Yair Gail -Stranded in Greenland

TMann

Yair Gail is stranded in Greenland on his way back to Tel Aviv from Oshkosh.

Cross posted at Ted's request:

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Hey Folks,

We are still working on getting that nose gear strut to Yair who has been stranded on the western coast of Greenland for 3 days now. We are looking for a ferry pilot that can pick up the part in Bangor ME sometime after 10:30am Monday August 11 and drop it off in Greenland. Yair is at BGSF (04231) in Sdr Stroemfjord. The package is very small, 3lbs, 30x4x4 inches.

Please cross post and distribute this message to other aviation groups that can help. There are always aircraft making that journey. If you have contact names and numbers please help. If we do not find someone very soon the package will have to be routed through Copenhagen and will not get there until August 18 or later.

BGSF is pretty close to the middle of nowhere. His cell phone does not work there and internet is not reliable. Yair cannot easily make things happen from that remote location and he is reliant upon our help. He is calling me regularly for updates. He also has Damon Meyer's phone number. For now please contact me at 650 888 8488 and/or email if you can help in any way.

Lets get him out of there!

Thanks

Ted Davis

Hollister Ca

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

• 2 weeks later...

It appears so...and he isn't being vocal about it. Can't blame him after all that was done to get him the emergency strut.

The story behind the story is ... Ted says, after conversing with him a few times, that Yair is a many houred pilot and is flaring the plane like a spam can and dropping the nose onto the pavement from quite high up. [heck I wasn't there so I don't know]...but Yair says he doesnt have a problem with his landings. Ted sent him some CF BID with the strut and suggested that Yair reinforce the strut since Yair explained how he was landing the plane to Ted. It appears Yair did so [see the photo] but somehow didn't get the wheel assembly attached right and lost it in Iceland.

I only mention this because there was exhaustive postings about how fragile the strut must be if Yair broke it twice in 3 weeks of flying. Now there have been 3 incidences with his nose and landing. Poor guy. I think it's just a technique thing. There isn't anything wrong with the strut.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

It appears so...and he isn't being vocal about it. Can't blame him after all that was done to get him the emergency strut.

The story behind the story is ... Ted says, after conversing with him a few times, that Yair is a many houred pilot and is flaring the plane like a spam can and dropping the nose onto the pavement from quite high up. [heck I wasn't there so I don't know]...but Yair says he doesnt have a problem with his landings. Ted sent him some CF BID with the strut and suggested that Yair reinforce the strut since Yair explained how he was landing the plane to Ted. It appears Yair did so [see the photo] but somehow didn't get the wheel assembly attached right and lost it in Iceland.

I only mention this because there was exhaustive postings about how fragile the strut must be if Yair broke it twice in 3 weeks of flying. Now there have been 3 incidences with his nose and landing. Poor guy. I think it's just a technique thing. There isn't anything wrong with the strut.

if he is going to land that way he may need to carry a spare or two. or rethink the way he lands the plane. maybe a safety cable like the race cars use to keep the tire with the plane.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

i looks like shimmy, you can see smoke and the backing plate still in the pic.

it looks like it just shook off the strut...imo

post-474-141090163637_thumb.jpg

Steve M. Parkins

The left tyre is visible.

The beige smoke is from the strut being ground down.

There is a lot of smoke at the initial impact site, thereafter it gets less ... Me, I don't think it is photoshopped.

But this is purely my own opionion.

regards

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

The left tyre is visible.

The beige smoke is from the strut being ground down.

There is a lot of smoke at the initial impact site, thereafter it gets less ... Me, I don't think it is photoshopped.

But this is purely my own opionion.

regards

Ahhhh, so it is visible. I stand corrected sir :o

Also I understand that this is an older photo and Yair Gil is waiting out some weather and about to get going again.

So just for information ... this from YG on the Cozy Builders group - Quote:

Hi,

The last few days I had minimal internet access and not always.

There are about 200 different emails in my email Inbox which for me it just impossible to answer one by one.

So I will tray a general answer:

I'm in Iceland, waiting for a better weather. I hope to leave to the UK by Monday.

About events, I will write a report upon landing at home.

What I can say by now which is sure important to everyone on the list is that:

During my NG up landing at North Scotland I made two mistakes:

1-Forgot to lower the NG.

2-During that landing I tried to lower the gear during that bad landing run.

The result of first mistake was big shame and some repair jobs at Oshkosh, but not more than that.

I think the effect of the second mistake was weakness of the two BID layers on the NG strut.

On my landing at BGSF (Greenland) the wind was (if I recall correct) 12Kts tail wind. I also tried to land slower landing speed.

All those reasons bring the broken strut.

Yes, I didn't flox the NG15, but what I found on the ground that the four heads of the 1/4"screws was torn out from the screws.

Than NG15 and opposite sandal become apart.

>From that moment till my arrival to my parking spot, the runway works like a sanding paper.

CONCLUSION- DON'T LAND NG up landing.

If you insist, don't try to lower the gear before replacing the 4 screws at NG-5

If you insist on that, at least, don't forget to sand the strut and do the BID layers.

and for sure, you have to belong to the COZY group which contain special folks.

I'm really angry on that Icelander "spotter" which published his pictures disregarding the effect on my wife and the family and friends.

He knew me personally, nothing was urgent to publish the picture.

A week latter wouldn't be any big different.

I like to say I was got helped from Ken Miller which gave me his strut, Steve Wight which did the connection between me and Ken miller.

And to Todd Silver (the canopy manufacturer) that provide place and means to do the works. And pace to stay.

Regards

Yair Gil

So, what is the latest news on our travelling Cozy?

from the Cozy Builders List:

Hello All,

Today at 16:15(local time) after 7 weeks enjoyment flight I landed at Tel

Aviv airport (LLSD.

I'm a bit tired but with a lot of satisfaction.

I want to thank all the folks that helped me along the way.

The next few days I will stay at home with my family and friends, than I'm

planning to carry out some modifications in my COZY interior.

Regards

Yair Gil