Another NLV Crash

TMann

Another NLV crash. This time a twin engine piper and again another house was hit.

http://www.kvbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=8917457

I would say that three fatal crashes out of the same airport in 2008 is going to draw a lot of attention to the management of that facility. Could this be fuel related?

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

what is the reason that they put two engines on an airplane?

So when they have an engine failure, they'll still have enough power to get them to the seen of the accident!

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Wow, look at that airport on Google maps and it is no wonder. It is so built up on the departure and arrival ends of the runways that it is surprising they don't have more tragic accidents. Poor planning by the city. 5000 foot strips, 130 degree temps, recip aircraft...what are they thinking. The airport commisioner should spend less time berating experimental aircraft and more time reviewing TERPs. I wonder if the "Bubble headed bleach blonde" that comes on at 5 will run an op-ed with her side kick "Biff" on how dangerous twin engine factory built aircraft are. It is unfortunate and that area has clearly outgrown that airport.

..........they'll still have enough power to get them to the seen of the accident!

Very true!

You just can't get all of that P-Factor enjoyment out of just one engine.

I'll stand by my prediction of a closed airport by 2013.

It should be a crime on the part of city planners to sacrifice lives to get what they want.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

I'll stand by my prediction of a closed airport by 2013.

Put some $$$ where that mouth is? Say, $1000? Give you 2:1 odds, too, if you like. Hell - make it 5:1 - I'm feeling generous, especially since I'll never have to pay.

If you understood the rules regarding airport closures when an airport has taken federal $$$, you'd never make such a silly claim. A cursory search shows that the last time NLV airport received federal $$$ was around 2001 at the very earliest, indicating that if they never took another dime from the feds, they'd have to stay open until 2021.

Not only that, but it's no closer to stuff around it than McCarran is. Having flown into both, and flown past the tower and the strip going into McCarran, if the argument was made that NLV is too close to stuff, then McCarran's got to go, too. Not going to happen.

Unless Bill Daley moves to LV, and no-one notices, the NLV airport isn't going anywhere in the foreseeable future.

Back to the original topic - having written letters to the 2 largest LV newspapers, the head of the Clark County Aviation Association, Randy Warner and the NLV Airport manager, AOPA and EAA and having the CCAA President, David Lerner use chunks of my letter in a letter to Mr. Warner, not to mention EAA president Tom P. using info from my letter in his letter to Mr. Warner (without asking permission, as Mr. Lerner did) I may write another letter to Mr. Warner inquiring as to the imminent banning of Piper twin engine aircraft. Although sarcasm and irony rarely have an effect on appointed officials...

If you understood the rules regarding airport closures when an airport has taken federal $$$, you'd never make such a silly claim.

For starters ....... it's a prediction, not a claim.

Secondly, after what happened to Meigs, I would not bank on those who want the airport closed to follow ANY rules.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

One other aspect when receiving federal funds,

The FAA is now a silent co-owner of the airport. If you decide to sell the airport (Reidhillview, San Jose CA) because the property is now worth a gazillion dollars. You can pay back the full amount of the grant, AND when you sell the property, the FAA, as a silient owner in the Percentage of the grant. i.e. if it was a 10/90 % grant, then the FAA will receive 90 percent of the revenue generated by the sale. (90% of the gazillion dollars, sweet)

ALSO - NLV is desiginated a GA reliever for MaCarren. In other words, the operating certificate for McCarren says that NLV will receive GA traffic. If NLV were closed, the current operating certificate for McCarren would no longer be valid. A new certificate would need to be generated that would allow X number of GA operations, AND, I guarentee, a significantly reduced number of commercial operations.

Waiter

For starters ....... it's a prediction, not a claim.

Distinction without a difference. It's what you say will happen. I say not. Want to bet, or do you not have faith in your prediction?

Secondly, after what happened to Meigs, I would not bank on those who want the airport closed to follow ANY rules.

And I would say that after what happened to Meigs, the supporters of airports (and the FAA) will be far more militant in ensuring that any airport owner follow the rules. The AOPA has been very good about keeping track of these types of things post-Meigs.

I don't think Meigs had any grants and was free to do what they wanted.

Pretty darn sneaky though, go out there at 3am and run a couple bull doxers across the runway.

Waiter

I don't think Meigs had any grants and was free to do what they wanted.

You're correct. According to AOPA, all grants had expired, and Chicago could do what they wanted (within some strictures, none of which said they had to keep the airport open). NLV is NOT in the same boat as Meigs - there are far more restrictions on closing the airport.

......the city of Chicago spent $600,000.00 in legal fees to get to a point where they could settle with a fine paid to the FAA in the amount of $30,000.00

FAA regs were violated. No prior notice, no notams etc.

We're not talking about citizens .......... we're talking about politicians.

I think you're right though. I don't think there is that level of corruption in Las Vegas. :rolleyes:

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

One other aspect when receiving federal funds,

The FAA is now a silent co-owner of the airport. If you decide to sell the airport (Reidhillview, San Jose CA) because the property is now worth a gazillion dollars. You can pay back the full amount of the grant, AND when you sell the property, the FAA, as a silient owner in the Percentage of the grant. i.e. if it was a 10/90 % grant, then the FAA will receive 90 percent of the revenue generated by the sale. (90% of the gazillion dollars, sweet)

Waiter

Reid-Hillview, let's go flying, no, let's go to the mall, hey, lets do both! :P

How many landings have there been on mall property now? Good example of an airport that was waaayyy out there at the time it was built and now it is very crowded.

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Since Daley tore up the airport he (His honor the Mayor) is happy to report that no terroist has taken off from Miggs and collided with any of "his" buildings.

For that matter there have been no collisions by birds either.

All the birds have done is to crap on his statues.

Miggs is now just an empty wasteland...just like the mayors head.

Yeah ........ it's hard to get the permits to develop a property that has been contaminated with the fuels spilled over a 50 year period. I was in a meeting in downtown Chicago earlier this year and could look out at the former Meigs Field just blocks away and wondered at how wonderful it would have been to have landed there conduct my business and spend about as much time hailing a cab as the trip to the airport would have taken.

Hey, not so much as a houseboat off of either end of the runway.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

berating experimental aircraft and more time reviewing TERPs. I wonder if the "Bubble headed bleach blonde" that comes on at 5 will run an op-ed with her side kick "Biff" on how dangerous twin engine factory built aircraft are. It is unfortunate and that area has clearly outgrown that airport.

Hey hey HEY!!!! My nickname in my fraternity was Biff. In the scope of Sigma Chi nicknames at Texas State Biff wasn't too bad since we also had a Flounder, Booger and Wingnut (he had big ears). Ahh, I longed for the sophmoric humor of college....so I became a cop:D ;)

All the best,

Biff...uh, Chris

who doesn't get his money for nothin' and his chicks for free.

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

Thanks, I will certainly have that song still stuck in my head when I hit the airport tonight after work to work on my "most of the Jeffco ground off, getting ready for new glass strakes.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

Since Daley tore up the airport he (His honor the Mayor) is happy to report that no terroist has taken off from Miggs and collided with any of "his" buildings.

For that matter there have been no collisions by birds either.

All the birds have done is to crap on his statues.

Miggs is now just an empty wasteland...just like the mayors head.

It's because of his actions that I don't go to Chicago anymore. I avoid it at all costs. I don't fly through there, and I drive around it.

They don't get any more of my money, in any way.

Mike LaFLeur - Cozy MkIV #1155
N68ML
76225.gif