Too Cozy?

TDubs74

How would you rate the coziness of the MkIV to that of a Cessna 172.  I know the seating position is different, and the area under the panel is different, but would you say it's like being in a 172, or smaller even?  Curious minds want to know.

Tim W.

Selling RV-8 empanage kit.  Gearing up for Open EZ build.  The struggle is real.

3 hours ago, TDubs74 said:

How would you rate the coziness of the MkIV to that of a Cessna 172.  I know the seating position is different, and the area under the panel is different, but would you say it's like being in a 172, or smaller even?  Curious minds want to know.

Smaller and infinitely more comfortable. I sit in a C-172 and after 2 hours, I'm miserable and my butt hurts. After 5 hours in a COZY MKIV, I'm fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So what would be the consensus be on if you are on the larger size of the physical build be? I know in the rv world, the 8 is actually more roomy all around for the front seat occupant. Less cramped on the sidewalk side. Is that true of the long wz vs the cozy, or is the cozy just a better option for comfort even in the solo configuration?

Tim W.

Selling RV-8 empanage kit.  Gearing up for Open EZ build.  The struggle is real.

I flew CE-172s years ago.  I recall that we might rub arms with a copilot but it was not objectionable.  In a Cozy III, we usually overlap arms and I told my copilot not to sweat it and just relax.  When I am flying the III, my arm will be over his and vice versa.  In a Cozy IV we might overlap arms a little but a copilot can keep his arm to himself if he wants but it is still more comfortable just to overlap the arms a little.  The IV is 2" wider than the III and I am 230 lbs so take that into consideration.

The Cozys are more comfortable than the RV-6 & 7 I've flown in but because you are more reclined in the Cozys, it is awkward to turn around to, say, reach something in back or spot the bandit behind you.  Also probably harder to pee in a Cozy.  If there is anything I need from the back seat, I bag it and/or tie a rope to it so I can pull it forward.  Or stow it under my legs.

I found an EZ quite comfortable.  I hogged out the inside fuselage wall foam where the forearms are positioned and it effectively gave me another 1..25 to 1.5"" of cockpit width.  Which was nice. 

An RV-8 seems much more roomy in the front and better for air combat.  🙂

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

2 hours ago, Kent Ashton said:

I flew CE-172s years ago.  I recall that we might rub arms with a copilot but it was not objectionable.  In a Cozy III, we usually overlap arms and I told my copilot not to sweat it and just relax.  When I am flying the III, my arm will be over his and vice versa.  In a Cozy IV we might overlap arms a little but a copilot can keep his arm to himself if he wants but it is still more comfortable just to overlap the arms a little.  The IV is 2" wider than the III and I am 230 lbs so take that into consideration.

The Cozys are more comfortable than the RV-6 & 7 I've flown in but because you are more reclined in the Cozys, it is awkward to turn around to, say, reach something in back or spot the bandit behind you.  Also probably harder to pee in a Cozy.  If there is anything I need from the back seat, I bag it and/or tie a rope to it so I can pull it forward.  Or stow it under my legs.

I found an EZ quite comfortable.  I hogged out the inside fuselage wall foam where the forearms are positioned and it effectively gave me another 1..25 to 1.5"" of cockpit width.  Which was nice. 

An RV-8 seems much more roomy in the front and better for air combat.  🙂

Thanks Kent.  I'm just going to have to get down to Rough River to see.  

Tim W.