First Flight Video

I have posted a condensed video of my first flight (takeoff and landing only). I finally figured out that I had a typo in the link, and that is why it wouldn't download the file before. Anyways, others may learn from some of the things that I did not quite right.

The video camera was a mini-dv Cannon mounted to the TB1 bulkhead, right about in the middle of the plane. You can see a very good representation of what the visual cues are over the nose of the plane.

http://www.gourmetdamage.com/video/

The small file is 3.8 Meg, so it will take some time to download.

Regards-

Norm

The dreaded feeling of someone else watching you flying your airplane..

It takes a lot of guts to share that moment.

I for one appreciate it, for the furtherance of the craft and the other non-technical feelings evoked while watching wings take flight.

Thanks!

Kevin

Back to building... #618 Cozy MK IV

My Cozy web pages, courtesy: Rick Maddy... :cool: WN9G :rolleyes:

I have been thinking fondly of you guys today.

I read a letter today about a gentleman that tore up the sky over several Eastern States, Giving rides to New Cozy Builders and Prospective Cozy builders. Well I myself was up tearing holes in the Western Sky.

I had an opportunity to get some “Complex” time in, and some “IFR” knowledge, with a Kind gentleman out west. I really was grateful for the experience this gentleman is giving me with “IFR” &”Complex”….So Keep this in mind while reading any of the sarcasm in this “Tale”.

We set out this morning about 8:00 AM, in a plane that starts with a “M” and ends with “oony”…….went south about 200 miles, streaking across the sky at 153 MPH(Fast after cruising in my 1959 C172, at 100mph)You would be very proud of how nice I was to this VERY PROUD m OONY owner.

This plane has the IO360/Turbo tsio……….Thought of Dust and his engine.

Every time I checked the Turbo gauges, I thought of John Slade, and wondered “What is he doing today< did he get air born?”

I had watched Norms “Short Movie” last night Thanks Norm, so with every landing and takeoff I thought of him…….Norms landings and takeoffs were great compared to this “BIRD”

We saw most of New Mexico, Looked East into Texas and decided “NO” let’s go to Arizona, So we buzzed Mt.Taylor, crossed the border and headed to Utah. Before we got to Utah, we decided to cut back into NM, and overfly Chaco Canyon, then landed in Shiprock. Did a couple of “sacred 360’s “ around the “Navajo Sacred Rock”, buzzed a couple of Navajo kids around Teec Nos Pos, BOY they were jumping up in the air waving their hands, they wanted a ride bad. This is some BARREN LAND, we got down in the bottom of the San Juan River, and followed it up to the “Four Corners” monument and headed into Utah. We turned around between Bluff and Blanding, went back east to Cortez, Colorado. We went over all of my favorite Holy Places, Up the Canyon towards “Mesa Verde”, through “Ute Mountain Ute” canyon, Man I have had some good times camping out there.

As the “Bird” climbed out of Cortez airport and we headed North into the High Colorado Rockies, I was thinking “WOW, soon I will have a plane that outclimbs, outruns, and PLUM looks sexier than this plane……Dust/Mike’s word came to Mind “Life is Great”

We got back down lower, and skimmed the water of Navajo Reservoir , Beautiful Open Country………….For Hundreds of miles. We Zigged and Zagged all day, If you were to look at the GPS read out of our trip, it would look like a couple of drunken Lost Pilots.

The sky out west is the most beautiful Blue …………… The area between Cortz Co, and Taos,NM…..Is pretty much uninhabited……….and the Mountainous Regions 50 –100 miles west of Taos, is Totally uninhabited and covered in snow……………The Brazos Cliffs, untouched by man Have NO competition in Beauty. I have seen all of the Rockies from Texas to Alaska, and I do Believe, ”I live in Heaven”.

I wasn’t in a Cozy in Reality, But in Taos, we try not to spend much time in “REALLITY”…………..Today I was imagining Cozy IV Jo-Z………..and My Spirit Rising.

