Member Search Capability

Since I'm just starting on my Cozy building adventure, I'm trying to build up a list of builders in my general area (NW U.S.)that I can visit as need be to see different phases of construction, help out to learn the hands-on, etc. But, aside from a few I've stumbled upon, it's been abit difficult to figure out who's where.

I'd like to know if the forum community would find it useful to add some additional search capability to the "Advanced Search" area under the Members tab.

Specifically, I was thinking of a search by location, and perhaps a search by current chapter you're working on. I realize to make it truly useful you'll have to keep your member stats somewhat current, but just an idea to think about.

Does the Forum believe this would be a useful function?

Bob Macon

Plans #1242

N808RM

This is something that has bothered me about the forum for a long time, and has been mentioned a number of times in other posts by many others.

On the other hand, when you join the COZY mailing list, one of the things that you get is a database of all the builders/flyers on the mailing list, and their addresses/phone #'s, specifically so that you can contact people near you (or far away from you if you're away from home).

This bothers me too and is another item that I am looking into. I can say that I have used the COZY list to arrange project visits while traveling in Florida, North Carolina, and Arizona. This would have been difficult here.

To see our inferiority called out and Marc gloating over it :) is all I need to bring this feature request higher on the list of improvments.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

In order to achieve full utility, you will have to ensure that all information is provided upon signup (address, phone #, real name, etc.), which I believe the software can ensure, but then you will also have to ensure that this information is only available to members of the forum, so that guests cannot obtain it. I have no idea if the software has that ability to restrict access.....

I adjusted security so that Guests (and users not logged in) are no longer able to a) get into the Members link, and as a result b) see Member Profile information. You need to be a Registered and Logged In user to see this information.

pety pety, what about a simple list of registerred names and city/state, if the people choose to have one? then you can just go to the pm system and pm or email them ifin they have chosen to have it on the system otherwise, heck with em and come to plane day.

We are beginning a franchise arrangement for "plane day" in a city near you. just pay us 10,000 and we will certify you in the management of slaves, i mean workers. No wait a minuite, it's 500 and just pay it to AS&S and start working in your shop

security has NOT been an issue here

enjoy the build

dust

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

>pety pety...

I believe this can be translated into some sort of insult in English, but am not certain how to take it.

>what about a simple list of registerred names and city/state, if the people choose to have one? then you can just go to the pm system and pm or email them ifin they have chosen to have it on the system

Bob's idea is better, and the membership self-maintains the list with each willing member submitting their own profile information.

>security has NOT been an issue here

I now leave this topic, speechless.

When I first joined this, and other forums(all recently)........Someone used the information to start sending junk e-mail.

I have no idea which place, but because of the new influx of E-Mail , I attibute it to one of the new forums,or e-mail list I joined and gave information to.

In the Pilot Community, there is far less for me to be worried about than in most computer network forums.............BUT, that is just far less, NOT nothing to worry about.

Anything an Administrator could do to keep privacy as a main issue is important to me.

Heck the FAA, don't like "A Secret Society of Pilots" (SSP). You look up someones "N" number for their plane, you have enough info. to go searching.

I suppose a reservist in Civil Air Patrol could be .......CRAP

Woops I had to edit this, because I forgot to reply to the Main Question.

I like the Search Idea..........There are alot less of us out West........The member list is rather long........It would be nice to have member search for Location ,Chapter, Length of Hair too....:cool:

Joseph@TheNativeSpirit.Net

I am Building a Jo-Z IV StarShip.

What Do YOU Want?

I have been on this forum for along time, absolutly no junk mail from it. I started a new email account shortly before i joined and the amount of junk mail that account gets is miniscule and i use it for allot of items, other than this forum.

The great feature of the forum is the private messaging system, that way your email account is not in others systems to be attacked by infections and spread.

People are always trying to solve problems with the cozy that do not exhist, it seems that the same has spread to the forum, he he he

Now spell checking and appearing in google when a search is done, those are problems.

enjoy the build

Dust

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

in fact, if someone would like to check my mail for me, they will see the amount of junk mail i have accumulated in the last 18 months from this forum and a yahoo talk group and a variety of other sources.

just pm me and i will give you my email info to check.

enjoy the build

dust

i can be reached at

• 10 years later...

Jon,

Whatever became of this ? I know I will need the help of a local conspirator/mentor/tutor/motivator to get an aircraft built. South Florida is a big area - got to be a few canardians down here somewhere. I'm going to give the local EAA Chapter a call - I was a member many moons ago but the chapter back then was kind of a lot of duds (read - RV Weenies). An up to date list of builders and there locations would be helpful.

Thanks,

Randy

Whatever became of this ?

Instructions on how to best search by member locations can be found in this thread. I have been looking at a "Member Map" that would allow using a map to find nearby builders and flyers. I think this would be the best approach here, but suggestions are welcome.

I know I will need the help of a local conspirator/mentor/tutor/motivator to get an aircraft built.

It has been said many times that one of, if not the best, ways to build a plane is to do it with a partner. Your own personal desire, capabilities, confidence and willingness (and ability) to learn are important. Looking for other builder/projects of just about any composite type would be very helpful. For our aircraft types I find all the motivation I can handle online.

South Florida is a big area - got to be a few canardians down here somewhere.

Florida, Texas, and California have a lot of canard people, so I'm sure they're out there for you.

I'm going to give the local EAA Chapter a call - I was a member many moons ago but the chapter back then was kind of a lot of duds (read - RV Weenies).

My experience was the same as yours in the past, but I did recently join another (and only to find a fleet of RVs). I know there's some value there (camaraderie, engine building, wiring, etc.), so I may get more active but I personally am not counting on anything. There's no substitute for those that have actually done what you desire to do.

An up to date list of builders and there locations would be helpful.

For Cozy's, join Marc's Cozy mailing list. For general canards, sign-up for the CSA newsletter. Both provide detailed member lists.