Dust Control

TDubs74

The hanger I am looking at using may have a snag.  The airport manager there said he was concerned about dust from the build.  My mind just jumped to a cheap and easy solution of just putting up some heavy mill plastic, and making some walls to control the escape of dust.

Any better ideas, or success using my idea?

Tim W.

Selling RV-8 empanage kit.  Gearing up for Open EZ build.  The struggle is real.

It ain’t like a woodworker’s shop.   There is little dust from building.  No more than the dirt that blows under my hangar doors all the time.   When the time comes to sand, the dust particles are heavy, fall to the floor and can be vacuumed up.    Painting is where you can create problems from paint mist.  Epoxy drips can be a bit messy.

FAA policy is that federally funded airports must reasonably accommodate aircraft construction in hangars.   I would take the position that the dust Is a non-problem but for the short time you’ll be sanding, you will use dust control.  People build these airplanes in attached garages without contaminating their house.   I built mine in the basement.    My wife never complained about dust upstairs.  

Edited by Kent Ashton
  • Thanks 1

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

You may have a different problem;   temperature.

Michigan has what average temperature over 24 hours during your building period?

My project was mostly built in S. CA;  but I move the project to Maui where I live.    I just had to do things that did not require a lot of epoxy.

Much of the final work was done on Maui; it was about ready to fly including painting.  

Then I got into a divorce and lost 2 years; married again; moved the "finished" airplane to Washington state.

Wife had a hangar.  Open at one end.   Built a workroom small enough to heat electrically.   Forced to make some  changes.     Always had 72 degree work space because I used Aeropoxy.    Got it to OLM.

Got 2 buddies to fly it.    It is now a legal airplane.      Thought I would make more changes to remove crappy engine cowling to get rid of some weight.   BUT I HAVE TO DO THAT AT 72 degrees.    Had to build a large box with several (10 I think) sheets of styofoam with 1"x2" wood supports around the rear of the airplane.   You can see a couple of pictures in last Dec. CSA newsletter.

Do you have temperature control over 24 hours?   That is pretty essential.

Bruce

Temperature was actually my number one concern when thinking about this. It has been to this day.  Truth is I may have to take February’s off. It does get cold and has lower than optimal temps for about 7 months out of the year.  It’s funny because as I’m outside today in the heat, I thought to myself that I am wasting a good build day. Lol. 
A heated sub-room is needed. It is a t-hanger and it is possible to make something up.  It would be best for me to relocate to a warmer state, but my income is here. Lol. 
So ideally I will do layups in the “hot box” and rough work in the other area. Was just curious if I needed to make a dust room as well. 

Tim W.

Selling RV-8 empanage kit.  Gearing up for Open EZ build.  The struggle is real.

It doesn't get dusty until Chapter 25 when you sand off lots of micro.  Like has been said... finishing is dusty, but it stays in one general area and you can use dust control then at the end of the build.  

Must you get a hangar this early in the build?  You can get much of the plane built in any small insulated space (shed, basement, spare bedroom.... ).

• Like 1

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

On 7/28/2020 at 9:39 PM, macleodm3 said:

Must you get a hangar this early in the build?  You can get much of the plane built in any small insulated space (shed, basement, spare bedroom.... ).

I actually prefer to.  I have no build space at my current location.  Plus the space in there will be great.  Added bonus is the plane I rent is there, so being able to have quick access to both will be nice.  

Airport manager is ok with it now, so I don't see a problem going forward, other than heat in the winter.  That's workable as well.  

Tim W.