I didn’t do anything for anyone today, But Me…6 Hours of “PIC”….. Quite unlike the Wonderful letter I read about a Man Giving of his time today out East. I CAN wait until I get a ride in a cozy, but someone will have to pry me out.

I thought about you guys, and wished you were here……………especially the ones with a Flying Cozy.

It Is Good. <WINK>

:cool: Joe:cool:

Joseph@TheNativeSpirit.Net

I am Building a Jo-Z IV StarShip.

What Do YOU Want?

Inspirational stuff! Thanks for sharing it.

Would any other fliers agree this is likely to be the view I'll get (ie. If I get off my rrrrr and build something)? I was expecting more horizon and to see the canard:confused:

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

Well if u do get off that rrr and build u mite look at day 1 and night 1 of my very first air plane part,its all mine i built it i growed it, would have slep with it but not dry yet. my home pages is a bit (sucky) but untill 1 of u show me, its all this brain can figer.

i got 5 more still in camara but need to get epoxy off it.

Star ship,cool logo,or badge rather but can u biuld a glove for a camara ?the link ishttp://www.msnusers.com/cozy4and u need to click on photos

Steve M. Parkins

ty ,the 45 angal dosent fit the hole thing so i added so on the corners,i got the flos and micro mixed up and flosed the one side,but it looks gr8.and the other side in micro,and it not so hot,looks funny?. f 28 has a opition to round the nose a bit but the plans have the dots just go to far,do i cut the end like the plans want on the first one and just note the where the line is.it still must have stringer that touch the ends ,right ?

ok , well back at it i'll read here in a hour or so(shoting for a lay up tonight and i got #5 in the mail.

Steve M. Parkins

Steve,

I am not building yet, and I am sure you want dust or Johns input.........but

You know , On the draewing there is a "break" they are not showing all of the part. They do say to make F-28 at the the center 4inches (That is 4 inches total, not add 4 inches)

But the "break" where they "cut out", or just didnot include some of the part to save space........looks like where the problem you are talking about is.

They do tell you to make it 16.25 inches from the "Notch" to the center.

Hope this helps........

Please feel free to E-Mail me with your phone number, I have free long distance, and will talk it over, if need be.

Joseph@TheNativeSpirit.net

What Do YOU Want?

Or.......are you talking about the Dashed Line that rounds off the corner to the "Left" on the drawing.....????????

Perhaps a new thread should be started. " Steves Progress"

Sure wish there was better access to "THE CHAT ROOM"

What Do YOU Want?

Please feel free to E-Mail me with your phone number, I have free long distance, and will talk it over, if need be.

Thank you ,i sent u a pic of the first try and the good one i hope,

mabe i should just drive over to johns or dust...lol

Steve M. Parkins

Originally posted by Spodman

I was expecting more horizon and to see the canard

The camera was looking ahead straight over the nose. The pilot is sitting to one side, and can see a bit more of the canard. But in a high performance climb out, it's all blue sky!

I will see if I can mount the camera looking out the co-pilot side, to get a more representative view slightly off to one side. I would like to make more flying video, but I fly from a controlled airport, where it is tough to get close to the runway to video the takeoffs or landings.

Other things of notice: The vibration after landing was from the nose wheel. Tightening the nose wheel damper fixed that problem. Also, I have been questioning the term 'carrier landing'. What I did here was a flair, and when the canard ran out of lift the nose plopped onto the runway. Is a carrier landing more of a three-point where you have no flair?

My recent landings have been much flatter, and I rarely use the speed brake. Of course, I am fortunate to have huge runways, and the further I fly down the runway the less I have to taxi...

Regards-

Norm

Originally posted by Norm M

... I have been questioning the term 'carrier landing'. What I did here was a flair, and when the canard ran out of lift the nose plopped onto the runway. Is a carrier landing more of a three-point where you have no flair?...

