Looking for parts

bmckinney10

I am a new VariEze owner and need/want to replace some parts.  I am having difficulty finding sources for some items.  If anyone has spares or knows of a good source, I would appreciate the help.

Elevator Trim Springs (PTS):  These are the 6" springs. (CP24-P9)  

Nose gear Shock/Spring (LST): I am replacing the original pushrod nose gear control with the worm-drive crank system.  I can make one from the plans, but if someone has spares or knows of a source, I'd like to buy. (CP25-P3)

9 hours ago, bmckinney10 said:

Elevator Trim Springs (PTS):  These are the 6" springs. (CP24-P9)  

Nose gear Shock/Spring (LST): I am replacing the original pushrod nose gear control with the worm-drive crank system.  I can make one from the plans, but if someone has spares or knows of a source, I'd like to buy. (CP25-P3)

The elevator trim springs are usually just hardware store screen door springs (long) cut to length, bend a loop at each end.  The nose gear spring is a "die spring".  The Vari uses a red one.  They are sold by McMaster but I don't have the length.  https://www.mcmaster.com/die-springs  I can pull the length off Cozy plans if you need the length.  They all use the same mechanism

hqdefault.jpg

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Century Spring Co. carries almost any size you want.  

McMaster-Carr carries a wide variety of MANY things we can use.   My IP is a sheet of epoxy/glass (they carry black).

www.mcmaster.com

I once ordered a key/lock for the IP for safety from theft.   When it got to me, I realized that I could not use it without hours of work.

I called, said that it was not quite right and I would return it.   They just said to keep it and they would not charge for it.  

They returned the charge to my debit card.   

That also happened on a less expensive item (click-bond).

Best company I know of.

Bruce Hughes

The spring is some sort of spring steel allow, painted.  Pretty sure it used a stock die spring of some value.  Your diagram says 1094 lbs for an EZ but I could not immediately correlate that with  a spring manufacturer's part number.  I would guess the original mechanism was made by Ken Brock Mfg (out of business).  Used ones come up as people convert to electric nose lifts.  You might ask David Orr if he has one or they would not be hard for a machinist to make.  Search for David Orr Canardfinder.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

On 12/11/2019 at 12:27 AM, bmckinney10 said:

I just did this a couple years ago on my VariEze. I didn't bother installing the spring. The pushrod system didn't have it and I haven't felt a need for it. YMMV. I may have a source for the worm-gear hardware if he hasn't already sold it. I will check ...

Thanks Ron, I was contemplating not putting in the spring shock. I have a brand new, in-the-box worm gear drive system.  The previous owner bought it back in the 80's but never installed it.  He said the pushrod system worked fine and he put over 500 hours on the Varieze without issue..  My legs are a little wider and the pushrod rests up against my thigh when the gear is retractedso I think I will replace it.

• Like 1