New Long EZ Owner

Hows it going Canardians? Just finishing up my acquisition of a Long EZ in CA and really stoked to start participating in some fly ins!

I'm looking for an insurance company that doesn't hate these things 😕   I just got a quote and it was like 4700 a year for 50k hull insurance! 

I have my PPL/IFR and 325 hrs. Anyone have any suggestions?

A lot of folks recommend Falcon Insurance in Kerrville, TX   https://falconinsurance.com/    I've been insured through them for many years.  I do not have hull and I wouldn't have liability except that my airport requires it.  About $550 per year for liability on a Cozy.

Re: Hull Ins..  I look at it this way:  I am unlikely to have a crash that totally destroys the airplane (fingers crossed).  Anything less and I can probably repair it myself.  My friend totally ripped the nose off his Cozy forward of the canard and he rebuilt it himself with no prior experience.   Any shop that _could_ rebuild it is going to cost you an arm and a leg.  As the builder of mine, I know the airplane pretty well and respond to any unusual things with the engine.  As a buyer, you should be a little cautious and ask a lot of questions until you get really familiar with the engine and operation.  Engine and brakes--those are key items to maintain.  Did you buy one of the "Sales I've seen" listings?

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Tracey Martin
Aviation Insurance Resources
301-682-6200 office
301-682-9793 fax
www.air-pros.com
tmartin@air-pros.com

I was at about 384 hours and I got insurance for my VariEze with them.  I have $20K on the hull and liability.  Cost $1588.  I had to have 5 hours of time in type and get a checkout by instructor (Ryzsard Zadow - RAFE).

5 hours ago, Av8rJake said:

Hows it going Canardians? Just finishing up my acquisition of a Long EZ in CA and really stoked to start participating in some fly ins!

Just curious - who's plane did you get, and who did your Pre-Buy examination?

Are you planning on coming to Columbia (O22) on June 3 - 5? See:

http://www.canardswest.org/

11 minutes ago, Marc Zeitlin said:

Just curious - who's plane did you get, and who did your Pre-Buy examination?

Are you planning on coming to Columbia (O22) on June 3 - 5? See:

http://www.canardswest.org/

Deal will be completed on Saturday. Ill post the info on it as soon as everything is said and done. 👍

looks like a fun trip. should be doable.

Edited by Av8rJake