A "carrier landing" would be if you checked your touchdown speed on a "normal" landing, and then set yourself up at that speed, on a 3 deg glidepath and just drove it into the ground - no flare at all. It's not a 3-point because you're pretty cocked up at touchdown speed, but the nose bangs down right after the main mounts. Don't do this in your Cozy.:)

<... recent landings have been much flatter, and I rarely use the speed brake ...>

I would advise against this. I've operated out of airfields that have low terrain off the runway end and you can get some really nasty downdrafts on short final. I can never know they're coming, so I try to keep myself out of harm's way by staying as high/steep as is reasonabl (3 deg again). I fly a tight pattern to a 3 deg glideslope and try to plant it on the numbers every time. That way, if I go into a short field I'm as comfortable as I am at home and am not "learning" or having to do anything unusual.

<... I am fortunate to have huge runways, and the further I fly down the runway the less I have to taxi ...>

A sound enough enough practice (I hate taxiing for miles and miles too), but a bad habit IMO. Early landings should be "conservative" for obvious reasons. As soon as I'd mastered getting the thing on the ground, I went to precision (picking a spot on downwind and touching down ON it), and giving myself as many options as I could (around failures, unanticipated air currents, short fields etc.), and stayed there so as to avoid having to do anything unusual in an "unusual" situation.

Entering the pattern fast, using the belly board for a steeper glide path and flying a tighter pattern, if an engine quits any time in the vicinity of the airport, I can make the runway - even in the groove, I just retract the belly board and continue the march.

Flying a long, flat approach is [generally] more comfortable and less demanding , but I'm giving away some flexibility and options and alternatives that might be really important to me some day.

And it helps me stay engaged ... a five mile pattern is boring and I'm easily distracted so it's good for me to keep the juices flowing.:P

...Destiny's Plaything...

I need to correct the interpretation of some of my statements:

<<== <... recent landings have been much flatter, and I rarely use the speed brake ...>

I would advise against this. I've operated out of airfields that have low terrain off the runway end and you can get some really nasty downdrafts on short final==>>

What I should have said was 'recent landings have been done with much less flare, and I am carrying more speed across the numbers.' I lower the speed brake across the numbers, and still make the mid field turnoff without any problems. I just didn't see the need for mushing in on the edge of a canard bob. Short field, sure, parachute on down at close to minimal speed.

I much prefer a tight pattern, it seems to be much easier to lose control off your altitude and airspeed when you get put on a 30 mile straight in final.

<<== <... I am fortunate to have huge runways, and the further I fly down the runway the less I have to taxi ...>

A sound enough enough practice (I hate taxiing for miles and miles too), but a bad habit IMO.==>>

Again, If I mush it across the numbers, I have to taxi further down the runway to the mid field turn-off. I don't see any reason to come in at minimum controllable airspeed across the numbers. I have a touch down point that I target, so I am not allowing huge variation on altitude or speed. Speed and altitude control are a big deal on this slippery plane.

Not trying to be defensive. I can see where it would become easy for people based at a big runway airport to never develop speed control, and really get in trouble at a short runway field. Or refuse to even consider a shorter runway. I learned to fly off grass, and it always struck me as funny that some pilots would absolutely not land at a grass strip. So I guess we all have our comfort zones. This spring and summer I plan on setting up a camcorder at a nearby uncontrolled strip, so I can critique my landing spot, stopping distance, and technique. Practice makes permanent.

Regards-

Norm

<... Not trying to be defensive. I can see where it would become easy for people based at a big runway airport to never develop speed control, and really get in trouble at a short runway field ...>

That's the kind of thing I was addressing. It's OK IMO to play fast and loose with a long runway so long as you can comfortably jump right back into spot landings or other tight maneuvers when the situation calls for it, which seems to be the case with you.

<... much less flare, and I am carrying more speed across the numbers ... didn't see the need for mushing in on the edge of a canard bob ...>

Agreed. As I said, we need to be able to do it comfortably when the time comes.

<... Not trying to be defensive ...>

I didn't read it that way. I understand what you were talking about much better now. :)

...Destiny's Plaything...