buying a cozy project

Upali

I have a quick question. If I were to buy a cozy project almost done but not yet painted, are there any measurements I can take and also what should I look for to make sure it is built well? I know the best would be to have someone with experience and get their opinion but under current circumstances it may not be possible. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Upali

What project?  Where?  What stage?  We have seen a lot of them here  https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/21972-sales-ive-seen/  One of those?

Good workmanship is generally self-evident.  Look at the builder's log, talk with him about how he goes through the plans.  Most builders are pretty careful.  Everything on these airplanes can be fixed.  Even a centerspar that was mounted crooked can be cut out and remounted.  Strakes can be cut off and rebuilt.  I doubt you will find anything that bad.  Most buyers just start where the last guy left off and get a good airplane.

You might get someone to look at the project via a post on the Cozybuilders Google group or post some pics here.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Kent,

Thanks for the quick reply. Currently I am looking at the cozy III listed on barnstormers

https://www.barnstormers.com/classified-1478046-Cozy-III-project.html

but I live in Charleston WV and shear logistics of  picking it and getting it to my location seems quite a challenge. I see these types of projects come up for sale from time to time and thought I check if there are any particular problems I should be aware of before diving into one. Just for the record, I have not contacted the seller.

Edited by Upali

The seller has posted a lot in the past at various canard sites and groups so you might find some old posts about his project--sorry I couldn't find what username he used.  I think he has several handles.   The only opinion I have on a Cozy III project is that it is an airplane for smaller people.  I used to own one.  It is 2 inches narrower than a Cozy IV and a little more limited in fwd CG (i.e., front-seat weight).

Get him to send you some info.  If a seller wants to sell he has to talk to people.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Upali, you REALLY have to get an expert to inspect the airplane.   There are ways to creaat problems when building.
I am not at home so cannot send any solid information on the closest to WV.   At the very least, contact Marc Zeitlin.
He can do it for a price.   He looked at my Longeze when I thouogh I was about ready to call it finished and found 83 problems.   Some of those 83 were just not having the FAA required paperwork on board and some were just areas that needed sanding and painting.   But a few were actually problems.   That Cozy you are considering may have 183 problems.   DON'T just assume that it is OK if it looks nice.   Paint can hide a lot of mistakes.

BTW IF you are considering a Cozy III or a Cozy IV  BE DAMN SURE THAT YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT THE CG IS AND WHAT CG MEANS.
IF you weigh 200 pounds and put a 200 pound buddy in the front or back seat, the CG will be WAY OFF one way or the other.
THAT will KILL both of you.

In Longezes and Variezes, the CG can be set fairly well IF you have "Automobile Racer" scales and KNOW how to use them.
I did my CG checking INSIDE a hangar with the door closed and 2 buddies helping.   AND I rechecked it several times over a five year period of building.  If you are a light man and fly it solo,you probably will have a very big job getting the CG right on a Cozy III.   Getting a Longeze CG right is much easier.   You MUST understand what CG means.

On 4/19/2020 at 6:27 AM, Upali said:

I know the best would be to have someone with experience and get their opinion but under current circumstances it may not be possible.

If you can share a bit more you may be able to get more advise... what are the current circumstances?

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Jon, what I meant by current circumstances is the covid-19 situation.

My expectation is to find a project with a reasonable amount of work done and complete it. I have been following Kent's thread as well as check barnstomers.com  quite frequently.

27 minutes ago, Upali said:

Jon, what I meant by current circumstances is the covid-19 situation.

Ah... still, you can probably work around that.  It may go more slowly to get someone to look at the project, but I'd think it would be possible if you put the question out there when you're ready.  There's a lot of distance available in a hangar.

The closer a project is to finish (or flying) the more essential it is to have an inspection.  Projects come up all the time, so patience is the key.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV