A little bit extended Quickie?

AYB

Hey, guys.

I'm a 40+yo newbie to aviation, so, please, excuse my questions if they seem a little dumb.

I'm going to get my PPL next year (if that pandemic stuff will finally finish) and then the question about aircraft will get sharp.

I got very, extremely impressed with Q2 and thinking about building my own. But there is a thing about it that may be a show-stopper — I have a dog that I definitely want to keep with me. So I need a space for her — about a max-size transportation cage — 50x90cm on the floor.
As far as I seen here there is a plenty of space behind the seats, so how do you think would I be able to manage the open-access dog place there while building my own plane?

Also, that dog is about 30 kilograms, so I'd like to avoid overweighting the plane. Standard wings can maintain that additional weight at this place or I will need deeper construction modifications?

Another thing I'm concerned about is the range: about 800 kms will be too short for me, since there are not much places to fly to from Israel and I need to have 1200-1500km hops range to reach Europe. Any complete projects with doubled range you're aware about?

Is there any information about such mods anywhere? I failed to google it out.

Getting the PPL will likely alter your perspective on airplanes and give you different insight on what you want.  I would get the PPL first.    There are many airplanes for sale on www.Barnstormers.com.

There is a website for Quickies here   http://www.quickheads.com/     I don't know much about Quickies abut there does not seem to be much support for them these days.  I speculate that your problem in Israel will be getting materials shipped at a reasonable price.  A project or a full kit of another airplane from an active kit-seller might be better. 

One time I took my dog flying and he threw up in my lap.  Also England used to have a quarantine on incoming dogs.  

The U.S. rules on experimentals say each country must give specific approval for overflight of an experimental airplane.  You may find the same for Israel.    I don't see a chapter of the Experimental Aircraft Association in Israel   https://eaa.org/eaa/eaa-chapters/find-an-eaa-chapter

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

20 hours ago, AYB said:

I got very, extremely impressed with Q2 and thinking about building my own. But there is a thing about it that may be a show-stopper — I have a dog that I definitely want to keep with me.
Also, that dog is about 30 kilograms, so I'd like to avoid overweighting the plane.

Another thing I'm concerned about is the range: about 800 kms will be too short for me, since there are not much places to fly to from Israel and I need to have 1200-1500km hops range to reach Europe. Any complete projects with doubled range you're aware about?

With all due respect, you've decided on an airplane that doesn't fit the mission you've defined. That's backwards. Determine the mission (one or two people, 30 kg dog, some baggage, 1500 km range). THEN go find a plane that can fill that mission.

I will tell you that if you're partial to canard planes, a COZY or Velocity will do it with no modifications whatsoever. If only ONE person and a dog, then a Long-EZ will fill the mission.

Mission first, THEN airplane.

There is no way to modify a Q2 to do what you're asking - stop thinking about it. For weight, CG, structural mods, fuel capacity - not going to happen.

Thanks. I suspected that answer.

Long EZ looks absolutely great, except it "hanging legs". :)

I got over-excited with Q2 exactly because it's the only aircraft without any dangling things at all.  Even antennas are all hidden, thanks to absence of metal in a body.

5 minutes ago, AYB said:

Long EZ looks absolutely great, except it "hanging legs". :)

I got over-excited with Q2 exactly because it's the only aircraft without any dangling things at all.  Even antennas are all hidden, thanks to absence of metal in a body.

I didn't realize that "dangling things" were a primary driver of aircraft selection - in MY view, form follows function, but to each his own.

1 hour ago, Marc Zeitlin said:

I didn't realize that "dangling things" were a primary driver of aircraft selection - in MY view, form follows function, but to each his own.

Not the primary, but "imperfections"  are always a factor of satisfaction.

I still prefer to think that impossibility to extend Q2 a little to fit the dog or auxiliary tank isn't impossible, but just lack of my education preventing me to make necessary calculations and changes.