turboprop

• 8 months later...

GFL 2000 Turboprop

post-11281-141090165785_thumb.jpg

It can deliver 330 shp:D , but was electronically limited to 230 shp to be installed on a C182, this airplane was elongated 18” to compensate weight, gear box reduction is 25-1, prop RPM 2560, engine weight 132 lbs:envy: , 5000hrs to overhaul:banana: . Fuel burning rate wasn’t bad but I don’t remember numbers.

Really a dream come true for any Rutan design.

Gustavo Labala the designer, built 3 prototypes, I’ve seen two of them running in The Rodriguez EAA Chapter in Argentina, in 2001, one on a bench and the other on the Cessna.

WATCH this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ecdDhqA1Z8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coHg1jfiJI4

Again a dream come true, but a shame that today, 8 years later it hasn’t prosper to a series production. It is really a mystery. All data you can find on the web is from back then. I know he didn’t want to move from the country, he had several offers from the US and Europe, and his country wasn’t supporting him much. Maybe because of that he left everything on at that stage.

As soon as I find any updates I’ll let you know.

Luis

post-11281-141090165779_thumb.jpg

post-11281-141090165783_thumb.jpg

I don’t know about that.

This engine was first developed by Gustavo Labala as a requirement of The Bariloche Atomic Center in Argentina, they needed it for a urine enrichment process for energy generation, then Labala saw the potential for aviation use and, on his own, changed the course of the design, he also tested it with different fuels like, JP1, regular kerosene, diesel and propane and the little machine responded pretty well.

The operation is also easier than the reciprocating engine, since there is no prop adjustment, the prop adjust automatically to the delivered power.

I’m sorry that I can’t help you with sources of information in English, everything is in Spanish. All I’m telling you, Labala told me and I got it from this link:

http://www.aeroespacio.com.ar/site/anteriores/538-550/541/site/_turboh%E9lice.htm

I also saw on youtube a 660lbs of thrust turbofan designed by the same guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypoyRLDdBsg&feature=related

PS: my mistake, the C182 was elongated by 8”, not 18

I think this was them as they were from South America and it was a well developed powerplant, the demo unit was very compact, same redrive on it and was in a compact demo cradle, had a little panel with controls and instruments, fuel was in a small red plastic fuel can. It made all the right noises :D and would have been perfect for a LE or Varieze in size.

Amusing when fuel consumption is in the 30+ GPH range and the recent AOPA article of Klaus's 50-100 mpg.

Then of course there is the ever vapourous Innodyne :ROTFLMAO:

..Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

I have never studied spanish, but I can understand the article for its similarity to italian: everything is very interesting but am I wrong or they are talking about a cost of 60000$?

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads. (Dr. Emmett Brown)

...engine was first developed by Gustavo Labala as a requirement of The Bariloche Atomic Center in Argentina, they needed it for a urine enrichment process...

I think they're on the wrong track with that, try banging some prime Australian URANIUM together.

(Thinks: Buggar, should I have said URANUM for better international understanding???)

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

I have never studied spanish, but I can understand the article for its similarity to italian: everything is very interesting but am I wrong or they are talking about a cost of 60000$?

Correct! "Labala estimated price range of power plant in the $ 60,000, that amount be recovered quickly with low operating costs."

I somehow doubt that "quickly" claim...

Yes, you are right; $60,000 (USD) was the estimated sale price by that time 2001. But there is something you don’t know. From 1990 to 2001 Argentina was living a great financial lie, the Argentine Peso vs. Dollar exchange rate was 1/1 by law, no by free exchange market, this was real for a few months but the lie started to grow to the point that in 2001 the country economy collapsed and the exchange rate went from 1/1 to 1/3 in a week:scared: , It was a chaos, loans were pact in USD, people savings were arranged in USD, so then banks didn’t want to return savings (they didn’t by the way), and people didn’t want pay loans back. Because of this the country was to expensive to export anything, after the collapse all values went down about 3 times. So we could say that 60K would be 20K, considering inflation let’s say today, 25K. I think that it wouldn’t be bad for those in the market for 0hr engines;) .

To give you a better idea of how Labala was pricing this power plant, in an article I read, he said that 400 shp certified engines are close to the million dollars, so if his engine can deliver 300 shp his price would be a bargain, some how he was right, BUT… I think that as a beginner he can not stand next to P&W or Rolls-Royce:rolleyes: .

You can't apply "what the market will bear" pricing to experimental aviation when your head is up there with commercial aircraft. Though I think if this is an entirely new engine with all new components it is still going to be unobtainium for the experimental builder.

Out side of exotic metalurgy, a turbine should be cheaper to produce due to being made up of many identical parts. If the people designing the next generation of fan powered weapons could be persueded to allow for electric start options rather than explosive starters then there would be a whole market ready and waiting for the unused engines when they swap them out as preventative maintanance =)

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

No. Last time I saw him was at that air show in Rodriguez EAA Argentina, then I moved to Ft. Worth, TX. But I found his phone number on the internet. If it’s current I’ll let you know. I'm as anxious as many others to know what happened.

Well my friends, I talked to Labala, he was in a hurry, so gave me his email address and said will tell me everything about it by email. BUT I did get the data everyone was skeptical about. YES… fuel burning, and as I said, I didn’t know the numbers but wasn’t bad; I was right. The C182 was flying with 15.8 Gallons per hour, because it didn’t even need 200hp, remember O540=440lbs GFL2000=120bls

As I get more data, I’ll post the updates.

...not 440lbs. My IO540 parallel head, narrow deck, weighs 408 lbs. 280hp. Angle heads weigh more- Cozy applications dont want that.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

I want one. Dont know what I am going to put it on, but I want one. Whut is this guys typical designed fuel consumption values?

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

• 3 months later...