Long EZ Aileron Torque Tube bearing replacements

cbretana

Does anyone know where I can get the Delrin Replacement torque tube bearings for the ailerons? I have about 5-10 degrees play in the right aileron and I have isolated it to the bearing (I Think). When I wiggle the aileron up and down the bell crank appears to twist about the vertical axis on the torque tube (like the torque tube is rotating forward and backwards on the vertical axis). So I think it's the bearing that is shot. I want to use the replacement bearings I saw in an online article,  but it did not include source or part number. The bearings come in a holder that can be attached directly to the wall of the engine compartment and look like this:

image.png.1408f6c68b917bfa56521ee0a8755bfc.png

1 hour ago, Countach74 said:

Triangle bearing from ACS also works.

The Triangle FMN10 nylon bearings have been commonly used and they're total crap. They have substantial play in them, sometimes right from the get-go, and they loosen up more over time. I wouldn't put them in a children's toy.

They also have an iron version - the FM1510P, but I've never used them or seen them used and can't comment on them.

The EFOI-10 bearing from IGUS is extremely high quality, low price, and would be what I would use if I were either replacing existing worn bearings or building new.

Yes. These are the ones I've ordered. 

On another topic, When I took out the aileron linkage, I found the end of the piece that went through the old phenolic bearing to be corroded and damaged. The hole in the tube that the bolt that attaches the bell crank was worn and distorted, so I need to replace this tube.  

image.png.5b6ca8c16cae701415471bff1c261ca4.png

Can anyone confirm these specs for this part?

4130 steel tubing, 5/8 (.625) OD, 0.435 ID, and .095 wall thickness,  Aircraft Spruce Part 03-4000.

Is this correct or should I order tubing with a thicker wall? 

Edited by cbretana

50 minutes ago, cbretana said:

4130 steel tubing, 5/8 (.625) OD, 0.435 ID, and .095 wall thickness,  Aircraft Spruce Part 03-4000.

Nope. 0.049" wall, not 0.095" wall. 03-03700. It's in the plans...

You may have to file/sand down the OD of the tube a thousandth or two to be able to slide easily into the bearing/bushing. You also want to make sure that you drill the bolt holes with a centering jig, and tighten both bolts to the point of JUST BARELY ovalizing the tubing so that it will have no play in it.

Edited by Marc Zeitlin