Cozy on an unimproved airfield?

There is a gravel/sand airfield within less than 1 mile of our family cottage. I would like to be able the land my Cozy at this field because the closest paved airport is 60 miles away.

I was thinking about using a 12” nose wheel and larger wheels on the main gear. In addition I would fashion some kind of fender on the nose wheel to help prevent debris from being kicked up into the prop, and use wheel pants on the main gear.

I would likely be the one maintaining the airfield as it has essentially been abandoned, but has been used in the last 10 years. So I am trying to figure out ways to remove any stones and achieve a hard packed surface.

Does anybody have experience using pusher prop aircraft like the Cozy on unimproved airfield surfaces?

Crazy Canuck

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Cozy MKIV #MK1536

I used the "SEARCH" feature that is part of this forum and found the following subject (plus many more): Follow this thread

http://www.canardzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2761&highlight=turf

I was thinking about using a 12” nose wheel and larger wheels on the main gear. In addition I would fashion some kind of fender on the nose wheel to help prevent debris from being kicked up into the prop, and use wheel pants on the main gear.

The amount of drag introduced would most likely negate the advantage of a streamlined Cozy.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

There is a gravel/sand airfield within less than 1 mile of our family cottage. I would like to be able the land my Cozy at this field ...

Does anybody have experience using pusher prop aircraft like the Cozy on unimproved airfield surfaces?

There have been many discussions of canards on grass/sand/gravel/unimproved runways both here and in the COZY mailing list archives. Search for them.

There is no way in hell that I would even think about landing on sand or gravel with my plane, no matter how big the tires. You want a different plane.

Canard airplanes are the wrong airplanes for what you want to do. You'd be much happier (and safer) with something like a Bearhawk. The canard nose gear carries a lot of load, nose strut spring dampening is nonexistent, and you'd have problems even steering on any soft surface. I have taken off on a rough grass strip in a Cozy III. It was a scarey exercise bouncing along in tall grass seemingly forever until the canard develops enough lift to rotate. And I was solo! Not something I would do again or ever try dual.

An airplane like the Bearhawk would be perfect for your strip. Check it out.

http://www.bearhawkaircraft.com/

There is also a precut tubing kit for this airplane.

http://www.vr3.ca/home_builders.html

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

In northern Ontario there is something called crusher reject, which is basically fine aggregate that is a by-product of the mining process. It packs very hard like concrete and it is cheap. I have been thinking about the logistics of resurfacing the strip with this material. I have also been thinking about some sort of chemical packing agent such as tar or oil. This would likely involve lots of permits, but it is a common practice for improving roads in the area. Perhaps simply renting a compactor for a week would be a solution. However, if there is a way to upgrade the landing gear that would probably be the cheapest and fastest solution.

I thought alot about various aircraft before settling on this plane. Basically it works out faster to land 60 miles away and hitch a ride to the cottage rather than fly a slower utility plane just to land at one turf strip. This location is just one planned destination.

Crazy Canuck

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Cozy MKIV #MK1536

So I am trying to figure out ways to remove any stones and achieve a hard packed surface.

It seems that this would be the essential part of you proposal. In most areas, the best way to keep a surface hard and packed is to pave it. Is there any chance you could pave or concrete the surface? (I suppose if you could, you'd be asking about landing your jet there.)

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

Yeah, if paving isn't really an option unless I can convince the Ontario Government that the area needs a paved runway for MEDEVAC access. Can't see that happening, and they would probably see right through my argument.

Crazy Canuck

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Cozy MKIV #MK1536

I think another problem to think about is the damage to your prop from FOD. A friend has a Velocity that he has gone through three props because of FOD. The nose wheel tends to kick up any loose material and the prop is right there to catch it. I would hate to guess how much damage your prop would see flying off a gravel strip.

All the Canard's that are Burt Rutan derivitives are made for paved runways. They have little wheels and a prop that eats debri even on a paved runway. You need to look at a rv or some other front engined plane. You cant do what the plane was not designed to do. If all I had was a dirt strip I sure would not be thinking of flyin a Cozy or Longeze off of it. STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

I've landed my Long on grass three times. Each time I tell myself - that's the last time! Each time it's memorable and not in a good way.

Even when the grass is short, it takes a lot more ground run to get up to speed. When you lift off, you feel the drag of the grass very noticeably go away.

Dave Adams

Long EZ N83DT

Race 83