Whats with the nose?

robinson217

Ok, this question is coming from a complete noob, so go easy on me.

I have noticed a lot of differences in the shape of long EZ noses. Some are quite "boxy". (like in the first pic)I think that is the way they were designed. But I have seen some (Like the second pic) that are more curvy and smooth.

here's the question: Does the builder acheive the smooth look simply by softening the edges of the original plans, or does it take some kind of supplimental drawings, and or an amemdment to the plans to acheive such a look? Is there a significant advantage to either, other than asthetics?:confused:

Picture one (boxy)

Posted Image

Picture two (smooth)

Posted Image

also notable in picture two: The conopy glass seems to have a more streamline shape (less of a bubble) that some I've seen. Is this a newer design? Or is it just the camera angle?

Picture three seems like a fairly radical departure from the original nose. it looks longer and rounder. Anyone know what this is?

Posted Image

Just curiouse- Chris:)

Man must rise above the Earth—to the top of the atmosphere and beyond—for only thus will he fully understand the world in which he lives.

— Socrates

Ok, this question is coming from a complete noob, so go easy on me.

I have noticed a lot of differences in the shape of long EZ noses. Some are quite "boxy". (like in the first pic)I think that is the way they were designed. But I have seen some (Like the second pic) that are more curvy and smooth.

here's the question: Does the builder acheive the smooth look simply by softening the edges of the original plans, or does it take some kind of supplimental drawings, and or an amemdment to the plans to acheive such a look? Is there a significant advantage to either, other than asthetics?:confused:

Picture one (boxy)

Posted Image

Picture two (smooth)

Posted Image

also notable in picture two: The conopy glass seems to have a more streamline shape (less of a bubble) that some I've seen. Is this a newer design?

Just curiouse- Chris:)

the nose is longer so it fares in better. there are many that were built with a longer nose. the canopies do vari a bit but it is mostly the height it is mounted at that makes a difference. some taller builders had to mount them that way for more head room.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Does the builder acheive the smooth look simply by softening the edges of the original plans, or does it take some kind of supplimental drawings, and or an amemdment to the plans to acheive such a look?

I'm not sure about pic nr2 but for 3 you need "some kind of supplimental drawings"

like this

http://www.ez.org/longez_cad.htm

Is there a significant advantage to either, other than asthetics?

If you are going to use bigger engine then original configuration with longer nose it's easier to keep CG in right place (u can move battery) and of course it looks much cooler with longer nose then with boxy shaped. I believe as well that longer nice shaped nose will be better from aerodynamic point of few then short and boxy(my opinion).

Here is a nice discussion about longer noses.

http://www.canardzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1728&highlight=longer+nose

btw nr 3 is really nice

Mak

Here's a couple links that you'll find informative

http://www.ez.org/nose1204.htm

http://www.ecobb.net/NoseArt.htm (Unfortunatly it's not there anymore, so try archive.org) try this.

http://web.archive.org/web/20050121093932/http://www.ecobb.net/NoseArt.htm

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

The "Nose" is the only thing on the plane that is "freehand". There are no templates or dimensions, just some verbal guidance of "Cut away anything that doesn't look like a nose"

Here's a couple photos of a "Nose Job"

that gives you an idea of how I made mine.

http://www.iflyez.com/LongEZ_Construction_Photos_Nose.shtml

A word of caution: Remember, the airplane parks on its nose, so a nice long sleek pointy nose, when parked would be resting on the pitot tube.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

The longer nosed Longeze is a much better looking plane. You have to figure it out yourself though. Not hard to do It adds a bit of individuality to your plane. My Longeze had a very good looking nose and so will yours because you built it. STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

I like the looks of a longer nose on the Cozy (like Jannie Verseld's). The plans built cozy nose seems stubby and flat. It looks like it catches a lot of air that would counter the lift of the canard and creat drag(IMHO). There has been a lot of discussion obout the incidence angle of the canard. I wonder if this would be an issue if the nose wasn't creating down force. This is my perception and may not be a big issue. I am quite frequently wrong. Just ask my wife!:D

A word of caution: Remember, the airplane parks on its nose, so a nice long sleek pointy nose, when parked would be resting on the pitot tube.

Waiter

I respectfully submit...That is not so...I have added 8-3/8" to my nose and this is a picture of it with the nose gear completely retracted, so I could determine the shape for my aluminum parking skid.

...no skid installed in this pic..will raise nose a bit higher yet.

In the pic you can see the ''pitot pal'' receiver as the little black object frontmost. I favor this pitot over others as one can remove the actual pitot tube part and keep people from stepping on your pitot tube when parked nose down. The other two pics are showing the removable tube. With a removable tube you can pretty easily make sure the thing is clean, at least the business end. I will buff out a couple of these so that they look like chrome & have a couple spares in the map pocket.

post-4661-141090159074_thumb.jpg

post-4661-141090159081_thumb.jpg

post-4661-141090159087_thumb.jpg

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

In the pic you can see the ''pitot pal'' receiver as the little black object frontmost. I favor this pitot over others as one can remove the actual pitot tube part and keep people from stepping on your pitot tube when parked nose down. The other two pics are showing the removable tube. With a removable tube you can pretty easily make sure the thing is clean, at least the business end. I will buff out a couple of these so that they look like chrome & have a couple spares in the map pocket.

How easily does that tube fall out? Are you not worried about that tube falling out and ending up in the engine and/or prop?

"Worried"?

If I had looked at the item when purchasing it, and had any concern whatsoever- I would not have installed it. It inserts over an inch and a half and is a very close fit. No concern. :)

The only other ''concern'' might be that is it is not heated. "Ahhhhh", you say... nodding knowingly as this lightbulb goes off..."Now thats the limitation".

It is if you need a hard IFR airplane, for which this aircraft is not designed nor intended...so if you need your pitot heated, you obviously can't use this one=]

"Fall out". It occurs to me that maybe you are thinking that being pointed downwards, maybe it will fall out. No it does not. And when you park it, you remove it so the line personnel and looky Lous don't bend your beak.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.