ply BID at (layup 4). Unless I'm seeing this incorrectly it would seem that there may be a planning error and that inboard and outboard bulkheads should both get 1 ply BID total.

Any feedback from those that have been there already would really be appreciated. I want to do this layup on Sunday.

Thanks,

Greg

Cozy? This is how I did mine, YMMV...

One ply BID over the entire interior, all five planes. BTW, I did the center strip of glass first, then left and right. This way a fiberglass lap joint isn't visible from the Bass Monster cutouts you do at the end of the chapter.

Install CS bulkheads (trim these to be tight, then clamp on the outside; IMHO).

Add one ply BID on these bulkheads, lapping 1" onto the first layup, except where the hardpoint and UNI reinforcements go. There, I lapped 5".

The outside bulkhead BID gets lapped 1" onto the bulkhead, and 5" where the hardpoints and UNI layups go. Not a second layer of BID over the entire face of the outside bulkhead as I think you're implying.

Install UNI strips, add hardpoints, add flox transition, add small rectangle of BID to cover hardpoints, weight.

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

The way I did it was slightly different from the plans. I did my interior layup on the three faces (including the hardpoints) and applied peel ply to the bulkhead areas.

While that was curing I faced both sides of the bulkheads and again added peel ply. After all was cured, I fit the bulkheads, floxed and taped in place.

The plans method has you install the bulkheads with everything wet with a caution of 'don't disturb the surrounding layup'. I figured on errorring on the side of caution vs. speed.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

...... another tip:

I found the directions as far as cutting out the spar trough a bit confusing so here's what I did.

I cut out the templates and proceeded to cut out the area they referred to in the BL reference number until I had the depth right for that area. I placed a piece of 3/4 MDF scrap in the cutouts and then laid a router jig with the cutting blade set to a depth of 3/4 and used that to cut out the balance of the foam in these areas.

I found myself questioning the accuracy of my sculpting abilities and went to this method to insure accuracy. Also, the references as to the cutouts on the bottom left of 14-2 and the top right of the same page were areas where I felt avoid confusion by using the jig to get the trough right first.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

• 4 months later...

looks like the right thread for this question :-)

what is the lenght of the CS spar? i am getting a used LE and i wanna check if it will fit inside my garage. i dont have the plans here, if memory serves me well, is close to 10ft long or better, wide

thanks

looks like the right thread for this question :-)

what is the lenght of the CS spar? i am getting a used LE and i wanna check if it will fit inside my garage. i dont have the plans here, if memory serves me well, is close to 10ft long or better, wide

thanks

G'day

If your building a Long EZ per plans it will be 113" long. Just under 9.5ft.

Hope this helps

Jeff