Selling OpenEZ plans on eBay

RVBuilder

Huh, I didn't know you could sell free stuff on e-bay!?! Watch out for my new upcoming E-bay auctions:

1) Selling: Box-O-Air (extra large) $18.50 (FREE SHIPPING!!!)

2) For Sale: Tutorial on how NOT to get scammed (CD or DVD) $9.99 +$3.50 s/h

3) Auctioning: Detailed list of locations to "rent" books NATIONWIDE!!! $33.60

...more to come soon, act now while supplies last!!!:envy:

Even though you get charged for the listing, I'm thinking about posting an auction with the same headlines and stuff for no charge with the links to the forums here with a price of $0.00. I hate tools like that. :irked:

Look at all the other listings this seller has, seems to be an opportunist taking other people's efforts and making a buck off them. Since the Open-Ez is a non copyrighted project I suppose he is not breaking any laws, just being an opportunist with bad manners.

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

There is an easy solution to this. No reason Jon can't create an "open source" license that forbids anyone from making money off the project. Heck, he could even just copyright his site if he wanted. It could be as simple as a couple lines at the beginning of the thread or category. Most outfits like eBay don't want the headache so simply reporting that the material is copyrighted would most likely be enough.

I once bought a PDF on eBay that was called "Hanger Door Secrets" and was advertised as having plans and material for several different types of hanger doors that you could DIY. It came with a 100% money back guarantee. Turned out to be a few paragraphs and a bunch of links to various websites with no original information in addition to pictures and info stolen directly from those websites. The guy wasn't too happy when I told him I wanted my money back and that he should be ashamed of running such a scam. In the end he gave me back my money at least.

That sounds like a fair solution, I know you guys have put a lot into making this happen with no expectation of returns other than getting results for yourself and others so I hate to see this kind of thing happen.

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Can you imagine the disappointment of the buyer after they get only the drawings and are told to click here and there to buy the rest of what they really wanted?

No reason Jon can't create an "open source" license that forbids anyone from making money off the project.

The Open-EZ fits into the Fair Use clause of U.S. Copyright Law. Selling for a profit is not fair use, and so you could -- right now -- write eBay and let them know that that's a sale of copyrighted material. There's no confusion that the Open-EZ drawings are copyrighted, and only made available through Fair Use.

Taking the Open-EZ a step further into a true Open Source license could happen, but those exact drawings aren't mine to do that with -- they would have to be reworked (into CAD most likely). Keep in mind that the design is not patented or does it have a design right associated with it. That's public domain, but the arrangement of ink is not necessarily. If you're building an airplane, or just curious at a personal level, download the Open-EZ and go.

Updating the entire plans set would eliminate the need for the "TERF" CD, but this is all really a fair amount of work to be done right.

Still, something in the back of my mind... and also, have been thinking more about contacting Burt about this to somehow make it easy for HIM to open-source the entire work.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Add to that, this loser is selling them as "Plans" however going on the text he only has the templates and the POH.

Surely that is enough to report him to ebay. If infact they do contain the plans also, then Terf might like to hear about that.

However, if people are bidding and not doing their homework they deserve to be ripped off (as much as I think the seller is a tool).

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

Hahahaha. I just took a look at the sellers name.

Some time ago he was selling the Corby CJ1 Starlet plans on Ebay. I emailed him and sugested if he did not remove them imediately I would notify John Corby (the designer, who I regularly speak with). He removed them within hours. I have just now asked him to remove the OpenEZ.

If you'd like to download all the plans available ON CD from ebay take a look here. http://www.ultraligero.net/Sitios/Planos/ultraligeros.htm

The Startlet ones are there and I will be getting those removed (if I can).

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

Though he might not be able to charge for the plans, he could charge for the costs of producing the CD, packaging, ...

I like Jon and Waiters comments though, send the buyer here :)

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

• 5 months later...

I cannot understand if I'm talking of the same guy, but a few days ago I found an auction on e-bay for open-Ez plans.

my understanding is that this guy is from Russia, his english is very weird(more than mine) and it was hard for me to understand what was advertised, but besides the open_Ez plans there was a reference to a russian canard.

I was just too curious not to buy those plans, so here what I have got(2,99$):

he has sent me by e-mail(more or less 30MB) all the open-Ez templates(the funny thing for me was to receive ng30 template that I did not have before)

plus plans for a strange russian canard, with radial engine, blended winglets, low wing and swept canard.

at the moment I have some problems with acrobat reader and I'm not able to open the pdf manual(that I suspect is written in russian) but here some pics:

post-2335-141090164844_thumb.jpg

post-2335-141090164847_thumb.jpg

post-2335-141090164851_thumb.jpg

post-2335-141090164854_thumb.jpg

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads. (Dr. Emmett Brown)

• 4 weeks later...

plus plans for a strange russian canard, with radial engine, blended winglets, low wing and swept canard.

at the moment I have some problems with acrobat reader and I'm not able to open the pdf manual(that I suspect is written in russian) but here some pics:

More info about that strange russian canard here

http://sla-avia.narod.ru/index-eng.html

and here

http://www.reaa.ru/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1171027550/150

Here you can download Solidworks model (click that link in the middle)

http://sla-avia.narod.ru/p-6.zip

Here you can download X-plane 8.60 model (click that link in the middle)

http://sla-avia.narod.ru/P6-final.zip

with radial engine

Engine (Vendenyev) thread here

http://sla-avia.ucoz.ru/forum/32-12-1

You may want to try this online translator as well

http://www.online-translator.com/